I want to loose weight

Wolfhound

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had Type 2 for around 15 years now, I am 75, weigh 95kg, am very active walking every day with my dogs and have a very large garden that we open for the NGS in the summer.
I have seen my Diabetic Nurse today who is frankly no help at all and whilst my HbA1C is 60, otherwise everything is pretty normal. Blood pressure normal.
I have asked for advice on counting carbohydrates and getting my weight down as I understand that there is a chance of reducing my insulin and possibly stopping metformin if I change my diet. I also suffer from constipation and severe night cramps.
I would like to know how I can find correct recipes that will help me with this. How does one count carbohydrates and calories and possibly record the information. Should I go and see a dietician?
I am not a nurd so I am not as wizzy some the younger generation of today!
Please can someone give me some advice

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to start a low carb diet the you could do a lot worse than look here

www.dietdoctor.com

I think its a great site for info and recipes and you don't have to sign up or pay to get a huge chunk of info.

If you do decide to go down the low carb route be very careful with insulin though as low carbing can have quite significant effects on lowering blood sugar quite fast and the last thing you want is to hypo by having too much insulin.

It is usually best to do this in conjunction with your health care professionals. They should be able to advise on reduction in insulin dose as your blood sugars get lower. Its a case of testing and testing some more until you get a decent handle on what is going on.

I would also suggest looking up Dr Jason Fung on youtube. He has had a lot of success in getting his Type 2 patients off insulin injections and bringing their Type 2 under control.
His web site is here

https://idmprogram.com

again lots of very useful info.

Just take care of yourself.

Reactions: Salvia and dbr10

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are two good ways to loose weight and reduce blood sugars ...
  1. A LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet
  2. Intermittent Fasting
With both low carb and fasting you need to be careful that you don't get hypos if you are taking insulin, so some advice from your HCPs may be needed.

Take a look at this video to understand how reducing carbs will help ...

And take a look at this video to see the benefits of intermittent fasting for people who have type 2 diabetes and who need to lose weight.

Reactions: Wolfhound

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I have asked for advice on counting carbohydrates and getting my weight down as I understand that there is a chance of reducing my insulin and possibly stopping metformin if I change my diet. I also suffer from constipation and severe night cramps.

I'm not sure how an insulin dependent diabetic should count carbs, personally, be non insulin dependent I can use google. The following book is useful, https://books.google.co.uk/books/ab...l?id=n_S6mgEACAAJ&source=kp_cover&redir_esc=y.

As has been mentioned special care has to be exercised when taking insulin and doing anything with carbs, cutting or adding.

There are several PC programs, mobile phone and tablet apps available to record what you're eating. Food diaries are an excellent way of potentially seeing where you could adjust your diet. Googling "apps for carb calorie counting" will get a good list of choices. MyFitnessPal seems to be quite popular.

Seeing a dietician? I would hate to no, but to be honest the theory is to calculate your Resting Metabolic Rate (calories required to keep you alive when doing no physical activity) using something like the Harris Benedict formula, multiplying by the relevant number to take into account your amount of exercise and deduct 500 calories per day. That's the theory, trouble being we all burn calories at a different rate so you might be unlucky and get the wrong numbers. You will probably have the best idea of what you can eat without gaining weight.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I wanted to oput myself in your shoes first before I answered this query.
I'm no wizzy either but I'm on insulin and a type2.

Apparently what aging does, to everyone not just diabetics is shrink our muscles. Healthy amounts of protein can support the muscles and heart.
Many have lost weight on reducing their carbs.

If I was you I wouldn't do any severe diets but tweek the one your using so no shock to the cardiovascular system. Nor unexpected hypos too.
Slowly reduce some of your carbs and exchange for protein and healthy fats. Fats can slow my digestion, too much. However we are all different.
Just be aware of the implications before jumping into a new diet. Especially with insulin units involved.
Yes try and see your diabetic dietician, they are helpful in keeping me right.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had Type 2 for around 15 years now, I am 75, weigh 95kg, am very active walking every day with my dogs and have a very large garden that we open for the NGS in the summer.
I have seen my Diabetic Nurse today who is frankly no help at all and whilst my HbA1C is 60, otherwise everything is pretty normal. Blood pressure normal.
I would like to know how I can find correct recipes that will help me with this. How does one count carbohydrates and calories and possibly record the information. Should I go and see a dietician?

Hi there, and well done on proactively taking steps to improve your health.

If you are taking insulin, then do be very careful of making changes to your diet and lifestyle without understanding the potential impact on your blood sugars and insulin requirements. Please ensure you are testing frequently and certainly many times a day.

Reducing carbohydrates, without adjusting your insulin can lead to unwanted and unexpected hypos. Have you discussed how you can or could adjust your insulin with your medical team? That really is important.

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am no expert on T2 and taking insulin (been a helliva long time since I took any!) but do you measure your blood sugar on a regular basis? You don't mention it in your post so was wondering.

