Have your bloods improved with LCHF?

Lawrencepa

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
im just curious about how other prediabetics are doing on a low carb diet. I've only checked my blood since being diagnosed on a blood glucose meter. It's still roughly the same if not higher despite losing 2 stone. This is really frustrating but I will soldier on. I will have to go for a review soon I think. I have tended to cheat every couple of weeks because of social events etc but could that really be the reason why?

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Time for a new HbA1c test, methinks, assuming your surgery will do it. That 3.5-month period is a good test time for you to find out if it is working. Good luck!!!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My levels started to improve within a couple of weeks but we are all different. You say you are on a low carb diet but then you say you treat yourself regularly. You can't have it both ways I'm afraid.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When are you measuring? If it is first thing in the morning that is often the last measurement to show an improvement.

Lawrencepa

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My levels started to improve within a couple of weeks but we are all different. You say you are on a low carb diet but then you say you treat yourself regularly. You can't have it both ways I'm afraid.
But I've seen other prediabetics have the odd treat and have their blood sugar controlled. I would have thought losing weight would have improved mine

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
But I've seen other prediabetics have the odd treat and have their blood sugar controlled. I would have thought losing weight would have improved mine

It works both ways, some people get better control of their blood glucose but struggle to lose weight.
You have the option of lowering your carb intake whilst losing weight. And weight loss is secondary to better glucose control. We are all unique so ...

Arlmy

Time for a new HbA1c test, methinks, assuming your surgery will do it. That 3.5-month period is a good test time for you to find out if it is working. Good luck!!!

Yes, the HbA1c could be repeated after 3 months as the red blood cells life cycle is about three months

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To answer your question yes they have improved by a lot. I went from being into the diabetic range into well into the normal range in 3 months. So much so my doctors no longer consider me to be diabetic.

When are you measuring? You say that your glucose levels are the same but when are you testing them?

My weight loss (30 kgs) happened as a result of trying to get my glucose levels down rather than trying to lose weight.

As it's been over 3 months since your last diagnosis I'd ask for an A1c.

Lawrencepa

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
To answer your question yes they have improved by a lot. I went from being into the diabetic range into well into the normal range in 3 months. So much so my doctors no longer consider me to be diabetic.

When are you measuring? You say that your glucose levels are the same but when are you testing them?

My weight loss (30 kgs) happened as a result of trying to get my glucose levels down rather than trying to lose weight.

As it's been over 3 months since your last diagnosis I'd ask for an A1c.

I'm comparing my fasting blood sugar mainly. I have nothing to compare my post prandial etc with. I am planning on getting retest soon

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm comparing my fasting blood sugar mainly. I have nothing to compare my post prandial etc with. I am planning on getting retest soon

Fasting blood sugars are almost always the last to come down. It takes some people a lot longer than a few months. To see how you are doing you need to test at other times and be organised with it. If I were in your shoes I would stop testing fasting levels for now and concentrate on meal times. A test before evening meal is usually the best indication of progress, so if you start now and keep going for a month or two you will hopefully see improvements.

Is there a reason you aren't testing out the foods you eat? Are you keeping a food diary? Testing before a meal and 2 hours after first bite is the best way to judge if your food choices are good or not so good, and will give you the chance to change things.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just to add to what @bluetit has said, if you are celebrating or having meals out this tends to be later in the day and this will have a knock on effect on fbg and on Dawn Phenomena. Meals out are harder to quantify in terms of carbs as the sauces etc may contain hidden carbs even if they taste savoury. We can't be absolutely sure about the carb content of any foods we have not prepared ourselves which leaves us with just one option, we should test.