Cell novo

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Should be starting on the cell novo pump early December. Had app confirmed. Just wondering anyone else using this pump? And how do they get on with it. Previously had accu chek combo but 4 years was up in April this year. Local hospital issues caused a long delay in getting new pump.

WHM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Brett
I’ve been using the Cellnovo system for a year now (previously Omnipod and Animas Vibe), when it works well I think it is much better than those two. HOWEVER I have had lots of issues with it including cartridge failures, handset issues, communication issues.
The helpline staff are very good with advice and replacing faulty items and the company are in the process of automating production of the cartridges which should produce a more reliable product.
On the plus side you can remove and replace the pump & cartridge when required, unlike the Omnipod pump operation is silent (irritating clicks from Omnipod pump when delivering I found) also it is the only handset I have used which allows you to read the screen in bright sunshine much like a smartphone. Also the glucose results and all pump actions are uploaded automatically to a Cellnovo server so no hassle with Diasend anymore!
Hope this helps, don’t hesitate to ask if I can help with anything else.
Good luck

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you @WHM. I'm sure I will have lots of questions in the new year. Met with diabetic nurse and cell novo rep today and decided to wait till feb for new pump. Apparently a newer updated version will be available with 1 change I know of a more responsive hand set. Lucky me will be the first from my hospital to obtain it. Also came away with a libre handset and a sensor to trial with a hope to getting prescribed in a fortnight's time. ..

Last edited:

WHM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Brett
Pleased to hear you will be getting the updated system. From what I’ve been told the communication should be improved, currently it isn’t very good also the strict 72 hour cartridge expiry will be modified to add several hours on, at the moment the pump stops exactly 72 hours even if in the midst of delivering a bolus!!
Please let us know when you start and don’t hesitate to ask if you have any queries.
Regards

Reactions: mrman

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you. I know my start day will be 20th Feb, a little bit excited lol

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Thank you @WHM. I'm sure I will have lots of questions in the new year. Met with diabetic nurse and cell novo rep today and decided to wait till feb for new pump. Apparently a newer updated version will be available with 1 change I know of a more responsive hand set. Lucky me will be the first from my hospital to obtain it. Also came away with a libre handset and a sensor to trial with a hope to getting prescribed in a fortnight's time. ..
what area are you in if getting libre sensor prescribed. I am in Bristol and decision not made yet? I self fund and it killing me as so expensive

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
what area are you in if getting libre sensor prescribed. I am in Bristol and decision not made yet? I self fund and it killing me as so expensive

Well, to update i got a signed letter from consultant requesting sensors to beput on prescription to give to doc. Just over the bridge from Bristol, south west wales

Stef75

Hello

Cellnovo pump still have any problem or they already improve it to be better ?
Anyone are happy with this pump or is it really awfull pump for Sur ?

Thank you for your answers

Battman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve been on a Cellnovo pump since last March, been great, lowered by h1abc by 40%! Only 4 insulin cartridge failures so far, about 80 used ! I self fund a libre too, it’s been a bit problematic too, some bg reading +3 above or below proper tests. Heard that some Cellnovo users here in Sheffield are having issues and the hospital has ceased offering them.

jimlemans

Terrible Pump! Batteries don't charge, insulin cartridges fail, BG reader doesn't recognise strips, communication between the pump and handset can be non-existent or painfully slow.

There was supposed to be an update to the handset in March last year but nothing yet, I won't hold my breath for February!

I was forced to revert to pens last weekend as all three pump batteries had pump errors. I'm going to use pens when I go on holiday as the amount of spares I'd need to take with me for a week would fill a case by themselves! I'm seriously thinking of going back to using pens full time - after 10 years pumping. In 8 years with Animas I only ever had 2 issues.

jimbaxter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@jimlemans I have had similar issues, I sent a long list of issues to my Cellnovo rep in November and she said the new software was in progress, so I hope it is released soon.

During that period I switched back to my Animas for 6 days and felt so much more relaxed not wondering if the IC was going to suddenly fail unexpectedly.