symtoms, need advice

mikey85

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hello people. I could do with some advice, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. Basically I've had these symptoms for around 4 years. Frequent need to urinate (not huge amounts) every 1-1.5 hours, sexual disfunction, tiredness/ lethargic also some bowel/IBS issues. Every test has came back clear, colonoscopy for IBS, bladder scans, urine/prostate exams etc. Always had it in the back of my mind possible diabetes, glucose intolerance of some discription due to years of stress, lack of or no exercise, poor diet, alcohol, smoking etc, shameful now that i look back! Im a 32yo male, correct weight etc. I've been realising recently how bad i feel after eating carbs (which i also crave daily) which is why I've landed here. Only ever had fasting blood sugar checked which was ok 2 years ago roughly. My next step is to purchase a meter & track my bs as doctors have always fobbed me off as healthy because im a young male not overweight etc. Always told its mental. My question is i suppose what readings should i be seeing & what are the best times to check? I've just had a massive craving for Terry's chocolate orange i feel like a drug addict sometimes with these carb cravings but i have just about suppressed it with some Greek yogurt & baby bells . Thanks in advance for any help!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was eating low carb for decades before diagnosis - I always felt so well on Atkins.
You might find a general improvement in how you feel and also not crave carbs so much, or even at all.
You would need to do your testing of BG before going low carb though, as it is very effective in removing the symptoms of diabetes.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It may be useful for you to use the search function within this site to look for posts on MONW, TOFI and as an outside chance LADA. Welcome to the forum, we cannot diagnose you, we are not doctors but if you have the results of HbA1c if that was one of your blood tests then that would be useful.

mikey85

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I was eating low carb for decades before diagnosis - I always felt so well on Atkins.
You might find a general improvement in how you feel and also not crave carbs so much, or even at all.
You would need to do your testing of BG before going low carb though, as it is very effective in removing the symptoms of diabetes.
Thanks for replying. Im definitely going to go low carb im looking at keto. I've ordered a meter should be with me next week & im going to test it with high carb meals. What readings should i expect to see?

mikey85

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
It may be useful for you to use the search function within this site to look for posts on MONW, TOFI and as an outside chance LADA. Welcome to the forum, we cannot diagnose you, we are not doctors but if you have the results of HbA1c if that was one of your blood tests then that would be useful.
Thanks for replying. Im going back to my doctors in January to push for more tests regarding to this so i will request all the results. I just don't have much faith in them since all i get is the 'your a healthy young man its all in your head' diagnosis even though for a 32yo i feel terrible! That's why im wanting to take readings & maybe ill find something to take to them in regards to my blood sugar. In the mean time I've quit smoking 5 days ago & joined a gym. Next up is to change my diet once I've tested my bs over a period of time.

Reactions: Guzzler

Hello people. I could do with some advice, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. Basically I've had these symptoms for around 4 years. Frequent need to urinate (not huge amounts) every 1-1.5 hours, sexual disfunction, tiredness/ lethargic also some bowel/IBS issues. Every test has came back clear, colonoscopy for IBS, bladder scans, urine/prostate exams etc. Always had it in the back of my mind possible diabetes, glucose intolerance of some discription due to years of stress, lack of or no exercise, poor diet, alcohol, smoking etc, shameful now that i look back! Im a 32yo male, correct weight etc. I've been realising recently how bad i feel after eating carbs (which i also crave daily) which is why I've landed here. Only ever had fasting blood sugar checked which was ok 2 years ago roughly. My next step is to purchase a meter & track my bs as doctors have always fobbed me off as healthy because im a young male not overweight etc. Always told its mental. My question is i suppose what readings should i be seeing & what are the best times to check? I've just had a massive craving for Terry's chocolate orange i feel like a drug addict sometimes with these carb cravings but i have just about suppressed it with some Greek yogurt & baby bells . Thanks in advance for any help!

Those symptoms I think are related to you having a very very high sugar level

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for replying. Im going back to my doctors in January to push for more tests regarding to this so i will request all the results. I just don't have much faith in them since all i get is the 'your a healthy young man its all in your head' diagnosis even though for a 32yo i feel terrible! That's why im wanting to take readings & maybe ill find something to take to them in regards to my blood sugar. In the mean time I've quit smoking 5 days ago & joined a gym. Next up is to change my diet once I've tested my bs over a period of time.

To test your blood glucose levels at home maintain a 'normal' diet and test before your first bite of food then test again two hours after your first bite. Record what you have eaten and both readings. The optimal difference between those two readings is less than 2mmol (for we of T2 the lower the difference the better).
You can take a fasting blood glucose reading too which is a reading taken first thing in the morning before any excertion. Remember to wash your hands carefully before taking any reading as this can eliminate contaminants from four fingers which could skew your readings.

I use a Codefree glucometer as the strips are one of the cheapest around. Good luck.

mikey85

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
To test your blood glucose levels at home maintain a 'normal' diet and test before your first bite of food then test again two hours after your first bite. Record what you have eaten and both readings. The optimal difference between those two readings is less than 2mmol (for we of T2 the lower the difference the better).
You can take a fasting blood glucose reading too which is a reading taken first thing in the morning before any excertion. Remember to wash your hands carefully before taking any reading as this can eliminate contaminants from four fingers which could skew your readings.

I use a Codefree glucometer as the strips are one of the cheapest around. Good luck.
That's the same meter that i have ordered. I am going to get a diary and take note of all my findings. Thanks for taking the time to help me with information

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
E="mikey85, post: 1646564, member: 460747"]That's the same meter that i have ordered. I am going to get a diary and take note of all my findings. Thanks for taking the time to help me with information[/QUOTE]

You're welcome. Just to add, try not to snack between meals as this may skew you're readings and well done on trying to give up the cigs, it never does any harm.

mikey85

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I agree also. But given the information I've written do you think that the doctor has done enough by just doing a fasting bs test?

mikey85

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I agree also. But given the information I've written do you think that the doctor has done enough by just doing a fasting bs test?
Am i barking up the wrong tree so to speak with the diabetes/ glucose intolerance thing? Im not sure if i am though considering how bad i feel after eating carbs

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Am i barking up the wrong tree so to speak with the diabetes/ glucose intolerance thing? Im not sure if i am though considering how bad i feel after eating carbs
Are you sure that you have not got a wheat intolerance? Just a thought. We are not doctors but just another avenue to explore perhaps

mikey85

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Are you sure that you have not got a wheat intolerance? Just a thought
This could also be the case. Im trying to eliminate wheat from my diet very very difficult but i will get there and eliminate it for good because i do believe there's no need for it in my diet. Thank you!

Reactions: derry60

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My partner has always been convinced they might have diabetes despite tests saying no. They recently got a freestyle libre sensor and meter and whilst results ok, it showed levels double after high carbohydrate meals. Conclusion for them take it easy on the carbs

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The sexual dysfunction, tired and lethargic are also signs your testosterone levels may be a little low as well. You should ask your Dr to do that test as well.
In the meantime. Get your diet straightened out and see how things go.

mikey85

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Ok so my meter came yesterday & I've tested twice with worrying results. Pre meal 6.0 post meal 7.4 (2 hours after last bite) & fasting this morning 6.6 which was a big shock

mikey85

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
When I first complained of these symptoms my testosterone was apparently a lot higher than the average for my age