Fiasp in pregnancy

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ladies,

Just wondering whether anyone is using this during pregnancy? I’ve been on it now for quite a while and found that, even before I fell pregnant, it seems to have lost its effect. I’ve been pre-bolusing for a while now but it just doesn’t seem to cut it with pregnancy either, for me anyway. I rise after my meal and then stay up there and have to correct. Now this may be due to pregnancy hormones but I’m considering going back to apidra/novorapid as they do seem to last longer although I know the prebolus will have to be much longer probably. Just wondered if anyone had any experience of this... thanks :)

saruhbeau

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use humalog so no experience of fiasp. But I definitely experienced similar problems in early pregnancy and now I am further along my insulin requirements have also increased massively which is normal. I would be inclined to think it' mainly down to pregnancy.

I would probably do basal and bolus testing and increase your basal and ratios if needed before switching insulin. Do you use a pump?

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @saruhbeau thanks for your reply :) I think you’re probably right and it’s a hormone issue more than anything. I might switch back to apidra and see what happens to rule it out just because fiasp seems to hold me steady for up to an hour after eating and then I start to rise and quite quickly. I need to basal test in the evening for sure as I think there is something going on there but I’m so hungry at the minute and low carbing as best I can that I haven’t been able to manage it yet :arghh: luckily I have a dexcom so I can watch and act on it pretty quickly. I definitely remember my issue being low sugars at this point in my first pregnancy but I guess every pregnancy is different! I read another post about your HG, sorry to hear that you’re having a hard time with it, pregnancy with diabetes is hard enough! I hope it starts to settle for you soon xx

Reactions: saruhbeau