What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK so a catch up thanks to the hamsters yesterday. Was still battling the cold yesterday but bed on 7.2 wasn't fatal FBG was 6.3.
Skipped breakfast.
L. That omelette again. I had to use up 1 bit gluten free black pudding, 2 smoked turkey rashers, 4 cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and courgetti.
Tassimo Americano Grande with a dash of cream.
D. Rib eye steak, wilted spinach , mushrooms and celeriac chips.
Whey hay chocolate ice cream with raspberries.

Today - Friday

Bed 5.8 FBG 6.8

Decided to give Aqua a go as the pool is usually steamy for the wee ones coming in tomorrow. Couldn't work as hard as usual but I survived.
B. 2 rashers smoked turkey rashers and a fried egg. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Made a load of that curried squash soup but this time 100% squash.
D. Had another bowl of that curried squash soup and 1/2 lidl high protein roll with lurpack.
I've made more chia pudding but may not get any until tomorrow.

Wonder if any of the soup will make it to the freezer this time?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting day for me too yesterday, @Boo1979

Breakfast - none
Lunch - Pret A Manger Tuna Niçoise salad minus olives and with my own mayonnaise instead of their dressing. 0.3 mmol rise from 4.1 to 4.3
Dinner - Nando’s. 3 plain wings, plain chicken leg with salad. 20g Hema 85% chocolate. 0.5 mmol rise.
Snack on train - 2 small pieces of cheese. Ignored the biscuits and chutney but decided to try the very small chocolate that came with it. Bit into the chocolate but couldn’t finish it. Tasted soooo sweet! Satisfied my curiosity and means I will no longer look longingly at the milk chocolate I used to love. No rise in BG at all.
At hotel managed to devour the remains of the Hema 85% chocolate (so 100g consumed in total). 1mmol rise.

So despite all that food, only 25g carbs (I am usually below 20g) and no real impact on blood sugars. Won’t be getting carried away, but shows that I can be a bit more relaxed so long as I stick to low carb. Just finished a hotel breakfast - another treat as I usually skip, but plenty of low carb foods on offer.
My weird 'I no longer yearn for food' happened on Tuesday. 2 mothers next to me in soft play had ordered 2 portions of chips with brown sauce from the cafe to eat while the kiddies ran riot. No 2 was at gym monkeys so I'd nipped in for a black tea. I used to long for a few chips - this time the smell turned my stomach and they were freshly made too!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another interesting day - the experiment today was a kiwi fruit which sent my sugars soaring last time I tested it - today saw the pretest 6.1 drop to 5.6 at 2 hours. Sugars have also been pretty flat all day and continuing the trend of significantly lower fasting BMs with the scores on the doors today ranging between 5.6 and 7.1. The estimated hba1c generated by My sugar app is also continuing to drop and is now 40.8 - the only thing Im doing differently is avoiding foods I was diagnosed as having an intolerance to 10 - 15 years pre diabetes diagnosis - long may it continue
B - paleo muesli with cashew nut milk
L - Lidl protein roll with sugar free peanut butter
Test - Kiwi fruit
D - baked haddock with steamed broccoli and green beans
Snacks - 15g dark chocloate with chilli, 4 pecan nut halves
56g carbs today

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hhhmmm lets see if i can remember the last few days.

no breakfasts, just coffeesubstitute and cream or cream substitute except for that 6oz 100% beefburger with fried egg and 2 rashers with gf bun. sooooo much nicer than that awful thing Maccies make, and i could eat the bun with this one! Didn't need to eat for 9 hours after that.
snacks of 70% lindt
one lunch of a pub meal of salmon, salad and a few sweet potato fries.
skipped the other lunches and fasted instead.
dinners have been slow cooked ox cheeks with green veg, roast lamb with green veg, rib of beef with coleslaw and 5 potato chips, crackslaw and some cold meat salad.
plus have been 3xberriesncream with cream substitutes, and 2x lc applecrumblecake.
v odd to be (temporarily) in an environment where puds are eaten with every evening meal.

even with the chips, my bgs have been okish, but my knees hurt, so there was accidental gluten ingestion somewhere in that lot... maybe a dusting of something on the sweet potato fries.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My weird 'I no longer yearn for food' happened on Tuesday. 2 mothers next to me in soft play had ordered 2 portions of chips with brown sauce from the cafe to eat while the kiddies ran riot. No 2 was at gym monkeys so I'd nipped in for a black tea. I used to long for a few chips - this time the smell turned my stomach and they were freshly made too!

