Cunning plan, or crazy idea? Fast to get glucose down

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I started my t2 journey I had to 100 % change my thought process. Previously I was a huge fan of slimming world green days. I loved pasta and bagels potato. I’ve never been a fan of meat or fish - due to being disabled and only having the use of one hand it’s difficult for me to cut.
Sorry I digress I initially wandered towards the GI route as I considered it to be the best Diabetes food plan around at the time. Having done much more research since the early days. my thinking has moved and eggs eggs eggs cheese protein. I am a slow cooker fan ! I have found around 40 ways to have eggs.Im lucky I’m not bothered by rice and bread

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ditch as many carbs as you can I’m by no means perfect but I have between 50g and 75g each day.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks again for the comments and support :)

So..
Fasting 8.3
Pre-meal 6.6 (Yey!)
Post-meal 8.2 (Not so yey)

Seeing my new low score, and having half a loaf of wholemeal left over, I figured I'd try a 'bad' meal. So 4 slices of bread to make 2 cheddar & pesto sarnies.. And I can see the results. I figure that was pushing 60g carbs.

Ok, so I'm still a limited dataset, but trying to keep things consistent, ie testing, meal time and activity.. And it's looking like bread's off the menu. Although I'm thinking with some exercise, a sarnie for lunch and then low carb dinner might be tolerable.

My experiment continues! And for me, highlights the importance of having a glucose meter to see what food does for my body. Think I'm also coming up for a week's worth of weight & body composition data from my scales.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your readings are coming down. Certainly a big drop from 17 at the start. You will get to learn what your body can handle. Some people can handle things better than others. I can only have one shredded wheat, two is double digits on the meter for me. Yet a few potatoes have little effect. Main thing is getting as much stored fuel out of your liver as possible. Weight loss and feeling good will follow.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And so for Tuesday..

Fasting 8.3
Pre-meal 8.1
Post-meal 8.3

For dinner, I pondered what I was going to do with the sauerkraut I bought, and made some shchi with some carrots, peppers instead of the spuds, and some beef. Tasty! For my next trick, I think I might try bigos.. Sadly, not in a bread bowl. That was an awesome winter dish when I spent time in Prague.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday. Was ol'one eye smiling on me?

Fasting 7.3
Pre-meal 7.9
Post-meal 6.7

This suprised me. I figured I'd do a snack test, so 8 slices of dark Ryvita with a mix of low-carb toppings. The crackers run to around 53.6g carbs, but heavy on the rye fibre. When I tried with 4 slices of wholemeal bread, glucose spiked, so if I can repeat this with the same result, then it looks like I've found a safe cheese & crackers combo for me. Much happiness, if true!

Reactions: Speedbird

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday. Cold, wet and windy. Was this why the forum was down? Bedraggled hamster?

Fasting 6.6
Pre-meal 7.0
Post-meal 6.6

Today's meal was inspired by bigos, so used up the rest of the jar of sauekraut in a nice low-carb soup/stew.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday, and my stock pot runneth empty. But the soups were nice.

Fasting 8.2
Pre-meal 9.3 (Nooo!)
Post-meal 6.4

I suspect the pre-meal high was due to me being in town, thirsty and getting a bottle of Volvic 'Touch of Fruit'. Which I noticed has more than a touch of added sugar. Carbs, they're everywhere! So cooked up a nice pepper steak slathered in runner beans, gravy and carrots. I'm realising life can go on without the potato.. Sorry Ireland & Idaho.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And on to Saturday

Fasting 6.3
Pre-meal 7.0
Post-meal 6.3

Today's dinner was a 4-egg omlette filled with some cheese, roasted papers and a few capers with some more runner beans on the side. Also took a look at what my funky Tanita scales had logged.

So since 27th Nov to today, weight's dropped 2kg, total fat from 27.6% to 26.7%, and my metabolic age has gone from 61 to 58. I'm feeling younger already! Now to get that number lower than my actual age. I'm not entirely convinced it measures accurately, eg it's showing a fair amount of muscle/fat redistribution around my limbs, which seems unlikely. But it's handy I can log this stuff to a card, then view it on my PC to check trends are heading in the right direction.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunday, and I blame the weather..

Fasting 7.5
Pre-meal 8.3
Post-meal 8.9

Ate a couple of smoked gammon steaks with runner beans, sprouts, carrots and gravy. Nipped out to shops pre-meal & tested just after I got back. Kinda curious if my liver was trying to be helpful and warm me up. In which case, yey for fat burning. Also curious what effect eating more greens is going to have on my warfarin INR test.

Bigbassett_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was diagnosed I went no carb for a month which I found great. Dropped my sugars lovely and then I gently experimented with carbs. I still eat less carbs than I used to and generally less than I used to as I'd binge at night and I don't now. My bloods are always in limit.

I personally don't think fasting is best idea as the sudden change of intake will possibly make you feel poorly. False hypo was something I experienced often as I dropped from a reading of 18 with no food to 6s fairly quickly. 5s would give hypo feelings dizzy confused sweating. So fasting I would think might not be the best.

Good luck