overeating

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi.

I've been in ketosis for almost 3 weeks, but am not fat adapting. I am very overweight, and have not lost any weight in these 3weeks. This is because I am eating a lot of fat.

Although I haven't come out of ketosis at all, will my body ever fat adapt if I am eating too much fat? Surely if it gets all the calories it needs from my food, even if it is fatty food, it will never learn to eat my body fat? Am I right in thinking this? Thanks

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It worries me that and firgive me if i am wrong keeping yourself in this condition in orfer to lose weight, if this is so it is so dangerious, speaking as a nurse you run the risk of a cardiac arrest (and i have whitnessed and broke the news that a 23 year old didnt make it due to this) by trying to lose wroght this way you upset the balance of your body in simple terms you release ketones which effectively posion your body upsetting thr balance of sodium and most importantly potassium which you need to regulate your heart.. too much or too little causes arrytbmias and can cause yoir heart to stop sorry for the lecture i just worry haha

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.

I've been in ketosis for almost 3 weeks, but am not fat adapting. I am very overweight, and have not lost any weight in these 3weeks. This is because I am eating a lot of fat.

Although I haven't come out of ketosis at all, will my body ever fat adapt if I am eating too much fat? Surely if it gets all the calories it needs from my food, even if it is fatty food, it will never learn to eat my body fat? Am I right in thinking this? Thanks

Benjo - We're all different, which of course is extremely unhelpful to you.

To maintain, I eat a lot. I'm only a little, skinny person, but eat more than my OH. If I eat less, I lose, when I have no spare poundage to go. It just seems to be how it is these days.

Why not try just trimming back a bit and see what happens. I don't mean big changes, just a bit less of the high calorie stuff. That might help clarify of you're one of the folks for whom (limiting to an extent) calories are important.

Reactions: benjo123456

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It worries me that and firgive me if i am wrong keeping yourself in this condition in orfer to lose weight, if this is so it is so dangerious, speaking as a nurse you run the risk of a cardiac arrest (and i have whitnessed and broke the news that a 23 year old didnt make it due to this) by trying to lose wroght this way you upset the balance of your body in simple terms you release ketones which effectively posion your body upsetting thr balance of sodium and most importantly potassium which you need to regulate your heart.. too much or too little causes arrytbmias and can cause yoir heart to stop sorry for the lecture i just worry haha

Soapybubs - Was your 23yr old patient diabetic, or needing to trim up?

Nutritional ketosis, where blood sugar levels not elevated is generally not of great medical concern, as opposed to ketoacidosis which is incredibly dangerous and should be treated as a medical emergency.

Reactions: Soapybubs87

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Losing weight isn't my immediate goal, (although it is definitely a goal.) My immediate goal is to fat adapt. My theory, (hopefully!) Is that I can then reduce the fat I eat once my body is fat adapted, but I'm not sure that I ever will fat adapt whilst eating so many calories.

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think if you are very over weight then you should try and get your weight down. Have you had an HbA1c test to understand how well controlled your blood sugars are? And give an indication as to whether you are carbohydrate intolerant?

For a lot of over weight people, drastically cutting down on carbs and eating 2/3 smallish meals a day with no snacks will improve your weight. And health. But as previously pointed out, everyone is different! So I would recommend trying to figure out what is the underlying cause of your excess weight.

Oh and I thought I knew a lot about diabetes, low carb eating and how our body works but not sure I know what fat adapting is!

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Losing weight isn't my immediate goal, (although it is definitely a goal.) My immediate goal is to fat adapt. My theory, (hopefully!) Is that I can then reduce the fat I eat once my body is fat adapted, but I'm not sure that I ever will fat adapt whilst eating so many calories.
He was overweight and was using high bg in order to eat up his fat reserves, sorry hope i didnt offend you i was unsure of what fat adapt was as ive not heard of that before

Reactions: LueezBee

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Soapybubs - Was your 23yr old patient diabetic, or needing to trim up?

Nutritional ketosis, where blood sugar levels not elevated is generally not of great medical concern, as opposed to ketoacidosis which is incredibly dangerous and should be treated as a medical emergency.
Oh thank you, i hadnt heard of the fat adapt, thanks once again, learn something new each day

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I probably should have posted this in the Keto forum. I didn't realise there was one until I saw the link on top of this page. Thanks for your replies.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No offence, but I've been in ketosis for about four years and I'm really healthy and all my vital signs and blood tests are in normal levels. My last series of bloods done was in October. My endocrinologist is reasonably happy that I am in ketosis and producing ketones to fuel my energy.

