Day Break and my live appearance..

jopar

I did ponder whether to put this in for various reasons, and then thought why not...
Yesterday I appeared on a national television program called Day Break which was an amazing experience indeed...

Why did I appear on live TV, well we had been invited because of our 2 dogs who have received a lot of publicity because they Saved my husbands life a fortnight ago.. There story can be read here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -them.html

I am humbled by Ellie and Jones, both we’ve adopted from rescue untrained and unwanted, I have worked with Jones for 14 months training and helping him over-coming his agoraphobic issues, and training Ellie from scratch at no stage did I envisage what my two would achieve...
They have become fantastic advocates for not only the German shepherd breed, but for all rescue dogs as well as helping to bring diabetic hypo awareness to the general public...
They are true heroes indeed...

sugar2

Awww..they are amazing! Hope hubby is OK now? Alas, didn't see your star appearance, don't watch TV at that time of day, but that sounds like a great story.

Sounds liek even i f he had has his glucosoe with him, he would still have been in trouble without the dogs.

Curious though..was Jones called Jones when you got him, or did you choose teh name? It sounds like a name with a story.

(also nice to put a face to a name!)

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I expect someone will maybe move this to General Chat sometime later, but it makes good reading all the same ... thanks for sharing and I think it should be shared with the other members in here :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hobs said:
I expect someone will maybe move this to General Chat sometime later, but it makes good reading all the same ... thanks for sharing and I think it should be shared with the other members in here :D

Actually Hobs we moved it to Diabetes News as it is a News item........ :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Very interesting and uplifting story Jo.

What beautiful dogs, reminds me of my own GSD 'Prince' who was so faithful and a wonderful Pal....... :(

They are worthy of a News story. :D

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
What brilliant dogs you have Jo, I hope Les is feeling OK now.

Quote Daily Mail:
Les said: 'I was totally overwhelmed when I pieced it all together. What they did took teamwork and courage and it brought a tear to my eye.

It brought a tear to my eye too, what an uplifting story.
respect.gif
to Jones.

jopar

I contacted our local newspaper after hearing that some had noticed Les in the close, but assumed it was a drunk on the floor with his dog :evil: :evil: So I felt that telling the story to our local paper would make people more diabetic hypo aware..

What the papers don't mention is that not only was Les near to losing his life to a diabetic hypo, to had further complications, he was hypothermic his body temp when he arrived at A&E (they couldn't get one in the ambulance so had wrapped him in the foil blancket) was 33.5 degree's :shock:

Sugar2 and Ken

Jones was the name the RSCPA gave him, and if you met Jones, no other name would actually suit him :lol: :lol: Jones is actually a German Shephered crossed with a Corgi, hence the ickle legs :lol:

You can't beat the loyality of a dog, their love is purely unconditional all the ask for his food,water and TLC, I've had some real good dogs in my time, but these two are going to hold a very special place in my heart indeed...

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Dogs and Loyalty.

You are so right with what you say Jo. Since my 'Prince' the GSD died after 14 fantastic years I have never had another since.

It was like losing one of the family, I couldn't go through that again. It was 33 yrs ago and his photo still has a special place on my living room wall.....never forgotten. :)

He was a pal and a Warrior....who went through many things with me and always was full of life, and affection for me and my wife and kids. Never asked for much....but he was always there at my side.

Attachments

• IMG_edited.jpg
    IMG_edited.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2,272

jopar

Awwe Ken he's looks awesome...

You can never replace a dog, I've had a few now and really got many yarns to tell about there antics...

One of my last dogs Sam a cocker spaniel I didn't have him until he was 9 years old, we were asked to look after him for his final month so he could have an happy ending to his life, he was very over weight little mobility due to his weight, losing his sight... I put him on a strict diet he lost his weight gained his mobility and we had him for a further 6 years before losing him :cry: he's been the only dog that I've allowed on the sette, I just didn't have the heart to tell to get off.. And can I tell you some yarns of that 6 years, turning the video recorder on taping sunday with frost over the film that Les had recorded not seen and it hasn't been on TV since :lol: Or when he nicked the bacon out of Les's sandwhich as he walked past, had the bacon out from the two slices of bread as Les went to take a bite... Les didn't realise what Sam had done until he bit into the sandwhich finding only bread :lol: Pretty good going as at this point, Sam's eyesight was almost gone..

And they ask for so little from us, they are truely amazing

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Yep Jo.........he was irreplaceable......

He was a character too. Just a few of the funny stories I can recall when I look at his photo on the wall. He was a Guard Dog as well as a faithful friend.

