Robbie

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope no-one takes offence, especially not Beverly. Should you read this, I wish you and your children all the strength you need in the near and far future, and I wish there was something more I could do for you than send you virtual hugs.
If my post is inappropriate in any way to anyone, please say so to me or an admin so it can be removed.
I read about Robbie saturday night before bed, and it made a rough night for me and an even rougher day. Robbie has been on my mind all day today. I've only known him through the short time he and Beverly were a part of this forum, and only know about the small part of their lives that had to do with Robbies bizarre problems with his blood sugars, and his very enthousiastic ways he tried to tackle all the new problems he encountered. Shortly after Robbies introduction on our forum he forced his better half to get aquainted with us, himself being too ill to post. Since that first rough start, both Robbie and Beverly have kept informing us about all the ups and downs that were happening in their lives. There were a lot of them, and I've never heard of a heavier diabetic rollercoaster than theirs. I have been happy with their ups, and sad, angry, scared and frustrated with their downs. Apart from informing us, Robbie also found time to reassure others, and Beverly has more than once urged us to take care of our own diabetes, all in the middle of a very stressful time.
I don't know how to deal with the last news. I've never been part of an online community before, exept with people I know in real life as well. This feels the same as someone you know and feel for dying. Exept no one I know knows him.
Hey, I know, for me tomorrow's just another day, not like Robbies loved ones in real life, but I still have a difficult time.
And once again, Beverly, I wish I could give you something more substantial than a virtual hug.
Love, Antje.

Edited to add a link to the pinned post about Robbie, for everyone who has missed it: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/very-sad-news-of-our-friend-robbieswan.130597/

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I'm not offended, you have "emptied your heart", in a way. Like everyone else on this forum, you wanted to help and you, we, all did our best. For something like this to happen was a shock to us all and just leaves us wanting to know "why?"

Online "friendships" may not be considered the same as friendships made through personal contact, but they frequently mean just as much and I we are all grieving to some extent. Like you, I hope nobody is offended by a need to maybe discuss just a little bit, what's on our minds, it's part of the process. Stay strong!

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
I agree with paulus1, both DavidGrahamJones and Antje77 have said what a lot of us are feeling. Antje77 you have hit the spot exactly on how I am feeling. A very sad time, I don’t think there are any words that will bring comfort to Beverly and her family, only what I have already said ‘I am very sorry’.

Reactions: Keesha and Prem51

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
We do our best here or in real life thats all we can do, in both worlds we are limited in what is possible, but if we do our best and try our hardest I don't think we should reproach our selves too much.

In the short time we new Robbie I grew really fond of him and respected him as a person and I will miss him.

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't wish to be insensitive but I have been out of touch with the forum for the last few days. I get the feeling I have missed something concerning Robbie. Can someone please fill me in?

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm glad I started this thread. I'm clearly not the only one who needed a place to go to with their feelings about Robbie.
I'm glad you started this thread too. I have felt rubbish since I heard the news, and I've had no-one to talk to about it. It's a very weird feeling being so upset when you don't really know a person, but we all shared so much with Robbie and Mrs Robbie that it felt like we were all part of the family.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thoughts and prayers going out to Mrs Robbie and her children....may they have strength and courage for the journey that lies before them....may they be comforted to know that their husband/dad left such a great legacy for those of us who had the privilege of "knowing him" and "walking with him" and learning so much from him. Blessings Mrs Robbie and family/L

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this really difficult to deal with although I didn't know Robbie personally. It is in some ways like an online family and we do grieve for friends. Thanks @Antje77 for allowing our thoughts to be voiced.

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect I am far from alone in being deeply touched by the struggle of Robbieswan and his family. Even if we could not ultimately save him I do take some comfort from the thought that we gave him somewhere to let off steam, and speak to people who understand the difficulty of a situation such as he experienced. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect I am far from alone in being deeply touched by the struggle of Robbieswan and his family. Even if we could not ultimately save him I do take some comfort from the thought that we gave him somewhere to let off steam, and speak to people who understand the difficulty of a situation such as he experienced. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends.
Thanks. I guess you're right in taking comfort from that and that does make me feel a bit better. I hadn't thought of it that way.