Vision

thomasrichmond_16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I was diagnosed about 2 months ago with type 1 and ever since I've been on iinsulin my long distance vision has been awful! What's happening?

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Book an appointment at the opticians, it's free for you now. Tell them you are diabetic T1. They will understand what this means.

High sugars put pressure on the blood vessels in the back of the eye as they are so fine, this changes the shape of the eye causing a lens distortion and change in vision. That's the technical nerdy bit.

IT could caused by many factors, to name a few.
Your new to this, your body is learning
Diet not ideal yet
You are young

Please go see someone ideally in the next few days, not to play scare tactics but Diabetes has the capability to cause long term eye damage, you are in a position to prevent this, take the opportunity

Reactions: thomasrichmond_16

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
its just a temporary issue your bg levels have dropped the fluid in the eyes reacts quite quickly however the glucose in the lenses take a lot longer. you should start seeing an improvement soon. dont buy new glasses yet. you will be called for a diabetic eye test quite soon. obviously dont drive until your sight is back to normal.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I was diagnosed about 2 months ago with type 1 and ever since I've been on iinsulin my long distance vision has been awful! What's happening?

Hi Thomas - Many folks, of all types find their vision to be a bit iffy when they are diagnosed. As they settle into their diabetes care, their vision can change, often because of the impact of their high blood sugars, leading to diagnosis, has had an impact on their eyes.

It is very wise to have your eyes checked out, sooner rather than later though. Our eyes, and our sight, is too precious to make assumptions over.

Good luck with it all.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Vision was the weirdest bit of my diagnosis. About 5 weeks before diagnosis I lost my long vision and saw the optician - who put it down to needing a new prescription. Good thing I didn't get new glasses because for a few weeks after starting on insulin I had 20:20 vision and I've been shortsighted since a child! It has now settled down to around the same prescription it was before I got sick - but it was a very odd experience.

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For me, my long distance vision was what made me realise I had diabetes. It went very quickly, followed by polyurea. A few days after the insulin (when BG went down from 26 to about 12), the distance vision came back, but when it was back down to single digits, I struggled a little with near vision. Now that has corrected itself.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been diagnosed around 6 months now. In the early days my long vision was quite poor. Since my bloods have dropped my sights improved, but when my sugars go high my sight deteriorates temporarily for both long and short distances.

I do get by with my sight even though i know i will need glasses. I actually got prescribed specs just before my diagnosis but they are no good as my vision fluctuates and I look like a serial killer.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jc3131 . You paint a fascinating picture. Perhaps it would have been more apt to describe yourself as a " cereal killer"
I have a sense of humour and was trying to picture what a serial killer with poor eyesight would actually look like. Not everyone has a similar sense of humour though.;););)

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
@thomasrichmond_16 My distance vision was so bad all of a sudden pre-diagnosis, I went for an eyetest at specsavers, they prescribed specs and didn't ask me if I had any health issues. Two weeks later my new specs were useless... I went to another optician who did ask the right questions.. was i drinking more than usual? on the loo all night?.. losing weight etc.. He prescribed reading glasses and advised me to see my G.P.... I was diagnosed diabetic.. My eyes took around 3 months to settle back down as I learned how to get better control of my blood glucose levels. It's a shock at first but I'm sure you'll be o.k.

thomasrichmond_16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thanks everyone!! i had a diabetic eye test and was all fine. vision express gave me some distance glasses last month