Type 2 Weight?

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a really silly question but since the weather has turned cold my weight has increased by approx 3lbs or so. I am not eating any different from before and I am really feeling the cold now I've lost so much weight. Could my body be reacting to being so cold?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a really silly question but since the weather has turned cold my weight has increased by approx 3lbs or so. I am not eating any different from before and I am really feeling the cold now I've lost so much weight. Could my body be reacting to being so cold?

It wouldn't be helpful to speculatively answer your question, Carol, so I'll ask a couple of questions in reply to your own. :)

Firstly, have you had your thyroid checked lately? Symptoms of an under-active thyroid can be both feeling the cold and weight gain.

Are you finding you are more sedentary, now the weather isn't so friendly? If your moving around regime decreases, but food intake remains the same, it could potentially lead to a slow weight gain?

Three pounds doesn't seem an excessive gain. Could that just be from day to day variances?

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod Yes I have an under-active thyroid but I had that before T2 and weight loss I was never cold then. Perhaps I am not walking as much as it's so cold.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod Yes I have an under-active thyroid but I had that before T2 and weight loss I was never cold then. Perhaps I am not walking as much as it's so cold.

Perhaps it could be helpful to have a run of bloods done, just to check a few things out. Thyroid, and other hormonal levels can be subject to variances, sometimes without any discernible reason.

I have odd temperature regulation issues which have been under investigation for some time, so I understand your frustration.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was opposite @carol43 , I had coldness and weight gain from underactive thyroid pre diagnoses. Mine too was diagnosed before the diabetes.
Less activity can stall my weight loss. I normally add every winter, without fail.
I'm having chest pains again which I feel is only when I take less painkillers and/or less or missed asthma treatment.
I'm not anxious any more than normal.

What is normal for you, in the cold weather? Do you normally add?

Is this out of character for your body at wintertime?

jackors

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have under active thyroid and I have found that it's affecting my bs big time and it makes me feel very tired at times

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ickihun I've never had this much weight loss in my whole life so I wouldn't know if it is normal for me to put more weight on. I'm thinking now that I am not walking as far as I would when it's warmer. Roll on spring.
@jackors I've never had any symptons of my thyroid problem.

jackors

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You may not think so and may be you didn't but under active thyroid can make you tired and over active can make you want to paint the nation day and night can also make you loose weight just for the record you can have one and then for no reason go the way

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ickihun I've never had this much weight loss in my whole life so I wouldn't know if it is normal for me to put more weight on. I'm thinking now that I am not walking as far as I would when it's warmer. Roll on spring.
@jackors I've never had any symptons of my thyroid problem.
Underactive thyroid causes weight gain not weight loss either.
Do you have moments of extreme tiredness then loads of energy, not being abke to sleep. Irratic functions? As it could be your thyroid playing up, altogether. Your gp needs to know and needs some daily activities (sleep patterns etc.). Is your gp aware of severe weight loss hun?

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ickihun No extreme tiredness nor loads of energy, I sleep very well (except when OH is snoring). The GP reduced my dosage last time but I was taking T3 then but cannot get hold of it now and NHS will not supply it. I have a blood test in February.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ickihun No extreme tiredness nor loads of energy, I sleep very well (except when OH is snoring). The GP reduced my dosage last time but I was taking T3 then but cannot get hold of it now and NHS will not supply it. I have a blood test in February.
See what happens. They may need to increase it in t3 absence or reduction.

So that would prove not bad diet induced underactive thyroid. Hiroshima's disease?

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ickihun No I don't feel unwell. I have been taking T3 because I had a private blood test that showed that I wasn't converting T4 to T3 but I can't get any more T3 as the country I got them from has insisted that it needs a prescription. I felt very well with taking the T3.