Type 2 hgv food advise

big_red_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
:oops::meh::confused:HI
am new to this, been diagnosed about a year now with type 2 am a hgv class 1 trucker have been for all my working life ,
4yrs to retirement and get this, I am a fussy eater don't like fancy food , fry up plain good English food , my question what can I do for a pack up while I am at work ,(the wife cooks a good meal at home for tea) but she is struggling with what I will eat to what I should eat I have no way of cooking during the day I hate salad cold rice stuff am fed up of sandwiches I only like white bread (basically un healthy stuff) I like meat , hate veg, only potatoes in any form will do, with a few peas on my plate I am very active at work in and out of the cab which brings the levels down , but at the weekends I don't exercise much as I have a bad back due to fused discs . am struggling

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @big_red_dog,

Welcome to the forum. I am tagging @daisy1, who provides some wonderful advice to newbies.

Could tell us a bit more about yourself? This would help us to maybe make some suggestions.

Are you on any medication? Do you have any other health issues that might be impacted by diet? What kind of blood sugars do you see normally?

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i doubt you need us to tell you what you need to do. you know it cut the bread spuds ect. how about soup in a thermos or learn to love salads with a little dressing it helps with the taste. investigate lower carb choices.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It can't be easy. You can eat proteins and fats fairly freely so make use of eggs, bacon etc. Fruit is good if not tropical. Try to find some veg that you do like; have a look round the supermarket and see if there's some veg you haven't yet tried. 85% Dark chocolate is good is good for snacking - same for cheese. Nuts are always good.

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Low carb doesn't seem to suit me, I eat more or less what I want but I keep an eye on the calories, keep portions small, I have round of toast for breakfast a cheese or ham salad sandwich with salad cream for lunch and whatever is going for dinner, but no snacking I between.in 6 weeks I have lost 8kg and halved my BG doing this, also I will eat nuts and dark chocolate, and a small amount of fruit.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like meat
Eat meat then.. cold sausages, bacon, hams maybe cheese? pork scratchings. scotch eggs ideally home made without the breadcrumbs. Ditch the spuds. But eggs, bacon, high meat sausage are all fine.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@big_red_dog

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it both interesting and useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 259,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

big_red_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Low carb doesn't seem to suit me, I eat more or less what I want but I keep an eye on the calories, keep portions small, I have round of toast for breakfast a cheese or ham salad sandwich with salad cream for lunch and whatever is going for dinner, but no snacking I between.in 6 weeks I have lost 8kg and halved my BG doing this, also I will eat nuts and dark chocolate, and a small amount of fruit.

big_red_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thank you for the advise much appreciated , will have to leave salad cream out and salad cant stand the stuff , plus I don't have any teeth for nuts , I love them too, this diabetes did for my teeth am not being obstructive and ungrateful for your support I truly am in a fix with what I like and can eat, the wife is at the end of patients I am trying but the stuff that I should eat makes me sick, thank you again.xx

big_red_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @big_red_dog,

Welcome to the forum. I am tagging @daisy1, who provides some wonderful advice to newbies.

Could tell us a bit more about yourself? This would help us to maybe make some suggestions.

Are you on any medication? Do you have any other health issues that might be impacted by diet? What kind of blood sugars do you see normally?

big_red_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
HI yes no problem , I am well over weight I know , been trying to loose it have had some success , six foot three fused discs in my back cant walk far as back is bad ankles both been broken a few times , so they not brilliant , am 4 yrs to retirement , been trucker all my working life lived in the truck cooked in the truck ,on long distance smoked since I was 9 but now am proud to say a none smoker am on two metformin morning and two evening I take both with meals , I cant eat early morning as I am away around 4am and don't stop until I am at my destination or have to take my break (truckers will know what I mean ) I try to eat my pack up around mid morning ,or go for a breakfast if I am near a truck stop , if I get home the wife cooks a meal and she always has fruit as a sweet" am sick of fruit "has to be soft though, blood sugar is around 8 on a morning depending on if I have had a particular busy day or at home on a night , during the day could drop to 5 oh i also get kidney stones so I cant eat a lot of dairy produce , am a night mare that's what you get for being a work a holic my good lady says providing for the family and not taking care of yourself .my cholesterol is ok bp ok have I missed anything .thank you

