Superseded

Wayne18000

Hi all. I put my diabetic repeat prescription in to the doctors and when I went to pick it up from the chemist on the Saturday my Novorapid was missing. Phoned the doctors this morning only for the receptionist to say it had been Superseded and won't be issuing it any more. No phone call from the doctors when they were doing my prescription or letter. So I asked to speak to a doctor only to be told that there were no telephone appointments today. As well as not knowing what superseded meant and nor did the receptionist by the way. What if I never had any novorapid left! What would I do then! I think it's totally unprofessional and dangerous to do that with no explanation so giving me time to sort something out! Have just looked the word up and I'm thinking it means replaced with something else!?

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm, not heard of it being replaced. I had a script filled just last week so it's still available.

The only thing I can think of is FIASP which is a faster acting one from the same manufacturer, but an additional one not a replacement AFAIK.

Reactions: Wayne18000

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Wayne18000 I would call back to your practice and ask to speak to the Practice Manager, explain the situation and that you are insulin dependent and require this on your prescription, and ask them to find out as a matter of urgency what the situation is ? I agree that they shouldn't be doing this without prior consultation, however as we don't know the circumstances I think you need to find out more first as to what is going on, keep us posted ?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
How silly of a doctors to do that to an insulin taker?

Is this common?
Is this because under gp instruction insulin and not consultant?

My consultant changed mine but gp outright supported me but explained it had to be instructed by hospital.
I couldn't ask for better support but I was told their limitations. As rightly so.

I hope you get it sorted asap @Wayne18000 . I'll be keen to hear as you get on. Don't be fobbed off til 5.30pm today. Practice Manager or deputy can be made available.
Pester them if you have too. ;)

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is completely unacceptable. Ask the Practice Manager to fix it. Novorapid is still readily available. Fiasp has a different time profile (faster) but is not a replacement. Novorapid is the standard for fast-acting so I don't understand what your surgery is doing.

Wayne18000

Just an update, phoned the diabetic nurse at hospital and she couldn't understand why. She phoned my gp surgery and told them a doc must ring me to explain. Doc rang and said that it certainly hasn't been superseded so doesn't understand why I was told that and it must have been overlooked when the prescription was being noted by the gp! Thank you for your comments

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Look on the bright side, @Wayne18000 - you just learnt a new word (I mean "Superseded", not a cuss word!) and how to spell it. ;)

Hope it all works out well, with no further blips.

Caz_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all. I put my diabetic repeat prescription in to the doctors and when I went to pick it up from the chemist on the Saturday my Novorapid was missing. Phoned the doctors this morning only for the receptionist to say it had been Superseded and won't be issuing it any more. No phone call from the doctors when they were doing my prescription or letter. So I asked to speak to a doctor only to be told that there were no telephone appointments today. As well as not knowing what superseded meant and nor did the receptionist by the way. What if I never had any novorapid left! What would I do then! I think it's totally unprofessional and dangerous to do that with no explanation so giving me time to sort something out! Have just looked the word up and I'm thinking it means replaced with something else!?
Yes superceded does mean replaced in a sense. I would guess your surgery is replacing it with sometjing similar but cheaper. However, they should have prescribed the replacement and also made you aware. X

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
UNBELIEEEEEEEEVABLE! Wow, so glad you sought - and received - clarification. Shocked at their approach to simply NOT supply life-saving medication in that way!
:banghead:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Idi*ts.
Beggers belief.

Sooo you're still on novarapid after all?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can 'understand' a case of either a typo, misunderstanding or Chinese whispers at the surgery's end, but for the pharmacy to not know jack doodoo - ok Wayne hasn't mentioned it but I'd assume they'd have at least asked if he had enough to last him, offered to give him some, and know that novorapid hadn't been replaced and therefore double checked with the surgery there and then that the script was incorrect surely?

Or am I being too optimistic.............