Smell is really powerful. I find that I can smell the sugar in pastries etc when walking past a bakery- completely off putting.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So another (unplanned) experiment yesterday. And my first 3 meal day in a while.

Breakfast - wasn’t intending to eat, but went into hotel lounge in search of cream (only semi-skimmed milk available). Decided to eat and had a couple pieces bacon, tiny amount of scrambled egg, very small sausage and couple slices salami.

Lunch - Five Guys. Bunless cheeseburger with lettuce tomato mayonnaise and onion.

Then came the experiment. Back in the hotel lounge and succumbed to some crisps, well quite a lot of them! One hour later, BG had gone down 0.2 mmols. Fat must have slowed things down and up a total of 1.9 mmols after 2 hours. Back down below where I started at 3 hours. So not a disaster at all, but BG ran a bit higher than normal for the rest of today and FBG a bit higher today, but very acceptable at 5.5.

Dinner - trusty Nando’s. 3 plain wings, plain chicken leg with salad.

Back to one meal a day for the next couple of days.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: bacon, sausage, egg, beans, mushroom, large tomato and a tiny slice of GF brown bread. Herb tea.
L: not needed!
D: a small handful of GF corn and chia dorito style things, homemade guacamole, salsa, green salad and dairy free cream cheese with smoked chipotle stirred in.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still sitting a bit high 7.4 bed 6.2 FBG. Took an odd coughing turn at 6am , managed to doze off in time for getting up for swimming. Nice steamy pool on a Saturday morning. Odd sort of day with large Elfs wandering about the high street.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream
L. Toasted sandwich with Tesco high protein bread, thin boiled ham, yellow tomatoes and smoked cheese.
D. Despite my best efforts.
..another bowl of that curried squash soup and 1/2 lidl high protein roll.
Chia Pudding was ready too so that with 8 raspberries.

Loads of water to drink , especially at swimming which was hotter than usual but good. Nippers were going with Mum & Dad to the National Trust Christmas Event with 13 other kiddies. Good event , elf school and they met the Snow Queen. I went home for a rest!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another day of experiments.
B - tried making non dairy cocoa slightly differently to how I tried it earlier in the week - this time used equal quantities of unsweetened almond milk and Koko coconut milk and rather than using cocoa powder grated in some 100% dark chocolate - the result was v nice as was the blood sugar response to my breakfast of that combined with 10g of dark choc with chilli
L - todays other experiment was to see the current effect of one of my old favourites (before it started to send my sugars bonkers) - 1/2 pouch of Tilda steamed brown rice fried with 1/2 onion, tamari and some sesame seeds - just about ok BS rise of 2.2mmol at 2 hours which was surprising - not something Ill have every day but nice to be able to have it as an option again
D - baked haddock fillet served with baby leaf sald, a medium avocado, 1/2 cucumber and a drizzle of homemade hazelnut oil and balsamic dressing
Snacks - 1 tsp unsweetened peanut butter, 30g paleo muesli

Overall a much higher carb day than usual at 76g but sugars have stayed within target all day - started at 5.2, peaked at 8.3.
Ill need to experiment by trying one of the foods Ive been previously diagnosed intolerant to and see how that affects me and my blood sugar response.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning.

Back to one meal a day yesterday, so no breakfast or lunch.

Dinner was at Nando’s. 3 plain wings and a plain chicken leg with salad. Added 30g mixed nuts and followed up with a dessert of Lindt 90% and a couple of teaspoons of double cream about an hour later.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a super busy week at work, so didn't find the time to post.

Saturday ...

Breakfast: Two double espressos with cream and xylitol. The last piece of red-beet quiche.

