Problems falling asleep all the time

Millymax

Ever since my mum's insulin was changed to Mixtard 30 she's been complaining about falling asleep all the time. <b>She</b> thinks it's the larger doses of the new insulin - <b>I'm</b> not convinced. But what do I know? I'm just the daughter. :)

This is what's happening:

My mum had her insulin changed about 2 months ago from Veloculin and Insulatard to Mixtard 30. She's still in the 'getting it right stage' and still getting high BS levels -- between 8 and 19.

So the Diabetes Nurse has been upping mum's dose, and she's now on 50 units in the morning and 28 in the evening.

That's not a HUGE amount of insulin, is it?

When I go round to my mum's in the morning, she's really very, very tired and sleepy, and she puts this down to the large morning does of insulin.

Hmm... The fact that she watches TV until about 2 am and then her carer has started coming at around 7.30 am rather than 9.30 am has to be put into the equation, I reckon.

Mum is threatening to give herself less insulin in the morning. I reckon this is stupid -- but can't get hold of the Diabetes Nurse as it's Christmas. And she only works mid-week, anyway.

I'm <b>really</b> worried. So if anyone can help, that would be wonderful.

Millymax

That is a very true. On the odd occasions I've managed to get her to test her blood sugar when she's complained of sleepiness, it's been high. And that makes sense, doesn't it?

If she takes <b>less</b> insulin her blood sugar should be even higher, shouldn't it?

I think that we'll have to get a strict testing routine going.

Has anyone else experienced this overwhelming tiredness?

Ebenezer

Hi Milly,

Sleepiness can be emabarrassing :oops: - I'm church organist:eek:

I take notes during the sermons to try to keep awake. Its not 100% successful. Our church sermons are 30-40 miutes. I only once didn't hear the hymn number & played the wrong one :oops:

I have to be very careful when driving. 1 hour is normally the maximum before a rest.

I play tennis at club standard, so I can maintain vigorous activity, but when I relax afterwards I can doze off.

Millymax

Hi Ebenezer,

Thanks for your reply -- and for that lovely vision of you nodding off in the middle of sermons!

So, the sleepiness could be a diabetes thing, not an insulin thing? (I notice you're on Metformin.)

Millymax

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SarahQ</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

If your mothers blood sugars are high then yes it's her diabetes, but we can not tell you for sure as we have no history. Some people get very sleepy when they have low blood sugar, Does your mum have any exercise? Also what is her diet like? If it is carb ladden then talk to a dietiticion sp! to sort it out.
[/quote]

Just checked her blood sugars again, and they're high, even though she hasn't eaten very much since breakfast. She also feels poorly: aching and feeling queasy. I think it's a winter bug, and we've both been low over Christmas.

She doesn't get a lot of exercise, I'm afraid. Mum's mobility is bad and she needs a frame to walk with. She needs a knee replacement, has bad lower back problems, and two severe falls this year have destroyed her confidence.

Eating is a problem. She knows she's got to eat, so she tries, but she has no appetite most of the time. And as for veg and fruit!! A token attempt is all.

One other thing she's complaining about is sticky, gooey saliva. What's that about? Is it the same as dry mouth? She certainly has problems swallowing with that.

Addy

Hi sorry to hear that your mum is having a rough time of it, i agree in that the best thing is to get in touch with the dr or diabetes nurse, as for the saliva thing i tend to get a thick saliva when my sugar levels are on the high side.

...falling is not the problem, it's when you land...

Millymax

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions. It's just so good to know that there are people out there who know stuff -- first hand -- that I don't.

Sarah, I know that for a diagnosis I need the doctor and/or the diabetes nurse, but both are impossible to get hold of at this time of year. So your support has been invaluable.

And, Addy -- that's very interesting about the sticky saliva. It's all pointing to my Mum's bs levels being too high.

Sarah, you asked about what I mean by 'high': we're getting readings of 10 to 21 and 'ketones' on the display.

As for her HbA1c -- last time it was done the Consultant said it was fine. But that was about 9 months ago.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. I'm just about to leave a message with the diabetes nurse, so we'll get to the bottom of it all, soon!

Have a great New Year!!! :)

Millymax

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SarahQ</i>
<br />The meter wont/cant tell you if your mum has ketones. It's asking your mum if she has any IE test and see.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

See how much I don't know???

She's never checked for ketones. But I've just had a look online, and her Medisense Optium blood glucose meter does a ketone test. Just need to get some strips for it. Might be a very good idea!

Gem_Gems

Maybe your mum should be taken to the diabetes centre for a check up. She may have an under-active thyroid problem (related to diabetes) and it has a quick onset. 12months ago after a check up I was fine. Next 6months I was confirmed with an under-active thyroid. I always felt sleepy.

StephenFromScotland

Hi there,
I was sleepy for years before i actually got diagnosed with it and the fatigue is un-beleivable,eventually i changed doctors and it was a young new doctor that found out what i had!

As for ketones, before i was diagnosed i remeber getting up in the middle of the night on quite a few occasions needing the toilet and feeling out of breath like i was going to die and my urine being sticky on the toilet rim(yes im a man lol) but anyway my wife thought i had been in the garage paint spraying a few times (ex paint sprayer) smells like nail varnish or pear drops so i can only think this is ketones which i now know this is very dangerous(how am i still alive?!.

You need to INSIST you see the dietician and the nurse for the sake of your mum,don't leave it any longer, as for the sticky salaiva,that is too much sugar trying to escape out of the body,the body is a wonderfull thing,(allways listen to what your body tells you) it does that for reasons,I bet your mum feels terrible(poor soul).
If I were you i would take her to the diabetes centre in the hospital without delay, they will know a lot more that the general doctor! thats their job!

You really need to explain the importance of what your mother eats, I know for some people that this is a real struggle to change habbits but she must and she needs to eat! carbs also go hand in hand with insulin!balance the scales!.

I hope you get it sorted out,we are thinking of you and wish you and your mum the very best.

PS.I have still lots and lots to learn! Just try your best!;)
Take care
Stephen