Raised sugar levels at night

alibooto

Hi
I am a 47 year old female with Type 1 since 1991. Recently I have been recording high sugar levels at 2-3am each night. High sugars wake me and prevent me getting back to sleep so I am constantly tired. At the moment I inject Levemir x 1 unit in the morning and Levemir x 9 units at night. For breakfast I have Humalog x 6 units, Lunch x 8 units and Dinner x 8 units. I am tempted to inject Levemir mid afternoon in order to prevent these night time highs.. any thoughts? I did it once this week and had two or three hypos [not serious] during the early evening as a result. ANY thoughts would be gratefully received.

stabatha

I was experiencing this as well, would go to bed with perfect BGs wake up in morning with them in the 20s, they always started rising around 4am until i changed from levimer to lantus. Levimer just didnt do it for me and was very unpredictable for me, I ended up injecting 40 units each night to try and get better morning readings , but ended up with hypos in the day also tried splitting the dose, changed injecting from night to morning and it didnt do a thing , I was always too low or too high , I then changed to lantus and am down to 20 units at night and have better steadier control at last :D . It may not work for you as we are all different but worth talking to your diabetes nurse to see if she can suggest anything and maybe try you on a different insulin

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does increasing the night time dose of levemir help, or does that cause problems with hypos?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
alibooto said:
Hi
I am a 47 year old female with Type 1 since 1991. Recently I have been recording high sugar levels at 2-3am each night. High sugars wake me and prevent me getting back to sleep so I am constantly tired. At the moment I inject Levemir x 1 unit in the morning and Levemir x 9 units at night. For breakfast I have Humalog x 6 units, Lunch x 8 units and Dinner x 8 units. I am tempted to inject Levemir mid afternoon in order to prevent these night time highs.. any thoughts? I did it once this week and had two or three hypos [not serious] during the early evening as a result. ANY thoughts would be gratefully received.

What are your bed time readings like? if they are say 6mmol and you are sure your evening meal insulin is exhausted then a increase in bg is due to your basal insulin being inadequate. Increase the night-time levemir by a unit to see if this resolves your problem, but do so only if you are sure that your 2-3am high readings are not due to a earlier hypo in your sleep, try setting your alarm 2-3 hours after retiring to rule this out first.

Nigel

alibooto

Thank you to all who have replied. This is my first experience of asking other diabetics what I should do, and it's great to hear all the responses. I will check my levels a few hours after going to bed, and will talk to my nurse, as it's never occurred to me that the brand of long-acting could make a difference. Well, I'm a forum convert! Thanks.

alibooto

WELL! I know it's only day one, but I awoke with sugar levels of 7.7 and at 0100 this morning, they were 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Might not sound perfect to those of you out there, but for me, that's revolutionary!! To think that just changing brand could make such a difference. Thank you!

LWA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Soaps
Alibooti
Did you actually change your night time insulin or not as reading your last sentance it appears that you did? I have been type 1 for similar time as you and recently have had high day readings. I eventually found that by splitting my levimir am/pm gives me better control however i am still not please with my results. As with me It does sound like you need to balance your basal (levimir)!?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
alibooto said:
WELL! I know it's only day one, but I awoke with sugar levels of 7.7 and at 0100 this morning, they were 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Might not sound perfect to those of you out there, but for me, that's revolutionary!! To think that just changing brand could make such a difference. Thank you!

Small steps alibooto, small steps! :)

Keep up the good work

Nigel

stabatha

I know just how you feel :( thought it was me and something i was doing wrong all that time and it was extreamly frustrating :? , I changed my insulin and it was like magic :D saw a very big difference and could have kissed my nurse, just wish i had seen her sooner. Anyway glad your getting better results however your doing it, it does sound like you changed insulin, did you ? like i said in my previous post the Levimer just didn't work for me but the Lantus is perfect but then although they are both long acting insulins they do work in different ways so I suppose what works well with some doesn't in others