Libre sensor

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good evening. Had a libre to trial today, just wondering if anyone had an average time of starting sensor and getting readings close to a finger blood test. Started at 3.30 still not close at the moment nearly 4 hrs later Tia.

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Hiya
I started my first one on Friday and I know it's only one time so not an average but it took around about 12 hours before I got results in the range of finger testing, I know that the recommended wait is about 24 hours before you start using it properly. It's addictive to keep scanning though isn't it.
Hope it goes well for you! X

Reactions: dbr10 and mrman

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you, yes, very addictive lol and I can use my phone to scan it to. Very handy I imagine when out and about (not driving). Won't need my lancet, strips, monitor etc. Just impatient to get consistency with my monitor to start using with confidence. If/when I get more sensors worth putting in day before current one runs out.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
It can take up to a day (24hrs) to settle, they are normally low during that time. There is a 5 -15min lag with sensor at all times. It's not accurate, nor are the finger blood strips, it will be rare that they match even allowing a 10 min time difference.

Reactions: mrman

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks chowie. Would be happy with close, don't have to match. Yes reading a lot lower at the moment.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

As the others have suggested the Libre may not be accurate. At times, it may not seem close especially when high or low.
But it’s value is not in a finger prick replacement: it is as a report of trends from which to tweak your treatment by understanding how long certain stake to affect your BG or which exercises lower your BG and when or ....
That said, it is still likely to take 24 hours or even more (some people wear two sensors for 48 hours).

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My reader reads high, as a rule. Very rarely do I get comparable readings between my Libre reader and my blood glucose monitor. But there's the time lag to consider. The fact that I find the trend arrow (when exercising) and graph line (all the time) particularly invaluable make this a piece of kit with serious balls.

LOVE it.

I always apply my next sensor 24-36 hours before its predecessor has expired. That way it's dealt with the dodgiest time period in advance, meaning I get a full 14 days of (one hopes) more accurate readings. I only activate it once the old one has expired, which is as I say 24-36 hours after I've bribed my husband to fire it into the back of my arm.

:)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Posted at same time as @helensaramay ! I have a day and a bit with a sensor on each arm every fortnight...... and oh boy they make me feel silly!

Worth it, though.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks snapsy, I thought I would have to activate new sensor when put in to adjust. So just put it in without activating and that will give it time to adjust.

Reactions: dbr10

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So just put it in without activating and that will give it time to adjust.
That's it, @brett . The waiting game doesn't do anything to the sensor per se, but that time between applying it and activating it is thought to allow the 'trauma' to the tissue the probe has entered to subside, and therefore gives steadier readings when it is activated.

That's how I understand it, anyway! I've done this with every single sensor I've used, and only twice have I ever had a problem with sensors - and in only one of those cases was it an issue with accuracy. It was a new one - Abbott customer services recommended being patient with it for another 24 hours, because it was only a day old - and lo and behold it did then put its big girl's pants on and started behaving in a more reasonable fashion.......

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I forgot to mention a few weeks ago I managed to get a 'HI' reading with a strip in the Libre reader, a 'LO' reading with my Neo all using the same blood sample, strips from the same pack that was well within date and not exposed to extreme temperatures and the Libre reading was normal and even an hour later it showed no radical fluctuations. I think the moral of the story is go by how you feel and if the meter says different go for a second reading preferably with different equipment.