Type 1 diabetic, baby measuring small!

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ladies,

So this is my second pregnancy, so I’m not stranger to how it all goes but being a type 1 diabetic mum I was expecting big babies.

My little boy was always on the 95th centile so when I had my 28 week growth scan today I couldn’t believe it when they said baby’s on the 5-10th centile!!

How can I have a small second baby! hba1c is 6.2% and I’m having highs ..

They’ve said if baby stays small I’ll have no choice but to have a c-section!
Any other mums experiencing something similar?

x

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Madelinelowery my daughter was 4lb 9 at birth. Induced not c-section.

You have a while to go yet so keep talking to your team about options. Baby is still growing and c-sections not inevitable.

@wiflib any advice?

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Madelinelowery my daughter was 4lb 9 at birth. Induced not c-section.

You have a while to go yet so keep talking to your team about options. Baby is still growing and c-sections not inevitable.

@wiflib any advice?

Well I said to my consultant if the baby is small can I still opt for a natural and she said no it will be out of your hands.

By this point with my son he was 4lb! Crazy how different it is. Baby’s breach at the moment too so if baby doesn’t turn I’ll have a section anyway.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I said to my consultant if the baby is small can I still opt for a natural and she said no it will be out of your hands.

By this point with my son he was 4lb! Crazy how different it is. Baby’s breach at the moment too so if baby doesn’t turn I’ll have a section anyway.

I can’t comment on the reasons why the baby MAY appear small on the scan but the important thing is that the baby is actually growing and not falling of the chart. They need to be looking at the amniotic fluid index, abdominal circumference and umbilical dopplers too and then the whole picture. It could be that your first baby was larger than he should have been and this one is within the normal parameters for its genetic make up.

One thing is for sure, your Obstetrician is an ****. NOTHING is out of your hands and every choice is yours, everything that happens to you is YOUR decision, not theirs. I’m so sick of doctors with the God complex.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Position means nothing at this gestation and you still don’t have to have a CS if the baby is breech.

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I had a similar scan done at about 27 weeks and I was told my baby was on 10th centile and that I would need extra scans to track. The next scan he measured on 50th, then the same for the next 2 and on my last one at 36 weeks I was told he was only on 25th and his growth had slowed so I'd need another scan to check at 37+5. I was told then he was on the 60th and he was about 7lb 8oz. 3 days later I gave birth to him and he weighed 8lb 13 oz at 38+1. So don't pin everything on your scan. Difficult position in the womb and one off measurement can cause huge fluctuations in their estimations of size. He could be bigger. X

saruhbeau

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you have a section with your first? I can't see a reason for a section just because baby is on a low centile. I would question your consultant on that.

Has the baby been measuring small the whole pregnancy or have they dropped centiles? Some babies are just smaller than others and are perfectly healthy.

How much did your first weigh when he was born? Sorry I'm just being nosy! I am 32 weeks. At my last growth scan at 29w he was estimated to be 3lb 1oz which is about 50th centile. But has a huge head my a1c is the same as yours but my blood sugars are definitely not perfect either.x

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you have a section with your first? I can't see a reason for a section just because baby is on a low centile. I would question your consultant on that.

Has the baby been measuring small the whole pregnancy or have they dropped centiles? Some babies are just smaller than others and are perfectly healthy.

How much did your first weigh when he was born? Sorry I'm just being nosy! I am 32 weeks. At my last growth scan at 29w he was estimated to be 3lb 1oz which is about 50th centile. But has a huge head my a1c is the same as yours but my blood sugars are definitely not perfect either.x

Hey,

Yeah I had an emergency section with my first after pushing and forceps. Baby got stuck! He weighed 7lb 12oz at 37 weeks.

This baby has measured small all the way through, maybe it’s a girl and it’s smaller
X

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I had an emergency section with my first and vbac with my next 2. My 2nd birth was a twin vbac as well.

Reactions: Diakat

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maddieeeeee!!

I've just replied to your private message but only just seen this. Wow congratulations sweetie!! Talk to you soon have to drop me your number :) xx