Almond flour questions

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Are there any main supermarkets selling this?

If you make batter or pancakes, is there anything different you need to do as opposed to using ordinary flour?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy ground almonds - cheaper and more readily available. Asda sell the Whitworth’s brand, usually on offer at 3 packs for £3.

I don’t know how it compares to using normal flour as I only ever used that infrequently and have been following low carb recipes rather than adapting standard ones.

Reactions: Orangeteddy

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Almond flour and ground almonds are pretty much the same product. Almond flour is a slightly finer product and massively more expensive than ground almonds. I use ground almonds in baking Low carb muffins / cakes and it works fine

Reactions: Orangeteddy

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you both. I was wondering about making pancakes. If possible I would like to make them ahead of time to take to work for a breakfast.

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I made the almond pancakes today. Thanks to Boo's suggestion about using ground almonds instead of the flour it was certainly much cheaper. The pancake recipe was gleaned from an Atkins diet page on the internet although I found I had to add more milk to it.

OH and I had them with strawberries, a splash of single cream and a sprinkle of chopped nuts.

I also wanted to experiment with making and cooking them ahead of time so I could take them to work for a breakfast. So there's a large one sitting in the kitchen for us to share for tomorrow's brekkie.

Reactions: Sue192

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just made some crackers using ground almonds which turned out great (note to self: cut in squares before baking...). The recipe was insistent on the use of almond flour, saying that ground almonds would be grainy and the mixture wouldn't stick. Nope, they're not grainy and they are pretty solid. Having seen the price of the flour, I'll stick to ground. Like the sound of those pancakes, @Orangeteddy!

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Those crackers you made, will they be ok with cheese and savoury things?

I have to say the pancakes tasted a little sweet to me but that could have been the strawberries mingling in.

My next quest will be a toad in the hole almond style. But I'm bracing myself for that one as normal toad in the hole is one of my favoutrites and I simply cannot imagine it made so differently.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have to say the pancakes tasted a little sweet to me but that could have been the strawberries mingling in.

My next quest will be a toad in the hole almond style. But I'm bracing myself for that one as normal toad in the hole is one of my favoutrites and I simply cannot imagine it made so differently.
I had them with pate and they were tasty. They'd be good with soft cheeses, or any cheese for that matter. There is a slight bitter taste (probably from the sesame seeds) but they are firmer than the nutty crackers I make (which are my favourite but tend to shatter). I rather doubt the toad in the hole will all that brilliant with almond flour, but give it a go and post the results!

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

I add smoked paprika and black pepper to my almond crackers. The recipe suggests herbs but I have not tried that. Brill with everything i used to have cheese crackers with.

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well my pancake experiment turned out ok. I wanted to see what they would be like to make and eat - but also to make ahead of needing to eat them so I could take them to work. We ate yesterdays leftovers today and after zapping in the microwave for about 30 seconds they were as though I'd just made them so I'm happy with that.

I'm now contemplating getting a waffle maker - to make the same recipe in but for waffles instead of pancakes - I'm thinking it may be less faff.

Has anyone got a waffle maker who could perhaps advise?

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I had them with pate and they were tasty. They'd be good with soft cheeses, or any cheese for that matter. There is a slight bitter taste (probably from the sesame seeds) but they are firmer than the nutty crackers I make (which are my favourite but tend to shatter). I rather doubt the toad in the hole will all that brilliant with almond flour, but give it a go and post the results!
I roll the almond crackers between two pieces of greaseproof. Then remove the top piece before cutting the crackers still attached to the lower piece. I use scissors. I have to remember to remove the greaseproof before eating but the method works fine. On the other hand if I omit the cutting faff and cook the cracker in one piece the greaseproof peels off and I get a poppadom style cracker with shatterproofability dependant on how long the almond cracker has been cooked.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my pancake experiment turned out ok. I wanted to see what they would be like to make and eat - but also to make ahead of needing to eat them so I could take them to work. We ate yesterdays leftovers today and after zapping in the microwave for about 30 seconds they were as though I'd just made them so I'm happy with that.

I'm now contemplating getting a waffle maker - to make the same recipe in but for waffles instead of pancakes - I'm thinking it may be less faff.

Has anyone got a waffle maker who could perhaps advise?

I don't have a waffle maker, as for me, I'm sure it would languish with the toastie maker in the back of a deep cupboard somewhere.

I did just want to comment though that a number of people have made "pancakes/wraps" merely by making and cooking an omelette mixture very thinly.

Any of these very bland recipes can be jazzed up by adding herbs, spices or flavours. If you're OK to use sweeteners, the world is your lobster potentially. (OK, bad example there!)

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy ground almonds - cheaper and more readily available. Asda sell the Whitworth’s brand, usually on offer at 3 packs for £3.

I don’t know how it compares to using normal flour as I only ever used that infrequently and have been following low carb recipes rather than adapting standard ones.

I’ve noticed you eat quite a bit of pork scratchings Madam. Is it safe and healthy?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve noticed you eat quite a bit of pork scratchings Madam. Is it safe and healthy?

Hi. Why wouldn’t they be? They fit all my criteria - very low carb, enough fat to keep me satisfied and easy to grab on the run during the working day. Brands I eat have no or very few additives.

What’s your concern about them?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Why wouldn’t they be? They fit all my criteria - very low carb, enough fat to keep me satisfied and easy to grab on the run during the working day. Brands I eat have no or very few additives.

What’s your concern about them?

There were a few things I over ate at the start of my LCHF ways that I can’t face anymore, one of them macadamias the other is pork scratchings! I can just about make a coating for frying out of them now.
I even used to make my own, the state my oven got in was worth it though.

Reactions: Goonergal