Hot, salty bone broth. Fasting again.

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
I rescued some bread today (I work for The Real Junk Food Project) and it dawned on me that I could easily eat a vast quantity of **** right now. A white bread cheese sandwich with lots of butter and pickle, crisps, toast, chocolate, biscuits...
Whereas if I were to break my fast, all I could manage would be a small steak or a couple of eggs.
It's interesting the difference between 'want' and 'need'. I really need to do a fast but then I keep going shopping and buying food... Think I really need to make a plan and stick to it. I mostly only eat once a day as it is so it shouldn't be too much of a leap.

On the topic of bone broth recipes though, I like Martina's from keto diet app. She uses whatever bones you like, bay leaves, celery, onion, carrot, cyder vinegar and natural salt. Usual time to cook it then drain into something, let it cool, skim and enjoy :)

I really like using oxtail it goes very gelatinous which pleases me :D

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
I've read many articles and books saying that Bone Broth is a good source of salts and nutrients that does not break your Fast.

Has anyone any thoughts on whether Bovril (as a bone broth alternative) would do the same thing as meaty broth drink and won't break my fast?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read many articles and books saying that Bone Broth is a good source of salts and nutrients that does not break your Fast.

Has anyone any thoughts on whether Bovril (as a bone broth alternative) would do the same thing as meaty broth drink and won't break my fast?
Depends a bit on what you are fasting for I guess..

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
Depends a bit on what you are fasting for I guess..
I'm doing a 14 day fast. It's for weight loss, improved health, and all the other benefits of doing a fast.
I just want to ensure I keep my salts up, as even during my Keto lifestyle I get cramps. Which I'm putting to lack of salts and, I believe, Magnesium.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm doing a 14 day fast. It's for weight loss, improved health, and all the other benefits of doing a fast.
I just want to ensure I keep my salts up, as even during my Keto lifestyle I get cramps. Which I'm putting to lack of salts and, I believe, Magnesium.
If you are after autophagy then the protein in the Bovril may not be good.. then again the bone broth might not be so good for that either. If you are fasting for other reasons then I can't see why the bovril should have much of an impact.. it does have carbs but very few in a cup with a teaspoon of bovril in it. I used to have a consomme type soup with a knob of butter in it on my extended fasts which certainly reduced any pangs... butter in bovril? hmm I hate the taste of bovril so not for me but might be worth a try..

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If you are after autophagy then the protein in the Bovril may not be good.. then again the bone broth might not be so good for that either. If you are fasting for other reasons then I can't see why the bovril should have much of an impact.. it does have carbs but very few in a cup with a teaspoon of bovril in it. I used to have a consomme type soup with a knob of butter in it on my extended fasts which certainly reduced any pangs... butter in bovril? hmm I hate the taste of bovril so not for me but might be worth a try..
Thanks for the info bulkbiker :)
For those interested here's Bovril's main nutritional info:
one good teaspoon is:
fat = <0.5g
carbs = 1.6g
protein = 4.4g
salt = 1.4g

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just realised I didn’t update. I did 15 days in the end and broke it with the meat from the bones.
8lb weight loss of which 6 went back on and fasting bloods in the 4’s.

It wasn’t difficult at all and I could have gone longer, I’ll do another in the new year and again before the PHEC conference.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@wiflib it will be interesting if your fasting BG remains in the 4's long-term even with putting the weight back on.

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.
I blo*dy love the stuff.

I did a six day fast earlier this year (easy peasy) and I’m currently cuddling a hot mug on day one of this fast.
I’m bone shopping later to make another big pot and I have my own favourite recipe but I’d love to hear yours.

Lib.
Not much of a recipe. bones, water, salt to taste. I cook mine for 120 minutes in a pressure cooker. Just set it and forget it.