big_red_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
think soup is a good idea but I would have to take a couple of thermos with me as i don't work normal 8 hours a day hgv driving has long old hours , plus sitting around waiting to be unloaded and loaded and, your up against the clock some times you could work a 15 hour day 9 hours off have to be at a destination at a certain time,(for your unloading time if you late it came be a problem for you and your company) so you just cant stop to eat you have to take it as it comes ,that's where most of the problem lies eating sandwich on the go to keep your blood sugar up i don like dark chocolate either sorry , HAD A SALAD SAT NIGHT LOADS OF MEAT 3PIECES OF LETUCE that's good for me oh and grated carrot one small tomato two new boiled pot, . that took me a while to work up to that , the wife made a think she called it paella rice prawns chicken crae fish peas tomatoes carrot all mixed together it was ok think I can get to like that and she dos a stew of meat and veg but spuds do go with that and I get so hungry , i limit the spuds though so am trying , habits of a life time ,plus when we were kids it was get some bread with that , or if you hungry get some jam and bread , eat plenty of spuds to fill you up, now all what we were told is bad for us . oh and i don't drink alcohol.

big_red_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @big_red_dog,

big_red_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
sorry i cant eat grapes peaches as they immediately make me rain sweat and send bloods through the roof .they recently changed the make of the metformin from TEVN to ACTVIS and another brand and the blood sugers went mental up into the high teens got an appointment with the nurse and doc they change it back to TEVN and within 24 hours it came back down to single figures only thing now is it left me with small protein in my urine trying to get that sorted now .

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @big_red_dog,

Based on your information, cheese (such as mini-babybels) seem to be a good option. Another option that might work is full fat unflavored greek yoghurt. I sometimes also buy wiener sausages -- they are easy to take along even cold, just make sure they have a low carb count.

Do you or your wife bake? If yes, dietdoctor has a great recipe for low carb bread. Here is the link: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread.

If you have a sweet tooth (and given the infos you gave us, you might not), small portions of high cocoa content chocolate (85% or higher) seems to be okay for most of us, as are small portions of raspberries, blackberries and strawberries.

I also like olives -- but I know they are not everyone's favorite. Do you like any vegetables at all?

Mark_1

I cook a load of chicken and some low carb sauce or rub, Nando’s for instance and portion it into 3 Tupperware pots. Then microwave it before I leave and throw it into a thermos. You could do the same with a meat stew, without the potatoes or a chilli,soups, pulled pork etc. Two slow cooker meals based around a meat could last you a week.

Reactions: DeejayR

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Eat meat then.. cold sausages, bacon, hams maybe cheese? pork scratchings. scotch eggs ideally home made without the breadcrumbs. Ditch the spuds. But eggs, bacon, high meat sausage are all fine.
I couldnt agree more @big_red_dog . All the above are fine. Nuts are ok too in low amounts, maybe bagged up in small portions as sometimes cheaper to buy in bulk.
Well done for making these unusual but very very effective changes.

big_red_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @big_red_dog,

Based on your information, cheese (such as mini-babybels) seem to be a good option. Another option that might work is full fat unflavored greek yoghurt. I sometimes also buy wiener sausages -- they are easy to take along even cold, just make sure they have a low carb count.

Do you or your wife bake? If yes, dietdoctor has a great recipe for low carb bread. Here is the link: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread.

If you have a sweet tooth (and given the infos you gave us, you might not), small portions of high cocoa content chocolate (85% or higher) seems to be okay for most of us, as are small portions of raspberries, blackberries and strawberries.

I also like olives -- but I know they are not everyone's favourite. Do you like any vegetables at all?

thank you for your help and I am sorry to say I cant stand cheeses of any kind , the smell texture make me want to throw up will get the wife to look at the white bread recipe , it may work , am such a finicky eater its hard on me and the wife , she has to put up with me moaning that am hungry and what can I eat , she has given up in some respects as I seem to keep saying I don't like that or no way am I eating fish , I was brought up meat and two veg , bread to fill you up with plenty of potatoes , and clean plates sorry folks but at 62 its hard to change your habits , I am slowly getting there wife made a paella with fish and chicken and I actually surprised myself and asked for more , just like Oliver , she nearly needed oxygen poor awled thing , but I am limiting my spuds actually had some cauli and peas and carrots for xmas dinner , mind you gran bairn had more veg than me ,BUT its a start, keep the ideas coming I do appreciate it , and I need to re educate my taste buds , especially in the wagon ,