Forgetting to take a shot.

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I thought I understood my condition fairly well until a couple of recent incidents when I forgot to take my mealtime shots. The first time was at breakfast; I remembered a couple of hours later and took my usual 5 units. By noon I was hypo.

The second occasion was with an evening meal when I would normally take 10-12 units. Three hours later I tested as usual and was high but only needed 3 units to bring me back into the zone.

I'm trying to figure what my body is doing. Am I still producing some natural insulin or is my liver doing something clever/drastic? Anyone found something similar?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi - it's difficult to work out from this information alone what could be causing this - if you are fairly newly diagnosed then your pancreas might be in the honeymoon phase and squirting a bit of insulin still. However it could also mean your carb/insulin ratios may need adjusting. Personally I look for repeat patterns to establish what's going on, so if this was happening 2-3 times then it would help decide what's happening and then if necessary I change my dose/ratio. Best suggestion is to keep a track of your readings/doses/carbs eaten to see if you can define any patterns with this.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I agree with @Juicyj
keeping a full diary of blood test results , food consumed , insulin injections , exercise done , illness etc etc
all will build a pattern , to help determine possible adjustments that might need to be made. ( this is what I do )

Your first point of contact should be your DSN ( diabetic nurse ).
she gets paid to review your numbers with you and suggest tweaks if required.

Obviously there are loads of us on here that have this sort of knowledge but giving specific direct advice is against the rules of the forum.
It is really impossible to know what is happening with isolated incidents.

usually there are patterns to be found , but many of us will also tell you that at times an odd result will happen for no reason that we can figure out. that can be frustrating even for us time served veterans of this D ( 45 years for me )

Reactions: Sweetheart66

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I used to forget to take my shots on a regular basis, working in a very busy garage reception. I purchased a "Timesulin" which goes on top of your pen and resets every time you take the top of. Maybe worth looking into for forgetfulness :)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to forget to take my shots on a regular basis, working in a very busy garage reception. I purchased a "Timesulin" which goes on top of your pen and resets every time you take the top of. Maybe worth looking into for forgetfulness :)
I've found the Timesulin caps very useful as well, mainly because although I didn't often forget to take my insulin, I often forgot if I had taken it - which obviously caused a dilemma - take it and hope I hadn't taken it already or not take it and possibly end up sky-high - the sky-high option was always taken.

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I purchased a "Timesulin" which goes on top of your pen and resets every time you take the top of.

I use a Novopen which takes my Novorapid cartridges. It has a display of last dose and time since take built-in. There have been many instances when I've forgotten whether I'v taken my dose so I find it very useful.

I also have a stock of disposable pens in case the refillable one is broken/lost.

Reactions: porl69