Struggling with lunches

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thanks for all the information gleaned from here so far - I'm still learning. I'm struggling with lunches - it does take longer now to make dinner than before so I like something quick for lunch - at home. I take yogurt and blueberries for breakfast. Is it ok for me to have this for lunch as well some days or do I need more variety of foods? Dinner is chicken or fish and 2 types of vegetables - I vary each day what we eat.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Omelettes are a nice, quick lunch. So are salads. I make up a batch of soup, and freeze that in daily portions. Lo-carb food is not usually convenience food - so I often make batches of food and freeze portions for convenience. Stuff like chilli con cone carne, curries, shephards/cottage pie (lo-carb or no topping) all freeze well, and can be heated quickly in the microwave.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree lunches are difficult ,my husband and I usually have about 1 hour for lunch so it is a bit of a flap. I find eggs are the most useful John will have egg sandwich and I have scrambled egg cooked in micro with either tomato and or cheese,we may have bacon and egg .I also try to cook a roast at weekend and have enough cold meat for a couple of lunches with mixed salad leaves and cucumber.Like P atch we have lots of home made soups.cauliflower cheese is quick and easy .
CAROL

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
lunch prepared ahead of time is a possible answer.
If I need to do this[ I usually don't because I'm home alone then] I have some useful staples.
Home made soups
home made burgers.
Fish fingers[ childish, but I love them]
Ready prepared salads
home made coleslaw.
small can of mackerell in tomato sauce
tuna mayo
Hana

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find a couple of Ryvita with some cheese fills that gap in is approx 10-12g of carbs. Especially if I'm in a hurry. Today I had a small portion of left-over cheesy leeks with them instead of cheese. Cheese sauce is low carb - just 1 oz butter, 1-2 Tbs creme fraiche and 1-2 tbs philadelphia cheese mixed in a pan over a low heat. Very approximate amounts for 3 people. Add lots of grated cheese and some mustard for higher flavour and fat and protein content if needed.

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thanks to all for the ideas. Omelette is a great idea for lunch, must try the scrambled egg and cheese or tomato. I tried making home made soup a few times with the prepared vegetables from the supermarket, chicken stock cube and chicken but I found it was putting my blood sugars up. Gave up soup after that - can anyone give me ideas for soup please as that would be a good solution.

Hana can you please tell me how you make the homemade coleslaw - again the shop bought puts my bs up.

Hadn't though of cauliflower cheese either for lunch, or cheesy leeks. Got some ideas now to start me off.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i make soup with leeks peppers green beans a small piece of celairiac to thicken if I have some meat left I add this after the soup is cooked but you need to make sure it is very hot before serving.This has no effect on my bs I find most home made veg soup is ok providing you dont use potato or a lot of carrot and dont thicken with flour or similar.
CAROL

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I found a recipe online for low carb Cauliflower Bisque - I've just made it and it is absolutely delicious. Carol, I must try your soup too - want to freeze a few different ones so I don't get tired of the one kind.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I find 3 ryvitas with the pumpkin seeds etc spread with houmous and some carrot batons with houmous appear not to cause me problems.

Ali

mike944

Agree lunch is difficult especially if you are at work. I tend to have salad and some meat or cheese. A tin of tuna is a fairly quick snack too.