running a marathon with type 1

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think Akins published his first book in the 1970s. Sorry I did not release that MDI were so new.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I think Akins published his first book in the 1970s. Sorry I did not release that MDI were so new.
I was first put on MDI in about 1996 I think ( the mind goes a bit hazy with all the years ( and injections -- LOL )

as to atkins -- his book then would not have been aimed at a type 1 audience to my knowledge
and in the late 1970's as a type 1 , aged 20 , weighing in at around 10 stone 7 and a bmi of 23 , eating 3 meals a day with a lot of green veg and fruit like apples and berries -- i would not have even glanced at a book on diet.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't understand why someone with Type1 on a long term very low carb diet could not of run a marathon with the inslins that were used in the 1970. What am I missing?
I think the most important thing you are missing is an appreciation and understanding of type 1 diabetes.
I was diagnosed in 1991.
2 injections daily. 6 a.m. 6 p.m. Instructions....... eat when you inject and during the day. Don't eat to much but Don't let your blood sugar go low. As good as the advice was back then, it really didn't do the condition justice.
Unlike @himtoo i didn't get advice about running, especially long distance running. What I did find out through trial and error (severe hypos) was that it was next to impossible to undertake endurance training.
No test meters to carry around, no correction doses afforded by mdi insulin regimes and no information on the big www to give help and advice.
As for the term " low carb " well I wouldn't have had a clue and doubt very much any hcp's would have much idea either.
Atkins.... again I recall mention of him but definitely not in any way related to Type1 diabetes and especially not marathon running.
This all relates to the 1990's
Things back in the 1970's when people like @himtoo were diagnosed must have been ultimately far more challenging and I think the fact these people are still here today is testament to them overcoming the multitude of challenges they faced back then.
Back in 1990 I would have loved to have had available what I have now.
What are you missing? Just a lack of information regarding Type1 diabetes.
As I often quote..... no one understands type 1 diabetes like a type 1 diabetic.

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In the 1970s, type 1s ran long distance and also competed in other sports at National level. They just worked out how to do it themselves. Information on diabetes and sport in the peer-reviewed scientific literature is still pathetically inadequate.

nickoedwards

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ran my first marathon in London 2010 and I'll never forget it. I was 29 at the time, I was diagnosed with diabetes T1 when I was 4 years old.

I found the training pretty challenging, not just because it's a long way but because the training is in the cold, wet winter months leading up to April. I had a large bowl of porridge for breakfast and I ran with 10 gels in a running bag, I used them all. All the way around there are thousands of people and the motivation is like nothing else you'll experience, in some areas the crowds are 10 deep.

For at least six months after the event, not a day went by without me reminiscing and my confidence remained sky high.

Good luck to everyone and enjoy!

If you've got any questions, give me a shout.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was lucky not to get T1 until I was 53 (2005) I don't know why but decided when in hospital after my diagnosis to do the London Marathon (actually to show that it wasn't going to stop me)
I didn't actually get in to the London until 2011 but in the meantime I did run the New Forest Marathon (18 months after diagnosis)plus several halfs. I was never fast, never going to be but I completed them. I found it very much more difficult in the early years as I couldn't reduce the basal and kept going low. I had to regularly take glucose tabs. It was much easier with the pump since i could reduce the basal to a tiny dribble.
Nevetheless, when I completed the London, I hung up my running shoes as I found the time it took to the long distances in training was becoming a burden.
(Now I walk 26km a day on walking holidays)
I found runsweet useful in explaining the physiology of T1 and running but I think what works for you is down to very regular testing during training + trial and unfortunately error.http://www.runsweet.com/

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
In the 1970s, type 1s ran long distance and also competed in other sports at National level. They just worked out how to do it themselves. Information on diabetes and sport in the peer-reviewed scientific literature is still pathetically inadequate.
that is good news _ i would be pleased to hear more on inspirational T1D people from the 1970's.
do you have more detail ??

KarenG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’m happy to share my reasonably limited experience of marathon training / running?

I’m MDI, T1 for nearly 40 years. Run two marathons over the last two years. I’m significantly slower than you though at 4 hrs 50 :)

I’d gradually reduced my carb intake over the year preceding but found, when running long (say eight miles plus) I could easily take on quite a lot of carbs after the run with pretty minimal insulin (of course it took me a while to work out that I needed less insulin:carbs immediately after that run, and usually in general 24 hours after).

I fuelled with shot blocks and found the Freestyle Libre an absolute godsend in my most recent marathon and training. I find blood testing mid run difficult (stopping, dealing with shaking hands, not knowing whether the number you get is flat, trending up or down etc) and Libre transformed this.

I also always run carrying a short acting insulin as sometimes (and I’ve never managed to work out the trigger for me personally though I do understand the science) my BS shoots way High very early on (plus 10 points worst case scenario) and that’s very uncomfortable indeed.

Good Luck!!

Reactions: Snapsy and Type1Bri

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Training well underway, D raises it's head somedays tho
3d36c8b305481fff52e21346c7ca70bb.jpg

Reactions: Snapsy

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i did a steady half marathon this afternoon was running a little bit low throughout i had a couple of gels but the blood was 3.8 when i got home i think mybe gave myself a little bit to much insulin before lunch

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I always try not to have any active bolus insulin on board prior to a run, easier said than done tho

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always try not to have any active bolus insulin on board prior to a run, easier said than done tho
Fab when it all works! I come a cropper at the gym quite often, thanks to being the spontaneous type....

I was pleased with my Libre line on my 10k this morning - was 7.9 on starting, having reduced my basal to 50% half an hour before, then kept it at 50% while I was running - was 6.8 when I finished, at which point I switched up to 100%. Had a bolus of 0.85u when I noticed a rapid climb within 5 minutes of finishing....... and then gently dipped down to the 5s before lunch.

Am currently WIDE AWAKE thanks to being in the 4s - so much so I'm considering getting out of bed to I dunno, clean the house or something. Maybe I'll have a snack instead, hmmmm?

I always get this after a run! Sigh. Glad I can turn my pump down. One day I'll work out the ideal adjustment timings so as to get on top of it. Like that'll ever happen!

:rolleyes:

Reactions: Type1Bri

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Fab when it all works! I come a cropper at the gym quite often, thanks to being the spontaneous type....

I was pleased with my Libre line on my 10k this morning - was 7.9 on starting, having reduced my basal to 50% half an hour before, then kept it at 50% while I was running - was 6.8 when I finished, at which point I switched up to 100%. Had a bolus of 0.85u when I noticed a rapid climb within 5 minutes of finishing....... and then gently dipped down to the 5s before lunch.

Am currently WIDE AWAKE thanks to being in the 4s - so much so I'm considering getting out of bed to I dunno, clean the house or something. Maybe I'll have a snack instead, hmmmm?

I always get this after a run! Sigh. Glad I can turn my pump down. One day I'll work out the ideal adjustment timings so as to get on top of it. Like that'll ever happen!

:rolleyes:
All about the trial and error lol

lukeeggy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Finally a morning with no high! Just an all time low! 1.8. Somehow increased to 11.8 at lunch.