Type 2, need some advice

Orlando00

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been put back on metafrmin 1000mg a day and I noticed some nights my blood sits at 10.5 then 8.2 etc and alternates all the time.

I've only been on the pills 2 weeks but feel they are not working, due to my mobility I don' get excercise so I was wondering if that could be Why?

I've tried to stop the crisps etc and it' really hard, I was well controlled for 5 years and then this happens.

I'm on deprssion pills and acid reflux pills and just feel I rattle.

Will my bloods always stay this way? It' alot better than 13 and 15 I was getting 3 weeks ago.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I don't think it's the Met, it will be the crisps etc. Met isn't prescribed to lower bg specifically but it is a mild appetite suppressant and helps with liver dumps which is probably why you are seeing a small lowering of your bg.

Reactions: rayhigginson

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diet is the key to control, not Metformin. Metformin is a mild drug. It helps a little with morning liver dumps (dawn phenomenon) so your morning fasting levels may be lower, and is an appetite suppressant. It will not help with post meal levels at all, but a good diet will.

You say you crave crisps? What is a typical day's menu for you?

If you can reduce your post meal spikes your fasting levels will eventually improve.

Reactions: Eternal summer

Orlando00

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I start the day with shreddies and lunch is usuall a weight watchers meal, then at dinner time I usuall have chicken steaks and few potatoes and beetroot, after 2 hours of all this I get 8.2 or 10.2. Then I take my quitiapene pills and the hunger starts and I eat 2 bags of crisps and some dark choclate digestive, this is not every day though but usuall happens at 2am as I can never sleep.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Might be difficult with your mobility (no doubt it is) but you need to remove those chips and the spuds

Reactions: Eternal summer

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating carbs makes you hungry, so you eat more carbs. Best to avoid them completely. Otherwise you may eventually get serious diabetic complications such as blindness, chronic pain in your feet and legs from neuropathy and dementia. Metformin only helps a very small amount to reduce blood sugars, so you need to change your diet.

Food contains fat makes you feel full and does not raise blood sugars. So cheese, nuts, avocados are good to replace carbs in your diet. See https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb for some inspiration and recipe ideas.

For breakfast you could have a cheese omelette. Forget the potatoes, crisps and chocolate digestive biscuits. Have some steamed vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli instead of potatoes. If you must have chocolate, have a couple of squares of Lindt 90% dark chocolate.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
If I ate what you are eating I would blow my meter! Do you use your meter 2 hours after each meal to see the effect that it is having on you bg. Why not try 2 eggs in some form or yoghurt for breakfast. Check the weight watchers meals for carb content per 100g, adn try to get something as close to 10g as possible, some may be higher than you think! (It is a commercial organisation that needs people to keep coming back) Try above ground vegetables with your chicken or other meat in the evening; courgettes, green beans, tomatoes, mushrooms are all lower carb vege that will probably lower your readings. Stop buying the crisps, I found that this was the only way that I could stop eating them, instead I buy cheese from a local market and discovered a whole new taste world that I did not know existed, Harlech cheese with horseradish, various forms of Wensleydale etc.. Just before bed, if I feel really hungry, I will have a square of 90% chocolate and I find that satisfies me and sends me to bed feeling full and does not raise my bg level too high in the morning.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a low carb diet, take no medication and I tested 2 hours after I ate this evening - 5.9mmol/l.
If I am hungry I eat more low carb foods, my weight is dropping I feel great - I can only recommend stopping all the high carb foods and hope that you can get lower blood glucose levels too.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand your crisp craving as they the food I want most - I can live without sweets, chocolate, biscuits or indeed anything sweet but I do love a bag of crisps AND I do eat them but they are built into my plan - I have one bag from a multi pack once a week - about 13g carb but that's all I have carb wise and as part of a meal not a snack.

At other times I have pork scratchings, I make radish crisps by thinly slicing them tossing them in oil and seasoning and roasting them, little piles of grated cheese grilled on foil left to go cold them peeled off - delicious!

I have discovered that it's not just the eating of the crisps I miss but also the feeling of dipping mindlessly into a bag whilst watching the tv etc - I get a big bag of baby spinach and eat them like crisps from the bag and I love them - sprinkle with salt and even a sprinkling of vinegar, I find this satisfies my appetite for mindless eating.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I have also found the only way to restrict my carb intake is to plan my diet. Sounds so simple right? I know that it is easier said than done. I too have trouble sleeping (pain etc), but I also know that it is during this time I am at my weakest.

I know that I can't be trusted with a multi pack of anything in the cupboards because guess what.... I eat it!! SO, now I just don't buy it in the first place.

You must ditch all those hefty carbs. I know that it goes against everything we were ever taught about food and eating habits.... but trust us.... we can't all be wrong in the advice we are giving?? Give it a try, 2wks and you will feel so different! You will have more energy, less cravings and it really is the only way you will get your BG under control.