It's OK Mate.......
We had a new breadman who delivered to us and he came through the back gate one day for some reason depite the 'Beware of the Dog' sign ! I was sat in the living room, saw him and shouted that the Dog is loose out there, he said, "It's OK mate. I'm alright with Dog's !" Before I could do anything this poor guy was firmly pinned up the wall outside with a huge Alsation snarling into his face and paws on his chest. Bread and Cakes were scattered all over the place and the guy was screaming for help ! It took us about half an hour to calm him down with copious cups of Tea and much soothing words.........needless to say he NEVER used the back gate again......... :shock:

The Ham Sandwich.........
He managed to get out once or twice and I am sure he could tell a tale about this incident......
Early one morning, about 6am he had gotten out from his pen outside and I last saw him loping off round the corner. He returned about 10 - 15 minutes later with a package clutched between his ample jaws........he dropped it in front of me and I saw that it was a neatly wrapped package with 2 Ham Sandwiches in it. Prince looked pleased with himself and sat waiting patiently. I thought well, what the hell he might as well have them for breakfast. However I had this mental image of some poor soul who had had to use his lunchtime sandwiches to probably bribe Prince and escape on his way to Work.......I don't think he/she would have laughed though ! :(

Then there was the 'Gravediggers Arms' incident.......

Prince managed to escape again, he was a big Dog and had been trained to jump obstacles so it was a constant battle to keep him in his enclosure without chaining him up. We lived not far from one of Birmingham's biggest Cemetery's and in a lane at the back was a small Pub ....the Gravediggers Arms, not very adventurous in the days when they named Pub's ! Anyway, Prince had apparently been seen making his way through the Cemetery and somehow ended up in the Saloon Bar at the Pub. Well, it seems he took a shine to the place, sat inside near the door to the Bar and was apparently very happy watching all around. The problem arose when anybody wanted to move to get a drink........his snarls and obvious aggressive demeanour put a stop to anybody actually being able to move !!!

Upshot was, the publican phoned the Police......I had already reported him missing so they phoned me and asked me to visit the Pub ASAP.....not a common request from the 'Fuzz'......... :wink:
So off I went in the car and within minutes I was at the Pub.......several very scared punters, one petrified Publican. Apparently they had tried everything to get past Prince, offering him Crisps and even a bowl of Beer......he ate and drank the lot but steadfastly refused to let anyone in or out of the place or even get to the Bar for a calming drink. That little episode cost me a round of drinks for all involved and I also had to turn down a request from the Publican to bring Prince round when they had visiting Darts Teams as there was usually a 'punch up' each time. He said he thought Prince might have a calming effect on the visiting punters !! I turned the offer down, even though it included free beer for the night :wink:

There's many more but I don't want to derail Jo's thread. Just remembering these bought a smile to my face........... :D

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow what clever dogs, you two are so lucky!

viv1969

Precious pups.

I have a GSD called Chloe...she's coming up to 10 years old now.
The bravest thing she ever did was to sieze the arm of a potential mugger (whilst we were on a walk) and chew for all she was worth. He was not at ALL impressed, and fled rather sharpish.

Her favourite game is to gently push over my nephew (2 1/2 yo) so that he falls on his bum. He then gets up so Chloe can do it over and over again. She also loves it when he leads her around the house by the collar despite the fact that she towers over him. She's so proud when he does that...like a show-pony!

I'm not sure what I'd do without my furface girl.

josie38

Hi jopar,

They are heroes and i hope your hubby ok now.

I bet they got extra treats!!!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Your story bought a big smile to my face.

Josie

G4WIL

img052.jpg

This is my bit of fluff. she's 11 years old .rescued her aged 6 . Had 5 wonderful years with her .
She has the most beautiful nature imaginable :D .
Can be manipulative but this only shows she knows her strengths :) .
Her name is Sasha but she answers to gorgeous and beautiful being called this many times on her walks :) .
She has a bigger fan club than Robbie Williams :mrgreen: .

Nice story, so glad everything turned out so well !

John Wilkinson

Dippy3103

Lovely story Jo, just shows how a rescue dog will repay you a thousand times over in loyalty and freindship!
I love dogs, but have cats simply because I don't have the time to loom after a dog properly. A mere 28 years to retirement when I have promised myself a dog!!!
Nice to put a face to the name Jo. Am I the only member that has a mental picture of other members that post frequently?

G4WIL

Dippy3103 said:
Lovely story Jo, just shows how a rescue dog will repay you a thousand times over in loyalty and freindship!
I love dogs, but have cats simply because I don't have the time to loom after a dog properly. A mere 28 years to retirement when I have promised myself a dog!!!
Nice to put a face to the name Jo. Am I the only member that has a mental picture of other members that post frequently?
Been a radio ham for donkeys' years. never, when having a face to face with someone I've spoken to for years has my mental picture been remotely accurate. Far from it :D

John Wilkinson

Dippy3103

I am usually wrong... Wasn't too far out with Jo, just expected very long straight hair. Don't ask me why, my mental pictures have a mind of their own.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I loved feeling I'd got to know Jo better. No she wasn't at all as I had imagined - people you talk to on the phone never turn out to be how you expect. There are a lot of faces I would love to see of people I talk to/hear from on a daily basis. Its hard not knowing what people look like as normally its the first thing you know about a person when you meet them. A quite different situation on here. I don't think my own face is suitable for publication though 8)