Mini Pocket Sharps Bin question

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It looks to me as if they're not designed to be reusable as they permanently lock for disposal once they're filled.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
wow @DaftThoughts
that looks pretty interesting , I have never seen this product before.
( so don't know if single use or re-useable. )

i have copied the info from the "contact us" page below
there is an email a question link on that page as well
perhaps email , phone , or snail mail them ??

CONTACT US
You can contact our Customer Support team by e-mail: Email Us.

If you prefer, kindly telephone us on +44 (0)1437 741700 and we will be pleased to help you with your enquiry. Our business working hours are from 0900 hrs to 1700 hrs Monday to Friday.

Alternatively, please write to us at:

FRIO UK Ltd
Whiteleys
Little Treffgarne
Haverfordwest
SA62 5DY

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used a tic tac box for the test strips and lancets day time and put into sharps in the evening. But had small tub for needles for insulin pen that emptied into sharps

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use an empty test strip container then when I get home I put them in an empty plastic water bottle and when that's full put it in the bin.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @DaftThoughts

I haven’t used the Frio product, but it looks good. However, I once bought some small sharps bins for use at work/travelling, but the problem was that my chemist refused to accept them for safe disposal, only the (large) bins they supplied on prescription.

I just use a small Tupperware-type tub I tip the contents into my sharps bin when full.

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Here In France I asked at the pharmacie what to do with them they don't have a system just bin them.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
All sharps bins should be collected by your local council. They should not go to landfill. I printed off a form from my council's website, took it to my DN and she signed it. I now get my sharps bins collected free of charge. It seems a bit daft that they can't be handed in at the pharmacy or surgery as it must cost a lot more to do individual collections!

big_red_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi , the wife being a retired nurse , said the yellow sharps bin once full should close and click shut, locked, it should have a label on saying where to dispose who closed it etc. but if the chemist wont dispose of it ask the docs if they can get rid , if not try taking it to a local hospital, and they should be given on prescription as all types of needles , anything that has been in touch with bodily fluids are contaminated , should be disposed of safely clinically

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've had my eye on these for a while:

https://friouk.com/product/mini-pocket-sharps-bin/

I can't tell if they're reusable (so you empty them into your large sharps bin) or if they're single use and should be disposed after you deposited the 25 needles into them. Does anyone else use these and can you help me? :)
Its saying lock before disposal, like big ones.
You could try one but don't put finger in it. It may shake them out but would that not contaminate your surroundings?
Buy one and see if you can reuse safely?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My gp takes my full ones. Ask your gp dn if she will take them ok for you, if you buy them.
Ps. Ask to see their smallest ones too, they may be just as good? Not sure.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
All sharps bins should be collected by your local council. They should not go to landfill. I printed off a form from my council's website, took it to my DN and she signed it. I now get my sharps bins collected free of charge. It seems a bit daft that they can't be handed in at the pharmacy or surgery as it must cost a lot more to do individual collections!
In southeast england it was council pick up but I was using a health centre. Northeast england is take to my gp practice but only a small practise not a health centre.
Ask if unsure.

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Just to clarify, I wasn't asking on how to dispose of my needles. I have the large bins that my pharmacy takes without any issues. I'm also not in the UK so the links to UK specific procedures aren't helpful, sorry.

I was just curious if I were to buy these mini bins, whether I'd have to stock up on several because you dispose of them as a whole or if they're reusable. It looks like they're disposable only, which isn't an issue as the whole container would fit in the large bin as it is. It wouldn't be financially smart for me though, so I'm going to use some alternatives mentioned in the thread. :)

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I like them for holiday suitcase but only national holiday thou as they like to see sharps bin on scanners once declared.

I think they are a little bit expensive for disposable too.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Here In France I asked at the pharmacie what to do with them they don't have a system just bin them.
Ask at your dechetterie .Small communal ones may not take them but they should be able to tell you which dechetterie to take them to.(mine is in the local town )They won't take them in a water bottle (as mentioned in your previous post.I know because we are moving and rediscovered a couple of years worth of boxes in the cellar. They came from a decade ago during a period when the disposal methods changed and local facilities hadn't caught up with the law.No problem with the dozen + sharps boxes but there was one water bottle and they wouldn't take it . I transferred the contents to a sharps box)
I'm quite surprised that a pharmacie told you this.Some of the sharps boxes have extracts from the law printed on them which makes it quite clear that they should not be disposed of in the domestic waste.

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Google 'B&D Safe Clip', I had my doctor add this to my repeat list a good while ago,.

71XSA8BvNCL._SL1500_.jpg

SuzanneD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Just to clarify, I wasn't asking on how to dispose of my needles. I have the large bins that my pharmacy takes without any issues. I'm also not in the UK so the links to UK specific procedures aren't helpful, sorry.

I was just curious if I were to buy these mini bins, whether I'd have to stock up on several because you dispose of them as a whole or if they're reusable. It looks like they're disposable only, which isn't an issue as the whole container would fit in the large bin as it is. It wouldn't be financially smart for me though, so I'm going to use some alternatives mentioned in the thread. :)
Hi, You are right in that they are not reusable as such as I bought one and was disappointed both from a cost perspective and a sustainable perspective so I emailed the company and they said "Whilst the sharps bin are not designed to be reused you can “shake” the used needles in to a larger sharps bin, it can take a bit longer but you can reuse them" which i tried and that didn't work!