Dray_F96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Diabetes family,

I'm a recently diagnosed Type 1 diabetic coming up 7 weeks on Friday. At the moment I have coped with it well and got on with my life and adjusted pretty well, my Blood glucose levels have stayed quite consistent between 4 and 6 mmol/L for the past month and not having much hypos. I am currently taking Apidra just before meals (around 4-6 units) and Lantus (8 units) before bedtime.
My struggle I want advice about is dealing with fatigue as my energy levels are quite bad as basic everyday activities such as making thr bed in the morning can be a struggle and going to work and college can feel like a mission.
I've asked my nurse about this and her suggestions, which they said that its my body adjusting to normal levels after being high for so long along with putting back on the weight I lost before being diagnosed.
If there's anybody with any advice that would be very useful, and would do the world of good for me!

Kind Regards

Dray

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @Dray_F96 Welcome to the forum :)

It's a major upheaval to the body being diagnosed with type 1, your body has been through a major event so don't be surprised that it needs time to recover, it can take a while to get energy back into the cells and to start functioning as per pre diabetic days. Take things slowly for a while, it will come good but listen to your body and take things easy for a few months.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I mostly agree with my colleague @Juicyj
I would add that you should just keep an eye on yourself should these feelings not subside................. unfortunately there are other autoimmune conditions that can present as well....... just be vigilant ....

and a huge welcome to the forum !!!!!!!!!:)

Reactions: Sweetheart66

Dray_F96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Juicyj for the advice, that was really helpful. I would've thought it would only last a few weeks!
I'll try take it easy and take it on board!

Reactions: himtoo

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @Dray_F96 I was only diagnosed just under 6 years ago but remember it took me a good few months to regain my energy, I felt disappointed as I thought when I started taking insulin that I would magically return to normal straight away but when you think that your body has been under great stress for a while it makes sense to think that it will take time to recover, but also as @himtoo has said if this does continue see your GP to get checked over in case there’s another reason :)

Reactions: Sweetheart66

Dray_F96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Juicyj and @himtoo for the advice, it's great getting advice from fellow diabetics, it has been frustrating because its making me feel like an old man at times!

But I'm learning to be more patient and take extra care of myself, hopefully there isnt any other underlying causes and will keep you guys updated on how I am feeling.

Thanks again,

Dray

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Dray_F96 . Welcome to the forum.
Seems like you're coping wonderfully with life as a diabetic.
Great advice from the legendary @Juicyj and @himtoo as is to be expected.
One question. Have you made any drastic changes to your diet since diagnosis?
There are a lot of dietary options available to T1 diabetics, it can sometimes be a case of finding the one that best suits you.
Finding a balance of essential foods applicable to you as an individual could maybe help.
Only a suggestion. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Dray_F96

Dray_F96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @therower thanks for the nice welcome to the forum, its much appreciated!:)

In terms of my diet I haven't changed it too much, I'd say I eat more wholemeal foods than i used to in terms of when i eat carbs to fill me longer if I can and been eating more fruits and vegetables (over 5 portions a day easy) lately especially for snacks so i don't have to worry about taking extra insulin during snacks. Before diabetes I was quite an active healthy young lad, had a balanced healthy diet and never really the type to splurge in junk food so adjusting hasnt been as hard as i would've thought diet wise.

I used to like a little cup of tea and biscuit from time to time before diabetes, but pretty much thats it!

I'd say i need to get to get back drinking more water like i used to and my urine's been a bit dehydrated since diagnosis as I'm enjoying not feeling thirsty or running to the toilet at nightime anymore! Lol

Thanks again Diabetes family for the support, I've gotten great advice from you all which has been really helpful and will definitely use this forum often for any queries.

Dray

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Dray_F96 . Well it sounds like you've got a good grasp of your life with T1.
No reason why you can't still have a cuppa and a biscuit.
Definitely make sure to keep well hydrated.
Take your time, it's still early days for you.
After about 5 yrs of being diagnosed I started to feel lethargic, but as it was a gradual thing I didn't really notice anything amiss.
A routine 6 month check up revealed an under active thyroid, a common problem for us lucky souls.
A few tablets a day and problem solved, felt great afterwards.
Might be worth a mention to your diabetic team, it's only a blood test.

