Confused about carbs

Angela936

I was diagnosed type 2 last november i think , my hba1c was 50mmol, had my annual review and it was 100mmol so ive just started taking metformin, ive started a low carb diet which i find really difficult as i'm a vegan who doesn't like veg and mainly subsists on carbs, but i was just on the NHS site and it said " increase your consumption of high-fibre foods, such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and lentils " I'm totally confused now as i've stopped All bread products, cut most potatoes out as well, so is it low carb or high carb and low fat ?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try getting yourself a blood glocuse meter, and taking your readings before each meal and 2hr after you started to eat the meal, also note down what you had for the meal. You will soon see the food you need to advoid.

@daisy1 will soon come along with a useful information post for you, that includes where you can get a meter etc.

As to food, olives and avocado would be part of every meal if I was vegan, I would also be advoiding all bread and cereals. Most nuts are good but peenut are not a true nut and have higher carbs.

Most people find that the side effects of metformin stops after the first week or two provided they build up the does slowly and takes it with meals. So don't be put of metformin by the few people who don't get on with it.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to get your blood sugars down it's definitely low carb and and much healthy fat as you need to stop you feeling hungry. I'll tag @daisy1 to give you the new member welcome advice, which should help.
Sally

Angela936

Try getting yourself a blood glocuse meter, and taking your readings before each meal and 2hr after you started to eat the meal, also note down what you had for the meal. You will soon see the food you need to advoid.

@daisy1 will soon come along with a useful information post for you, that includes where you can get a meter etc.

As to food, olives and avocado would be part of every meal if I was vegan, I would also be advoiding all bread and cereals. Most nuts are good but peenut are not a true nut and have higher carbs.

Most people find that the side effects of metformin stops after the first week or two provided they build up the does slowly and takes it with meals. So don't be put of metformin by the few people who don't get on with it.
Thank you ringi, luckily i do like olives and avocado but i'll have to cut back on the peanut butter then, aye the diabetic nurse never mentioned me checking my blood myself she just said she would recheck it in three months, only on day 5 of the metformin and so far not too bad hopefully it stays like that :)

Angela936

If you want to get your blood sugars down it's definitely low carb and and much healthy fat as you need to stop you feeling hungry. I'll tag @daisy1 to give you the new member welcome advice, which should help.
Sally
thank you sally and james, if i had been a healthier vegan i might not be in this situation ! but i will stick with the low carb ( really miss my bread ) but it has to be done :)

Hotpepper20000

thank you sally and james, if i had been a healthier vegan i might not be in this situation ! but i will stick with the low carb ( really miss my bread ) but it has to be done :)

If you need to cut down on peanut butter there are other butters. Almond and hazelnut are good as well.

Reactions: Angela936

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The NHS does not think it is worth while people with Type2 checking their own BG level (unless they are on some high risk drugs), as most people just write the results in their recored book without taking action. Most of us on this forum see personaly BG testing as a tool to learn what foods our body can cope with.

These days I only test when I am having a meal that I don't eat often, as I have learned what I can safely eat without increasing my BG by more then 2 mmol/l. When testing you are look at the effect of the last meal you had (hence test before and after the meal) not the absolute level of BG.

fati2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hate arguments
Do intermittent fasting, have your evening meal, in the morning have Luke warm water with a squeeze of lemon and sip water through out the day, then at lunch time have something light may be a Lidl protein roll with salaad. Snack on salaad, small amount of almonds. Water helps to fight hunger, it gets easier . Evening meal I do a variety of veg cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, beans in butter in a pan have that with some home made yogurt chutney . ( made with green chillies, coriander, garlic, grind together then add yougrt.) if you have extra I put in cubed tray and freeze for next time

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Angela936

Hello Angela and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it interesting and useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 259,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: Angela936

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that I can eat the Lidl protein rolls - dark triangular things, 29 p each or sometimes there is an offer of 4 for one pound. They are about 10 gm of carbs each, freeze well - though it is best to slice them first then put them crust to crust in the bag.
I can definitely say that the advice for diabetics - and the world in general - is far too many sugary and high starch foods on a daily basis.
A meter will be a good thing to start off with, as people have different tolerances, and another thing I find useful is a Bamix mixer with accessories - I can use it to prepare foods - make a gravy by pulverizing a portion of the vegetables, make a coarse chop a fine flour or a nut butter as needed - very handy things.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I was diagnosed type 2 last november I think, my hba1c was 50mmol, had my annual review and it was 100mmol so ive just started taking metformin, ive started a low carb diet which I find really difficult as I'm a vegan who doesn't like veg and mainly subsists on carbs, but I was just on the NHS site and it said " increase your consumption of high-fibre foods, such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and lentils " I'm totally confused now as I've stopped All bread products, cut most potatoes out as well, so is it low carb or high carb and low fat ?

