2x 10k’s, 1 x half and 2 marathons

Jeff_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good morning all,

I’ve booked a few runs for 2018, I just thought I would put the new pump through its paces.

So I will start in February with the BHF Harewood House half marathon, then April 1st North Tyneside 10k with the other half, off to Ripon for another 10k at the end of April, up to Edinburgh for the marathon in May and booked to do the Yorkshire marathon in October.

Other than the BHF half in February I wanted to raise some money for a diabetic charity, any reasons why one is better than another? I’ve been diagnosed 18 months and I am guessing some of you have done this sort of this in the past?

Anyway, off out for a slow 12 miles!

Happy Saturday everyone

Reactions: Type1Bri

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning @Jeff_uk im just back from 4 miles, it's too soggy tip for more than that this morning! I'll be doing the Weston Christmas cracker (10k along the beach in Weston super mare) in a couple of weeks, and I'm signed up for the bath half in March.

I did the bath half for JDRF last year (my first half marathon). JDRF is a global charity whose main focus is a cure for type 1, while the cure is worked on they also fund research into improvements in management for type 1 (things like smart insulin and artificial pancreases), they also provide things like kids sacks for newly diagnosed type 1 children, information for schools and employers. You could have a look for a JDRF discovery day near you to find out a bit more about their research programmes and see if you would like to fund raise for them.

The other big diabetes charity is Diabetes UK, they cover all types of diabetes, so type 1 and type 2 and type 1 is only 10% of the diabetic population. They are good with local groups, you could see if there is one near you and go along to a meet up to see if they are a charity you would like to fund raise for. They do a lot with advocacy packs to ensure people with diabetes are aware of their rights at work and at schools etc.

Jeff_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Morning @catapillar good to get out for an early run right? Felt pretty good out today, ran about 8:30 miles so a little quicker than I thought I was going to. I can’t wait to get involved in a few organised runs.

JRDF seem to be the charity that I know more about, I will do some more research, time is on my side.

Thanks @Scott-C I will take a look.

If anyone wants to follow my training on strava please feel free to follow, it’s chris jefferson, says I live in Shepshed, you will start to notice with my runs I no longer live there!!

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Morning @catapillar good to get out for an early run right? Felt pretty good out today, ran about 8:30 miles so a little quicker than I thought I was going to. I can’t wait to get involved in a few organised runs.

JRDF seem to be the charity that I know more about, I will do some more research, time is on my side.

Thanks @Scott-C I will take a look.

If anyone wants to follow my training on strava please feel free to follow, it’s chris jefferson, says I live in Shepshed, you will start to notice with my runs I no longer live there!!
ill follow you on strava lookout for david setterington i dont see being diabetic as holding back very much just myself not training hard anoth and drinking to much i still try though

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Davie_sett looks like you put in some pretty solid training! Have you been diabetic a long time?
iv been diabetic since i was about 8 so most of my life this year iv done allot of cycling find that really helps keep the blood sugar down.
is there a time your aiming to get for the half marathon or do you just want to complete it?

Jeff_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
iv been diabetic since i was about 8 so most of my life this year iv done allot of cycling find that really helps keep the blood sugar down.
is there a time your aiming to get for the half marathon or do you just want to complete it?

You’ve plenty of experience that we can tap into then .

So since being diagnosed with Type 1 18 months back, as with a lot of diabetics my thyroid decided it had had enough too, so I’m battling with weight management a little too. If I can shift some of this excess weight I would love to be running it at 7:20-7:40min mile pace, I think realistically I would settle for a 8 min mile so 1:45 would be a good time for me and really my goal!

Going into the first, and my first marathon in May I would like to stick to this pace so aiming for a 3:30 marathon, hoping to wear a libre so I won’t have to stop dry my hands, check and then carry on.

Do you stop to check on longer stints?

Reactions: Snapsy

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You’ve plenty of experience that we can tap into then
emoji6.png

So since being diagnosed with Type 1 18 months back, as with a lot of diabetics my thyroid decided it had had enough too, so I’m battling with weight management a little too. If I can shift some of this excess weight I would love to be running it at 7:20-7:40min mile pace, I think realistically I would settle for a 8 min mile so 1:45 would be a good time for me and really my goal!

Going into the first, and my first marathon in May I would like to stick to this pace so aiming for a 3:30 marathon, hoping to wear a libre so I won’t have to stop dry my hands, check and then carry on.

i stop every now and again when im cycling never ran more than half a marathon iv never checked my blood during running i think it would probably be worth checking my after the first hour of a marathon if you have chanc think on my next half marathon ill take more gels i think after about 60 mins of running i really start to run out of energy
You’ve plenty of experience that we can tap into then .

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
iv never actually taken my testing kit with me when im out running no were to put it and i dont normally run longer than about an hour mybe if i start doing longer easy kind of runs i might take it and mybe check about half way through.
when im cycling i like to check it about every 90mins or if i stop at a cafe or something

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sooooooo not in your league, you lot, being a relatively new runner, but I'm running a lot more frequently and more distance than I used to, and I'm doing a half marathon in February, having got several 10ks under my belt. Too much too soon? Almost certainly. Wibble.......

There are three things I always have with me when out running - a small (old test strip) pot of Glucotabs, my Libre reader and a clean hanky (how people don't run with access to a hanky I've no idea! Perhaps it's just a 'me' thing). All are and have been both necessary and useful. Oh, and I take my insulin pump with me, obv!

