Live in the US. New to this awesome forum!

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there! Greetings from Southern California. My name is Alex and I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at age 21 in January 2014.

I am now 25 and have been farming for 3 and a half years! It's tough work but I love being active.

Hi Sunny Days welcome to this forum
I have learned more on this forum than any other source .

Reactions: SunnyDaysWithAlex

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Hi @SunnyDaysWithAlex Welcome to the forum anything you have concerns about just post the question and someone will get back to you, at least you don't need to worry about keeping fit with your hi energy job,good on you!K

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there! Greetings from Southern California. My name is Alex and I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at age 21 in January 2014.

I am now 25 and have been farming for 3 and a half years! It's tough work but I love being active.

What sort of farming do you do?

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I do! I am going to be leaving my position soon but yes I've been farming only for a short while but have learned a lot.
@SunnyDaysWithAlex just seen your post just curious what are you looking to do when you leave farming,I've always been interested in what people do for a living and how different other countries are from here in UK, the farming in USA will be on a massive scale to farms here are you looking to change careers completely or stay within farming?
And on a different note have you coped well with your diabetes, I'm type2 but my sister and grandson are type1 like yourself and neither of them cope well with it at all,everyone is different but with the information on this site I've gotten more control than at any other time in my life. The NHS guidelines are not the best advice they advocate eating carbs which raises my BG levels,I'm better low carbing and I can maintain steady BG levels.
This is the best site you will find to help with any problems you might have just ask away someone will pick up on it and answer you. Lovely chatting with you, hope you have a great day! K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am actually completely switching careers. Yikes! I would really like to be an actress. So I am going for it while I still can! And my brother was diagnosed as Type 1 when he was 4 years old but since I was only diagnosed at age 21 I feel very grateful I was able to have a childhood without it. I'm sending good thoughts to you and your sister and grandson. It is definitely a struggle some days more than others but I've grown so much because of it I am glad I am able to live with this and stay strong. When I become an actress, I want to advocate and spread awareness as much as possible.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@SunnyDaysWithAlex just seen your post just curious what are you looking to do when you leave farming,I've always been interested in what people do for a living and how different other countries are from here in UK, the farming in USA will be on a massive scale to farms here are you looking to change careers completely or stay within farming?
And on a different note have you coped well with your diabetes, I'm type2 but my sister and grandson are type1 like yourself and neither of them cope well with it at all,everyone is different but with the information on this site I've gotten more control than at any other time in my life. The NHS guidelines are not the best advice they advocate eating carbs which raises my BG levels,I'm better low carbing and I can maintain steady BG levels.
This is the best site you will find to help with any problems you might have just ask away someone will pick up on it and answer you. Lovely chatting with you, hope you have a great day! K
I am actually completely switching careers. Yikes! I would really like to be an actress. So I am going for it while I still can! And my brother was diagnosed as Type 1 when he was 4 years old but since I was only diagnosed at age 21 I feel very grateful I was able to have a childhood without it. I'm sending good thoughts to you and your sister and grandson. It is definitely a struggle some days more than others but I've grown so much because of it I am glad I am able to live with this and stay strong. When I become an actress, I want to advocate and spread awareness as much as possible.

Reactions: Prem51
Type of diabetes
Type 1
holistic chicken farming. better explain that to me and my chucks,turkeys and geese.
Hi yes we use rotational grazing practices with all our animals and farm with Biodynamic practices. Everything is done with care for soil regeneration and animal welfare. It's probably the normal way you all farm in the UK but we are just late to the game!

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@SunnyDaysWithAlex I really admire your can do attitude it will carry you far,wishing you Good Luck with your career has an Actress it's not the easiest of professions to get into but I do hope you make it. Have a fabulous Christmas and a great New Year from me to you Go get um girl knock them dead!!!Kathleen

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi sunny we just farm a couple of dozen sheep, 6 shetland ponies, loads of chickens remainders of our egg unit, 12 geese, 6 turkeys that were left over from 2 Christmas dinners ago, and a peahen. most i guess are pets really. our scale there is no money its a big drain. im impressed all we hear from the usa is factory farming and chlorine washing of chicken. it makes us europeans squirm.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@SunnyDaysWithAlex I really admire your can do attitude it will carry you far,wishing you Good Luck with your career has an Actress it's not the easiest of professions to get into but I do hope you make it. Have a fabulous Christmas and a great New Year from me to you Go get um girl knock them dead!!!Kathleen
Thank you for the words of encouragement! I wish you a really beautiful holiday and news years!

Reactions: Granny_grump_
Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi sunny we just farm a couple of dozen sheep, 6 shetland ponies, loads of chickens remainders of our egg unit, 12 geese, 6 turkeys that were left over from 2 Christmas dinners ago, and a peahen. most i guess are pets really. our scale there is no money its a big drain. im impressed all we hear from the usa is factory farming and chlorine washing of chicken. it makes us europeans squirm.
Oh that sounds like a lovely bunch of animals!! Yes a lot of our animals feel like pets as well! They just have so much personality! And yes I know it's so frightening how our agricultural industry is so messed up. But the farm owners here are amazing and are doing some groundbreaking work. We are featured on Super Soul Sunday if you want to check the farm out! It's Apricot Lane Farms. Have an awesome day!