Lunch: Scrambled eggs with fennel and mushrooms. Tuna sashimi with homemade lime-honey-ginger-soy sauce. Half an avocado, half a low-carb roll with goat cream cheese and smocked sockeye salmon.

Dinner: Coconut milk and cauliflower rice with green curry, lime and coriander leaves, half a low carb roll with butter, low-carb chocolate mousse with whipped cream.

Late night snack: 40g of 85 percent chocolate, some Basque cheese.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a super busy week at work, so didn't find the time to post.

Saturday ...

Breakfast: Two double espressos with cream and xylitol. The last piece of red-beet quiche.

Lunch: Scrambled eggs with fennel and mushrooms. Tuna sashimi with homemade lime-honey-ginger-soy sauce. Half an avocado, half a low-carb roll with goat cream cheese and smocked sockeye salmon.

Dinner: Coconut milk and cauliflower rice with green curry, lime and coriander leaves, half a low carb roll with butter, low-carb chocolate mousse with whipped cream.

Late night snack: 40g of 85 percent chocolate, some Basque cheese.
I wondered where you were. @Chook too. Assumed everyone was too busy with the run up to Christmas. My next 2 weeks are hectic.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.8 FBG 6.7 so still higher than usual. Still not 100% though.
B. 2 rashers of back bacon and a fried egg with mushrooms. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing
D. That curried squash soup again (It's not making it to the freezer) 1/2 Lidl roll. 2 bits of sole with wilted spinach and broccoli.

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a super busy week at work, so didn't find the time to post

Nice to see you back @ziggy_w

A super hungry day for me today.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - wasn’t planning any, but on train and very hungry. Waited an hour. Ravenous so turned to my stash of snacks. Pack of Awfully Posh Pork Crackling, 25g almonds and a couple of squares of Lindt 90%.

Dinner - fat head pizza with a pepperoni topping. Chocolate chia pudding with cream. Had only made the pudding an hour or so earlier, so an interesting consistency - solid on top, liquid underneath. Was pretty good.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much for your welcome back wishes, @maglil55 and @Goonergal. I agree, I wished @Chook were back too.

Sunday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol.

Lunch: A platter with two different cheeses, about 50g of beef salami, some macadamias, some olives and pickles. Two pieces of a homemade quiche with zucchini, eggplant, bellpepper, onion, tomatoes, feta and beef salami.

Dinner: Nothing.

Snack: 40g of 85% chocolate, about 7-8 macadamia, a glass of white wine.

Vhm1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wasn't hungry until afternoon. Had a hard boiled egg with a few spoons of salsa around 1400 hours.

Supper was a salad of greens, olives, some rotisserie chicken and another egg with Greek-yogurt based dressing.

Post supper a bit of egg nog with a small splash of brandy and 2 squares Lindt 90 percent.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BGs disproving again Bed on 5.8 and FBG 5.7. Hope this is this bug finally going.
B. Slice Tesco High Protein bread with pate pate - the fruity one. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Yes...it was the last of the curried squash soup
D. 2 air fried chicken thighs and a drumstick with cheese and chive dip. It was of course essential to consume the wonderful crispy skins as well.
That was the final swimming lesson for No 2 grandson before the holiday season. 1 more gym monkeys tomorrow. Still no snow here but very hard Frost in the mornings. Wad still -7c when I was defrosting the car this morning.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Another hungry day today - wonder if it’s the cold weather.

Breakfast - none
Mid morning - 25g almonds
Lunch - small mixed doner kebab (no bread) with salad; small bar Coop 85% chocolate
Dinner - in 2 stages. Pre gym session, chocolate chia pudding with cream; post gym, bag of pork crunch. Gym session sent me shooting up from 5.0 to 7.1!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

@Goonergal, I experience the same thing. Exercise raises my blood sugars too. I wonder what happens in non-diabetics.

Monday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. Cauli-rice with coconut milk, ginger and coriander leaves and prawns.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: About two squares of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: A slice of quiche (bellpepper, zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, onion, feta and beef salami), filet of lamb, 100g of hummus, half a low-carb roll with butter, some Basque cheese.