I bip my sensor before a run, and immediately after, and if it's anything longer than parkrun I'll probably bip it a couple of times en route. I can see any rise or drop, and deal with it accordingly. It feels to me like a lifeline - it gives me so much confidence. If I didn't have it, I wouldn't be running, to be honest, and I'd still be a sofa junkie. I've never done a fingerprick test when on a run, nor am I really tempted to.

If I'm not local, or not with my running club mates, or if I'm alone, or if I'm going to be out for over an hour and a half, I take my phone and my full test kit, a snack and a drink in a tiny rucksack. Never have I needed any of that lot, mind!!! Oh, and the last long run I did I stuck a tenner in my rucksack as an afterthought. Just as well, as we got distracted on the way home by a FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST.......

:joyful:

Jeff_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I really want the freestyle libre @Snapsy, just can’t really warrant paying out £50 every couple of weeks!! How do you deal with the cold? When I’ve used them in the past they stop working when it gets too chilly

I know exactly what you mean about the hanky, I don’t carry one but I should!

I carry a full kit every time I run!! Maybe I should just trust myself a little, I don’t stop and check if I’m running anything up to 10k but anything over that I stop after 40 minutes, finger prick which is a nightmare as I’m sweaty and I get so many errors on the monitor! Take on gluco’s which is normally a gel and water and crack on!

I run first thing in a morning, should have gone out this morning but at 5am I woke up to find my BG to be 14.5, I feel if I get out I’m just going to feel rubbish and don’t like taking QA just before a run!! So went back to sleep. Eating out catches me out so much, and we eat out all the time. I go to bed at 9ish so don’t give myself the opportunity to have a check of my bloods and correct. I went to bed with bloods of around 11 last night, corrected with 1.25QA and woke up with bloods of 14+ some fats in my foods last night must have kept them down for a while!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I really want the freestyle libre @Snapsy, just can’t really warrant paying out £50 every couple of weeks!! How do you deal with the cold? When I’ve used them in the past they stop working when it gets too chilly
emoji300.png
It's an expensive habit I can ill-afford financially, but in terms of actually getting the best out of my life they're priceless. I've recently taken on an extra job.....

I think the sensors work down to 4 degrees - if I'm running bare-armed I wear a wristwarmer (stripy, knitted.......) high up on my arm to cover it and keep it cosy, and it's usually okay. I learned the hard way on my first cross country last December - couldn't get a reading all the way round! Having my blood test kit on me wouldn't've been any help either as I'm sure the blood in my fingers was frozen........!

What does QA stand for? From the context I assume it's to do with a correction dose, but I don't know that acronym! Bad luck with eating out having caught you out. A pub lunch 'got' me on Monday - I was SO CROSS.

:)

Jeff_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was wondering if just covering it would work, I normally just forget, start running and then get a blue thermometer telling me it’s too cold.

QA stands for quick acting, doesn’t really mean anything as a pump user, bust still class any Bolus (correction and eating) as QA, I just become hyper sensitive to it and not worked out how much I should correct if I am just about to go for a run yet. Sure I will work if out.

Yeah I wasn’t best pleased! I think I need to try wake up around midnight to try correct if I eat out and I’m not sure I’ve got it right, that way bloods should be good when I wake up but the bolus is clear before I run! Also high BG’s all night is really not good for me I guess!!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh I see - of course, quick acting!

I had a snack and a small amount of insulin before a run last week, and plummeted to 2.9 partway round. Had neither before a more recent run and spiked to 14.4 partway round. Was 10 when I got back to the car, 7 and dropping when I got home, and sub-4 all night.

Ho hum. Just gotta keep working at it.......! But like you I don't like having insulin on board for running.

:)

Jeff_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So after another morning high on wake up I think I need to make a change! Going to change my ratio for evening meal first to see if it’s that that I’m getting wrong! Maybe my carb counting isn’t so bad, looks like I’ll be waking up at 2am to check my BG to make sure my basal overnight is right.

Planned for a jog with the other half this morning and that’s what we did, nothing too strenuous and was only 10.4mmol when I woke up so better than yesterday

Jeff_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Davie_sett

Looks like you put in a good training run yesterday at a pace I can only dream of at the minute!

If you don’t mind me asking would love to know how you plan for your runs, you went out early afternoon, I tend to get out early so I don’t have any bolus insulin onboard, do you wait 4-5 hours after your last bolus? Would you have had lunch before you start?

Are you on a pump?

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Davie_sett

Looks like you put in a good training run yesterday at a pace I can only dream of at the minute!

If you don’t mind me asking would love to know how you plan for your runs, you went out early afternoon, I tend to get out early so I don’t have any bolus insulin onboard, do you wait 4-5 hours after your last bolus? Would you have had lunch before you start?

Are you on a pump?
going out at that times not ideal for me for me to be honest it wastnt to long after lunch im just on novo rapid and levimere insulin i take 22 units of levimere in the evening at about 8-9 normally i got up late that day and didnt do allot alot in the morning so the blood shot up to about 17 that normally happens if i stay in bed late not sure why.
i just gave myself 8 units of novo rapid before lunch which was probably abit because the blood sugar was falling pretty fast i had a bottle of lucozade before i set of and a gel at 5 and 10 miles. I never actually tested my blood for a couple of hours when i got home
I felt pretty good considering it was about -2 frozen kinda snow everywhere.