I was diagnosed six weeks ago with HbA1c of 53. Since then I've lot 9 lbs, I exercise every day and I have cut out all the bad carbs and limited the good ones in my diet. It's far too early to say whether my BG is going the right way, but do I ever feel better than I did before. I have had asthma all my life and have just halved my steroid inhaler dose for the first time in 15 years. My erratic heartbeat seems to have stabilised and I am now reducing my Bisoprolol dose to 1.25gms with the consent of my GP. I have just got a blood meter and my readings don't look too bad, so I'm feeling very hopeful. Even if my HbA1c result is higher in three months, I'm not going back to my old lifestyle. Stick with it. that's what I say.

big_red_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you ringi, luckily i do like olives and avocado but i'll have to cut back on the peanut butter then, aye the diabetic nurse never mentioned me checking my blood myself she just said she would recheck it in three months, only on day 5 of the metformin and so far not too bad hopefully it stays like that :)

big_red_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i had similar problems but the advise was eat fruit , i love nuts and as i lost my teeth i cant eat them i just suck them ,but the fruit they said eat was grapes peaches apple , so as i love grapes the wife bought a big bag as well as fresh peaches (I am like a baby I have to have soft stuff cos of the teeth , my false ones make me look like MR ED the horse and wont stay in)but as soon as i ate some i started to rain sweat ,tried a few times and in the end told the diabetic nurse she immediately gave me a monitor and since then have noticed what I can and cant eat its a great help. Got it on prescription and also get stabbers (as i call them and test strips on script ) get one they brill at least then you will know what you can and cant eat.

Mark_1

Have a look at the amount of carbs per 100g. A good quality one won’t be that high and then look at how much your going to eat. The one I have at the moment is 7.4g. I eat it all the time along with Livlife bread toasted(from Waitrose). The bread is 3.4g per slice, 2 slices along with 50g of peanut butter which is 2 big spoonfuls, is less than 10g of carbs. This easily fits into a low carb diet. I also use the other nut butters they each have a slightly different taste.
Some 85% chocolate also goes well with it as a treat.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Angela936 I think @Lamont D and @AloeSvea are vegan and low carb - have tagged them both so they may pop along - sorry guys if my recollection as to your veganism is wrong.

:)

Hiya Snapsy, I am sooooooo not vegan I don't know how to impress upon you enough how un-vegan I am :). I describe myself as a carnivore. I practice carnivorous LCHF. I have even experimented with a dead-critters and dairy only diet. I have only flirted with the idea of going non-dead-critter diet, but quickly discounted the idea. I respect vegetarians and vegans for their ethical reasons and commitment, but not on nutritional grounds. My daughter eats vegetarian LCHF, moderate carbs, as a non-diabetic, so I talk about her food choices and experiences sometimes. Yes, I respect her hugely for her commitment to not eating animals. She is so grown up now she buys her own B12 supplement.:happy:.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya Snapsy, I am sooooooo not vegan I don't know how to impress upon you enough how un-vegan I am :). I describe myself as a carnivore. I practice carnivorous LCHF. I have even experimented with a dead-critters and dairy only diet. I have only flirted with the idea of going non-dead-critter diet, but quickly discounted the idea. I respect vegetarians and vegans for their ethical reasons and commitment, but not on nutritional grounds. My daughter eats vegetarian LCHF, moderate carbs, as a non-diabetic, so I talk about her food choices and experiences sometimes. Yes, I respect her hugely for her commitment to not eating animals. She is so grown up now she buys her own B12 supplement.:happy:.
I'm so sorry! I had subsequently realised that the two I had been meaning to tag were in fact AvocadoSevenfold and Enclave! Call it pre-Christmas brain freeze........

xxx

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

There are low carb bread alternatives made with almond flour and psyllium husk.

Please see the recipes section also the diet doctor website!