Poor GP support?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have other health problems and have never seen a gp about any of them.
That's terrible! Can't you go to a different practice? Our village surgery has 6 doctors. If you don't mind which doctor you see you never have to wait more than a few days, less if it is urgent.

Reactions: dbr10

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed over a year ago. I got two tests, one at 80 days one at 6 months. I saw the diabetes education pair, for three group sessions, was seen for a retina check, saw a nurse at the surgery for a foot check, and have not seen my doctor since. I told the nurse about stopping the statins and Metformin as I was so ill on them, and was called in a couple of weeks later to see a doctor I did not know who was seeing patients to push them onto statins - lots of them.
I am not due to see a doctor until next year, even though I should have had a blood test for my thyroid med by now I was told not to make any appointments.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's terrible! Can't you go to a different practice? Our village surgery has 6 doctors. If you don't mind which doctor you see you never have to wait more than a few days, less if it is urgent.

Quite a few patients have tried to leave, but its not possible. As we already have a practice no other gp os obliged to take us on. Lots of surgeries have closed thier books unless forced to take on new patients.
I have a medication review coming up but have not been able to get an appointment. Not sure what will happen when I run out!

I live in an area that has had a huge amount of new housing without the infrastructure that goes with it. My morning commute to my daughters house takes 20 mins on a sunday, an hour in the week . When we first moved here the same drive would take half hour.. The south east is going to sink!

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed over a year ago. I got two tests, one at 80 days one at 6 months. I saw the diabetes education pair, for three group sessions, was seen for a retina check, saw a nurse at the surgery for a foot check, and have not seen my doctor since. I told the nurse about stopping the statins and Metformin as I was so ill on them, and was called in a couple of weeks later to see a doctor I did not know who was seeing patients to push them onto statins - lots of them.
I am not due to see a doctor until next year, even though I should have had a blood test for my thyroid med by now I was told not to make any appointments.

Have you had any thyroid tests done privately?

Bigbassett_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My experience of gp support so far is erm ****. Here have 2g a day of metformin we'll see you in April maybe. I was diagnosed September.
I moaned like buggery and got a monitor. Took 2 months of nagging. They were not happy to give one but monitoring is essential I think as I know now what foods do what. For example white pasta for me is a bit of a no no.

As others have said I think you've done a cracking job. Keep going. Well done

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had any thyroid tests done privately?
No. Up until I was diagnosed with diabetes I used to book a test at the end of each year, go to the hospital and get it done and was then told all was OK, for many years.