MODY

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told that my diabetes is MODY.

You say you were told you are MODY. Was that conclusion based upon the results of genetic testing?

There are members with MODY. I'm afraid I can't remember names to tag them, but there is an option to choose MODY as you diabetes type under your avatar - currently you are showing as insulin dependent type 2.

You've put your question in the blood glucose monitoring sub forum, so other MODY members might not see it here.

Reactions: Down-Jai 001

Rie26

Type of diabetes
MODY
Hiya - yes I'm mody (1a). Only recently been diagnosed after thinking I was type 2 for the last 15 years x

Down-Jai 001

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
#catapilla
Yes,it was. The result from the request blood testing by my D. consultant. I am not over weigh ( H 5 ' weigh 47 kg) leading active lifestyle but my diabetes had been in my family for generations.

Down-Jai 001

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Billy 7764 MODY is short for "Maturity onset diabetes of the young".

desidiabulum

Hi -- I have MODY. Treatment will vary depending on which type of MODY you have (which depends on which gene is involved). Do you know what blood tests you were actually given?

Reactions: Rie26

Down-Jai 001

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Let me refer to my consultant's letter the treatment he decided for me is the tablets: gliclazide 20 mg and I am waiting to see my GP at the moment.

Last edited:

Rie26

Type of diabetes
MODY
About a month ago I started 20mg gliclazide as well. The only thing I would say with it is not to skip meals and eat regularly x

Rie26

Type of diabetes
MODY
I'm sure your doctor will fill you in more :) make sure they give you a blood testing machine too as it can sometimes cause hypos. 20mg is a smaller dose though. What type of mody do you have? I'm 1a.

Rie26

Type of diabetes
MODY
I've only been on gliclazide about a month so haven't had a test yet to see my overall level but I test 4 times a day and they are normally between 4-7. I've had a few hypos (originally started on 40mg..too much so lowered) lowest being 2.8. Thankfully I only seem to be having a hypo 1 a week.

Down-Jai 001

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rie 26
For the last 18 years I had been on medications for T2 and it got out of controll and in January 2016 a consultant put me on Lantus insulin10 units plus 6 tablets,metformin also Gliclazide. The result, I collapsed most evenings I fear hypothermia happend during the nights and after blood tests read bellow 4 mmol/L , I had to come down for something to eat before I have another black out again.Finally,My husband suggested stopping these tablets and reduce the insulin down to 6 units.which is better.

It was pure luck that I was referred to a new consultant who runs his own clinic in his way. He took the interest in my case and suggested the blood test for MODY. Here I am a MODY patient.
I also started LCHF diet and carry on with my exercises walking and swimming. It seems to be working for me.
Unfortunately, my first appointment to see my GP is not untill 9 th January next year. I suppose it's not life and death.
Take care and thank you for the reply.