How To Cope With Type 1 Diabetes

hayleymy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
To all people who have Type 1 Diabetes, how did you cope after your diagnosis? I’ve had it for three weeks and I’m still borderline shocked about it all. I still cry about it sometimes. I’m afraid of the complications it will give me, the fact that it’ll never go away and it’s something that never leaves my mind.

I need advice, reassurance and motivation from you guys. Thank you :)

Reactions: himtoo
D

Deleted Account

Initial diagnosis was shocking especially as I knew no one else with diabetes and had never been seriously ill before.
I was lucky to be told on day one that diabetes should not stop me doing what I want ... and I have tested this many times.
The day to day management has become just part of who I am.

Complications are always at the back of my mind but through knowledge of diabetes and doing my best to live my life whilst keeping diabetes in check, I hope I have the right balance.

For me, focus on management, getting on with my life and learning has helped me.

Reactions: Snapsy

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey there @hayleymy
welcome to the forum !:)

I just want to give you a huge hug -- and take it away for you !!

I still cry sometimes ( after 45 years )
I am still afraid of potential complications too.
I still wish it would go away ( even though I know it won't )
I live every day with some aspect of D in my mind !

what Have I told you................... That you can live a normal life - , be happy ,do what ever you want
cuz yes I have Diabetes and yes I think like you are thinking -- but I also live every day to the best I can.
Diabetes does not rule my life ...it is my companion that I tolerate and live with.

hugs [[[[[hugs]]]]]

all the best
himtoo !
x

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@hayleymy take one day at a time. It does get easier, really it does. But I still have my moments, even after 31 years of practice.

Sometimes it sucks, sometimes it's fine. In the great scheme of things, hey, it's okay.

Any and all feelings you have about it, give yourself permission to have those feelings, good or bad. Sometimes I wake up grateful to have the life I have. Sometimes I wake up feeling right royally cheesed off about it all. It's important to me to know that it's okay to feel that - and once I've acknowledged it, it becomes much less of a 'thing'.

@himtoo hits the nail on the head with the wise word 'tolerate'. My capacity to tolerate things, including my diabetes, is ever-improving, I'm glad to say.

I grudgingly tolerate wasps around a picnic, my husband's irritating 'wallpaper TV' habit and my mate's uniquely and fascinatingly noisy way of getting through a bag of peanuts. I happily tolerate sunny days, parkrun and cups of tea.

Hang on in there, @hayleymy . You've got this.
And you've got us.

Love Snapsy
xxx
:)

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suspected I was diabetic, after reading about the symptoms. After my diagnosis, while in hospital being stabilised, my consultant lent me a book which told me all about diabetes, including the possible complications. This made me determined to do my best to avoid complications, as I was terrified of blindness.

I shed many tears and had many "Why me?" moments, for about 2 years, but just got on with it. You will get used to it and it will just become a way of life.
You'll probably have lots of questions and there will always be someone to help here on the forum. Your DSN will be able to give you lots of help and advice so don't be afraid to contact her. (We can only give general advice but she can give you more specific medical advice.)

I know it won't seem like it at the moment, but you will get over the shock. You will be able to lead a normal life - you just have to take a little more care.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
your quite normal to be upset. we only hear about the poorly controlled diabetics on tv hospital shows. they very rarely show the very healthy and fit athletes that have it. im not claiming to be special ive had one brake down sobbing and refusing to eat. i learnt the complications and the main reasons behind why they happen. it motivates me to keep my bloods under control. the less big spikes the better. i know we can get them all any way but if we do our best to be healthy then any risks are reduced. there really is no point in worrying over what may happen because we cant do anything to stop it. look at the folks on here that have do 40-50 years and are still plodding along.

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'll be honest, I just try not to think about it. I test and inject but otherwise do everything I did a month ago before I even knew. Medical science, progressing as it does, I assume will provide some sort of fix before too long.

DobbieTheElf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To all people who have Type 1 Diabetes, how did you cope after your diagnosis? I’ve had it for three weeks and I’m still borderline shocked about it all. I still cry about it sometimes. I’m afraid of the complications it will give me, the fact that it’ll never go away and it’s something that never leaves my mind.

I need advice, reassurance and motivation from you guys. Thank you :)
Just don't think about it. I can sometimes just forget it's there till I eat. I think the best thing I did was tell everyone I come into contact with regularly. They accepted it and it became normal for them, so it became normal for me as well. Also, your dog is very cute!!!