I do believe that you are referring to ketoacidosis @Soapybubs87.

It is all about control and finding the balance that will help you with your blood glucose fluctuations and your carbs, fats and proteins. Portion size and is extremely important in all matters of dietary control.

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No offence, but I've been in ketosis for about four years and I'm really healthy and all my vital signs and blood tests are in normal levels. My last series of bloods done was in October. My endocrinologist is reasonably happy that I am in ketosis and producing ketones to fuel my energy.

I do believe that you are referring to ketoacidosis @Soapybubs87.

It is all about control and finding the balance that will help you with your blood glucose fluctuations and your carbs, fats and proteins. Portion size and is extremely important in all matters of dietary control.
Yeah i realise that now, i hadnt heard of the other and cant delete my post so i have to deal with the fact i look a twonk now

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yeah i realise that now, i hadnt heard of the other and cant delete my post so i have to deal with the fact i look a twonk now
Join the club!
This stuff is so complex and the names that crop up can be something that you will never imagine learning about.
When my endocrinologist told me I was having hypos or being diagnosed with RH, or even learning about ketosis and how I had to achieve it!
I was even more of a 'twonk'!
I had no idea or what was going on!
I learned everything on this forum and got my endocrinologist on board by having discussions to what would work and of course my intolerance was doing to me.
He was learning as well!

What is a twonk?
Never heard of that!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I probably should have posted this in the Keto forum. I didn't realise there was one until I saw the link on top of this page. Thanks for your replies.

Your thread can be moved, if you'd like it to be. You can't do that yourself, but if you tag me or any of the Mods, we can move it for you, if you confirm where you'd like it to go.

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your thread can be moved, if you'd like it to be. You can't do that yourself, but if you tag me or any of the Mods, we can move it for you, if you confirm where you'd like it to go.
It's fine, thanks anyway.

Reactions: DCUKMod

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi.

You may very well be fat-adapted, if that's how you describe burning fat for fuel rather than glucose. But if you eat more fat than you can use in energy, the rest will be stored as ... fat! So, completely counter-productive. The only thing you need to do to see the effects are to reduce your food consumption until you are eating less fuel than your body needs, then it will start burning the stored fat (ie you will lose weight).

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What makes you beleive you're not already fat adapted?? If you've stopped eating a carb heavy diet for a few weeks, and can manage without any need for carby snacks between meals, have enough energy to keep you going, and have possibly passed through a bout of low carb/Atkins/keto flu then your body will probably have made the necessary chemical changes and switched (back) to being a fat adapted multi fuel burning "machine" . Fat burning is actually our natural mode, but because carbs are the easiest fuel to process (in order: carbs, dietary fat, then stored body fat), our bodies can be readily persuaded to use them preferentially, but reducing carb intake enough for a few weeks at most should switch your body (back!) into fat adapted multi fuel burning mode.

If you're eating enough fat and/or carbs to cover your energy requirements, then your body (even when fat adapated) won't ever need to access its stored fat supplies, so in general to lose weight you have to eat less fuel than you actually need so that your body automatically turns to your stored supplies.

Robbity

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What makes you beleive you're not already fat adapted?? If you've stopped eating a carb heavy diet for a few weeks, and can manage without any need for carby snacks between meals, have enough energy to keep you going, and have possibly passed through a bout of low carb/Atkins/keto flu then your body will probably have made the necessary chemical changes and switched (back) to being a fat adapted multi fuel burning "machine" . Fat burning is actually our natural mode, but because carbs are the easiest fuel to process (in order: carbs, dietary fat, then stored body fat), our bodies can be readily persuaded to use them preferentially, but reducing carb intake enough for a few weeks at most should switch your body (back!) into fat adapted multi fuel burning mode.

If you're eating enough fat and/or carbs to cover your energy requirements, then your body (even when fat adapated) won't ever need to access its stored fat supplies, so in general to lose weight you have to eat less fuel than you actually need so that your body automatically turns to your stored supplies.

Robbity
The reason I don't think that I'm fat adapted is because I still have no energy and need the food to give me energy. Even though I'm big, I've always done a lot of exercise, but now I struggle to walk up the stairs without getting out of breath.

I keep up with electrolytes, so it's not that, I think my body is just not adapted yet. That said, my ketone sticks seem to be getting lighter, which may be a sign that I'm starting to use the ketones instead of excrete them.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Benjo, could you give us an outline of your height, weight, age, and what you eat in a day?