symtoms, need advice

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Ok so my meter came yesterday & I've tested twice with worrying results. Pre meal 6.0 post meal 7.4 (2 hours after last bite) & fasting this morning 6.6 which was a big shock

The following chart might give you an idea of BG levels for diabetic and non diabetic. Divide the mg/Dl figure by 18 to give you mmol/L

blood-sugar-level-chart.jpg

There are several similar charts available from various sources.

mikey85

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
The reading on my meter is mmol/L. What is or how do I test mg/dl & is it even necessary if my meter is giving me my reading in mmol/L already?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The reading on my meter is mmol/L. What is or how do I test mg/dl & is it even necessary if my meter is giving me my reading in mmol/L already?
Mmol/l are the units for UK testing. Most of Europe and the US use mg/dl. Your meter is using the right range if you're based in the UK, don't worry.
:)

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please see a different doctor about your symptoms. If they don't listen get a second opinion. You can't diagnose yourself with a meter. We can't diagnose you.

There are pitfalls of extreme health anxiety and eating disorders along the path that you are taking. Please be careful, eat normally and get the tests done to find out what is causing your symptoms.

mikey85

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I'm due to see the doctor on 10th January so in the meantime I'll keep checking my bs & take notes in my diary. Not sure what you mean by eat normally though? If I eat low carb, eggs bacon & mushrooms for breakfast. Salmon/chicken salad for lunch & some meat & veg for dinner I feel better. If I eat like I did last night to test ( sausage & chips from chip shop) I feel terrible. I literally felt drugged this morning & still don't feel great.

mikey85

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Please see a different doctor about your symptoms. If they don't listen get a second opinion. You can't diagnose yourself with a meter. We can't diagnose you.

There are pitfalls of extreme health anxiety and eating disorders along the path that you are taking. Please be careful, eat normally and get the tests done to find out what is causing your symptoms.
I have to disagree though with the pitfalls in the path I am taking comment considering I've spent years eating junk, not exercising, smoking & drinking. I think there was pitfalls in that lifestyle. But now I've joined a gym stopped smoking & drinking and am being careful to watch what I eat, consuming less junk food & I don't think keeping an eye on my blood sugar is a bad thing either to give me an idea what foods raise it more than others. I think they're are all steps towards a healthier life.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So sorry, did not mean to offend. I don't know you and of course I agree that taking steps towards a healthier life are good things.

I do feel rough going from low carb to chip shop food that would take me to 11 plus on my meter. That is quite an extreme challenge for anyone's metabolic system.

I'm so pleased you are seeing a doctor. I just wish to you did not have to wait for the correct lab tests as any changes you make now will affect those tests. I hope you find a doctor with more knowledge, time and patience than mine.

mikey85

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Don't worry you didn't offend me & I appreciate anyone that takes the time to give me advice which is why I came here. I'm just frustrated at feeling **** & getting no answers. So far I've managed to lesson my symptoms of depression & ibs (to the point they no longer affect my day to day life) through researching & diet rather than rely on the meds that the doctors hand out, they just make you feel worse imo! I want to get back to feeling 100% through correct nutrition, sleep & exercise. If my doctor needs me to go back to eating junk temporarily to carry out tests I'll just have to do it but regardless if the results come back positive or negative I'll carry on the low carb route & hope that it is some sort of wheat intolerance that eventually removes the symptoms with avoidance. One last thing 2 hours after a breakfast of bacon, eggs & mushrooms my reading was 5.5 which gave me some relief!

Last edited:

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@mikey85 good on the testosterone levels. Now that can be eliminated as a symptom. Poor sleep habits and high stress levels can also lead to feeling burned out.
Tracking you bg levels for a while will give you an idea of how certain foods affect your levels and by how much. My dietician always wants to see between 5-8 for me. That includes after meals.
Try eating the same meal the same day two weeks in a row and see if your levels go up the same amount. Remember to try keep portion size the same. If they stay relatively equal, you can try substituting, ie; remove the piece of bread and add some full fat cheese and then see if there is a difference.
Even though I try to avoid carbs as much as possible, I have found (for me anyway) that a small apple will lower my bg a bit. That said, I don’t eat a lot of fruit and usually only drink coffee with full fat cream and water. Over the course of a year I may have a total of 2 cans of fizzy‘s and those are each shared with my wife.
Making sure to stay hydrated also helps keep bg’s lower. If your pee looks like apple juice, you need more water. I have seen a different of almost 2 full point over two days just by changing the amount of water I drink. I now strive for a minimum of 80oz/day.

Reactions: Granny_grump_