Reactions: Dray_F96 and himtoo

Dray_F96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice @therower , I've spoken to my diabetic team about my concern about my tiredness and energy levels last week during my check up appointment at the hospital and checked my thyroid function from my last HbA1c which they said seems to be fine, they think because my sugar levels are now recently stable and it being early days which is the cause of it.

I'll definitely take your advice on board, I have another appointment coming around New Year so hopefully I learn a bit more there too.

Reactions: Juicyj

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Dray. I'm 6 months into my type 1 life and I still don't feel great. Some days I'm fine but others i feel lethargic and full of aches and pains. Couple that with being up and down with my moods and it's a bit of a nightmare. The low moods are down to the constant highs and lows of the condition. I personally feel that all that is too much for our bodies to take all at once and like mentioned in the previous posts, time will help as our bodies need to adjust.

Dray_F96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Jc3131 for your support too, its always nice to hear from fellow diabetics. I got diagnosed 6 weeks before my 21st birthday. It's definitely a struggle at times, especially adjusting; I feel already diabetes has made me a stronger person already mentally!:):)

Thanks for the support and positive messages everybody has sent me, it's very encouraging and has really boosted my confidence in adjusting to diabetes. I hope Sunderland get a win tomorrow too @Jc3131 because I know you guys are on a bit of a bad run at the moment lol!

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Jc3131 for your support too, its always nice to hear from fellow diabetics. I got diagnosed 6 weeks before my 21st birthday. It's definitely a struggle at times, especially adjusting; I feel already diabetes has made me a stronger person already mentally!:):)

Thanks for the support and positive messages everybody has sent me, it's very encouraging and has really boosted my confidence in adjusting to diabetes. I hope Sunderland get a win tomorrow too @Jc3131 because I know you guys are on a bit of a bad run at the moment lol!
People say we need a win, especially at home to get the monkey off our back. The monkey is more like a silverback gorilla at the moment.

leahkian

Dray_F96 When you get diabetes you either sink or swim and it sounds like you are swimming you find that you get ready to battle diabetes and it does make you a stronger person, you say you have had a few hypos which can also make you feel tired. As you have been told your body has been all shook up and needs time to heal and restore itself, do you have any other medical problems apart from the diabetes as if you do this may be effecting you as well. Some people take longer to get back to normal and also you need to drink more water as if you do not drink enough your blood pressure may drop which will also make you feel tired. Check your urine as the darker it is the more fluids you need you need to have clear urine if you can but if you still keep feeling tired you may need some blood tests done as you could be low on vitamins and i am sure you have been told that your immune system is lower with having diabetes. Keep on going and you will get there

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The low moods are down to the constant highs and lows of the condition.

Hi @Jc3131 Yes the highs and lows will affect your mood, if you can find a balance then it will help stabilise your moods, there are things you can do such as eating low carb, doing a pre-bolus before eating, as for anyone struggling the best book to read is ‘Think like a pancreas’ it’s written by a type 1 and is a useful read :)

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Hi Dray & JC3131,
There is another thing that really screws everything up and that is stress and emotions. Everyone is different, but it will take a while to feel comfortable with the fact you are Diabetic, the 5 stages of grief / loss are denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Except for acceptance the other stages are not necessarily in that order. Even then you will become a little depressed, every so often that is why this forum is so critical, when you are sinking call out.

Your greatest support is here as we living what you are going through, a great medical team is important, but we have one thing they don't, we live it. I saw a dietician after many years as I'm onto the next Diabetic game a pump. I mentioned my goal of under 6.5% her response was as if she was after that goal, surprised I said are you diabetic, no she said that's the goal I want you to go for. :(
Personally I find serious exercise really helps when I'm not travelling for work I ride a pushbike to and from work a total of 160m or 200Km a week with a lot of really steep hills. I feel so much better, however Dray, stay away from that sort of exercise for a while, JC if your Drs say go for it start, but build up slowly.