I would agree to try slowly reducing your carbs, and potentially your insulin, measuring your blood sugars as you go to understand how this is affecting you. If you can reduce your blood sugar levels and insulin, I am sure that will lead to weight loss... But do find a supportive medic to help you.

And cramps and constipation probably means you are dehydrated - use the colour of your urine to guide you!

Good luck :)

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot to add that following the principles of the 8 week blood sugar diet, by Michael Moseley without counting calories, is a great place to start getting your head around a low carb way of eating. There is a book that is freely available and not very expensive - it used to be in Tesco for a few quid. Might give you a few pointers and things to try...

Wolfhound

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for your very helpful messages. I feel much more confident now in reducing my carbs and increasing my fats. Always thought that eating all those healthy no-grains was not for me, so here goes!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you everyone for your very helpful messages. I feel much more confident now in reducing my carbs and increasing my fats. Always thought that eating all those healthy no-grains was not for me, so here goes!
What plans have you got for reducing your insulin therapy and how are you basing it?
If you stop cereal, bread and all carbs that your meals are now currently based I was able to half my insulin. Maybe do one meal at a time and don't rush the reduction but be very heavy on testing and test more until your happy reducing carbs to the level where protein starts getting converted to glucose in carbs absence, maybe.

Wolfhound

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What plans have you got for reducing your insulin therapy and how are you basing it?
If you stop cereal, bread and all carbs that your meals are now currently based I was able to half my insulin. Maybe do one meal at a time and don't rush the reduction but be very heavy on testing and test more until your happy reducing carbs to the level where protein starts getting converted to glucose in carbs absence, maybe.
Good advice. I have started this morning cutting my carbs by 50% and doing frequent tests . Will up protein and reduce insulin if I start going low. Interesting times ahead. Many thanks

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to emphasize - lowering carbs WILL LOWER YOUR NEED FOR INSULIN.
A 50 percent reduction does seem like a lot all at once.

I am eating a low carb diet and last time I checked my BG after dinner I was at 5.9mmol/l - full on type two diabetic without any medication. Low carb eating is a very powerful tool for reducing blood glucose, please be careful.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

wmcquade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wolfhound I recently bought book from diabetes .co.uk carb and calorie counter. In this book it gives the carb value every type of food even fast chain junk. I was taught to take 1 unit of insulin for every 10 carbs, therefore a meal with 200 carbs would mean an insulin dose of 20 units. I was also informed that correctional doses should be calculated on a 1to 2 ratio, I.e. Mmol reading of 12 would mean a correctional insulin dose 3 units, acceptable levels blood sugar 5-8mmol so 3 units of insulin would bring level down to six, within 5-8 mmol. 3x2=6 mmol 12-6=6. Hope this helps m8.

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a word about the other problems you mention - constipation and night cramps - both can be encouraged by lack of fluid intake, so do make sure you are drinking plenty (preferably non-alcoholic!!). If you are reducing carbs, increasing salt might be a good idea, but personally I find that too much salt gives me MORE cramp. Finally, one thing that stops night cramps within thirty seconds is one quarter of a teaspoon of Epsom salts. But only if you are getting cramps from a shortage of magnesium, so try a few times and if it doesn't work you have wasted a whole 70p on a pack of Epsom salts from Boots. (DON'T use horticultural stuff, it could be high in lead and such like!)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"
While Epsom salt baths can be relaxing, they are not recommended for people with diabetes. Epsom salt is made up of magnesium sulfate. Why does that matter? When Epsom salts are added to a warm bath, some magnesium can be absorbed through the skin, causing an increased release of insulin, leading to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

What about just soaking your feet? This is still not recommended. People with diabetes tend to have poor circulation to their feet and toes, making it hard for sores and wounds to heal. Soaks can cause dryness and irritation to the feet and can lead to cracking and infection. These are perfect sources for bacteria to invade, causing infection. Always try to avoid products that may dry out your skin or cause irritation, and always talk to your doctor before trying new products. "

http://www.emedtv.com/managing-your...ve-diabetes,-can-i-take-epsom-salt-baths.html

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @Wolfhound ,

A warm welcome to the forum..

You've had a lot of great advice about caution with insulin..

I took the liberty of looking up what meds your prescribed on your profile..?

"Metformin, Glargine, Liraglutide, Gliclazide, simvastatin, Aspirin"

With regards to lowering your carb intake with the Glargine running as a basal (long acting background insulin.) be very cautious of possible recuring hypos regarding your prescribed fixed dosage..
The gliclazide too stimulates the pancreas to help produce your own insulin. More caution needed with lowering carbs.
Both gliclazide & metformin stop the liver dumping glycogen into your bloodstream which could cause a faster BS drop?
Along with insulin sensitivity increase with the aformentioned metformin...

I wish you well achieving your goal.
But please bear this in mind when changing a long standing diet with regards to your current medication & set dosage.

Keep your meter handy at all times!