1st week a diabetic

Lyndsay444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all,
I was given a HBa1c test last Monday with a result of 95 after many weeks of crazy fatigue, constant urination and the worst un quenchable thirst ever. All I thought about was what can I drink next.
I’m lucky my GP was diabetic friendly and gave me a BG monitor and all I need to self check that day as I’ve to test x4 daily for few weeks.
I started on Monday this week Gliclazade 80mg daily and Metformin 500mg daily increasing weekly until on 2000mg on week 4. If I can stomach that dose that is.
My BG is averaging in 20s after a low carb meal.

My question is how the hell do I live my live like that I’m a 40 something Mum of 2 on a vegetarian diet, I already have an auto immune condition and one important medication is in a sugar suspension.
So even if I get my BG level down my medication every day will send it soaring?
Help needed!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I brought my AC1 down from over 100 to the low 50s within two months by copying what people do on this site, and it was not that hard. (My BG was 33 on the first test, it is now mostly under 6.) This is one of the first videos I watched before finding this site and it greatly helped me

Firstly test before a meal and 2hr after you have eaten the meal, then ignore the numbers and just look at the change. A reading of 20 before a meal and 22 after the mail shows you have chosen the meal well, but a reading of 4 before the mail and 7 after the mail, shows it was a bad choice of mail. You are aiming for no meal to increase your BG by more than 2.

These two links give some meal ideals

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/low-carb-vegetarian-meals/
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/vegetarian

Eggs are your best friend along with olives, avocado and most nuts, but peanuts are not true nuts and do put BG up.

@daisy1 will soon belong to explain about carbs to you.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Lyndsay444

Hello Lyndsay and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope it will be interesting and useful to you. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 259,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Lyndsay444
My HbA1c was also 95 at diagnosis and fasting was 18. It did take several weeks to reduce so try not to panic. My concern would be that it is possible that you are type 1. At least you have a meter so you can see what your bloods are doing. If they go really high then you will need to contact your GP but hopefully the meds and some diet change will help. There is a vegetarian section on this site which might give you a few ideas.

Lyndsay444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you Hiitsme your not the only one that thinks I may be a late onset type 1
As my weight is ideal so no need for weight loss and my cholesterol is great as well.
It’s all rather strange that I’ve developed this now when my lifestyle and diet is quite good.
Time will tell!
I assume there’s a way of knowing if it’s type 1 or 2 is there?
Or do the Doctors just look at my age and just decide it must be type2?

Lyndsay444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I live in the north west part of England and I think it’s fab that people from all corners of the world can chat about diabetes and share advice and information here!

Reactions: AdeleTurner72_

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Lyndsay444 sending a hug in light of your recent diagnosis.

Tagging @catapillar for advice on the tests for type 1 - it's just that levels in the 20s after low carb meals would make me wonder whether your type 2 diagnosis is the appropriate one.

It's great that you're testing - keep it up, and record everything - test results, what you ate - so that in time you will recognise a pattern.

:)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Lyndsay444 what were your blood sugars on diagnosis? What were your ketones on diagnosis? How were you diagnosed? Had you experienced untried for weight loss pre diagnosis?

If blood sugars were over 30, if you had ketones, if you had dramatic untried for weight loss those are things that suggests a reason to investigate type 1.

If you have one autoimmune disease, you are more at risk of other autoimmune diseases. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease.

If you think type 1 should be investigated you should ask for a cpeptide test to see how much insulin you are producing and a GAD test to see if you have the antibodies associated with autoimmune type 1 diabetes.

Reactions: Snapsy and Prem51

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
HI @Lyndsay444 whatever version of diabetes you have, good to excellent control is possible. You may have seen the Vegetarian forum on the site http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/
In your shoes I would ask for urgent Type 1 tests GAD and c-peptide, so you know what you are dealing with. I would remove sugar if you use it or equivalents and make alternative choices to bread, rice, potatoes and pasta; if you need interim equivalents, Lidl high protein rolls, cauliflour rice and Explore Cuisine pasta.

Jo123

Hi Lyndsay, welcome to the forum!
With regard to your medicine can you give the pharmacist a call and see if you can get the medicine in a different form without the sugar suspension.
Also with regard to your low carb meals what exactly are you eating? I don't like eating much meat and it is very easy to eat a lot of carbs without eating the obvious ones.
I was pre diabetic, fortunately I caught it very quickly but in the early days even a few carbs sent my bg high. It did cross my mind that I may have been type 1 as I had a normal bmi and ran, however I obviously wasn't as I have had normal hba1c's for 8 years now. But you might be, but fortunately you can monitor as others have said.

Reactions: Prem51

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
With regard to your medicine can you give the pharmacist a call and see if you can get the medicine in a different form without the sugar suspension.
I second this.
I also question the Type 2 diagnosis. Some less up to date doctors automatically assume you're Type 2 if you're over 30 at diagnosis, this just isn't the case.

Reactions: AdeleTurner72_

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In your shoes I would ask for urgent Type 1 tests GAD and c-peptide,
I don't think it is actually that easy we can't demand to have tests done .Doctors will usually only do tests they think are necessary

Lyndsay444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello I’m now 2 month in to this diabetes and I’m so fed up.
I’m 64 kg and a healthy vegetarian 47 year old woman on a low carb diet most days approx 30g carb daily and still my blood glucose is sky high. Last week before bed my reading was off the monitor scale so above 33.3mmol I’m in late teens and 20s most days even with Metformin 2000mg and now increased gliclazide to 240mg daily I’m exhausted and just feel lousy all the time. Nurse at GP surgery said it will come down it’s a slow process. Some people have said I may be late onset type 1 but nurse refuses to consider anything other than type 2.
There’s no history of diabetes within my family just me.
It’s driving me crazy I’m a single mum with 2 kids and each day is now a struggle.
Please help.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think it is actually that easy we can't demand to have tests done .Doctors will usually only do tests they think are necessary
Yes, but Lindsay can nag (nicely) and argue, citing all the reasons why she thinks she may well be T1 or 1.5/LADA. I wanted my GP to prescribe Metformin for me, and the first time I asked she refused point-blank, because she considered my A1c was not high enough. The second time I had rehearsed my arguments and also brought printouts of Nice guidelines, research studies and an article to support me, and to my amazement, in the end I got my prescription. It was hard work and stressful, but worth it! Lindsay's GP probably doesn't know much about diabetes. She may never have heard of LADA. It is up to Lindsay to inform herself so that she can gently educate and guide her. And if she can plant in her mind the fear that a neglected T1 may come to harm and she would be responsible .... all the better!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Thank you Hiitsme your not the only one that thinks I may be a late onset type 1
As my weight is ideal so no need for weight loss and my cholesterol is great as well.
It’s all rather strange that I’ve developed this now when my lifestyle and diet is quite good.
Time will tell!
I assume there’s a way of knowing if it’s type 1 or 2 is there?
Or do the Doctors just look at my age and just decide it must be type2?
Hi and welcome. There are 2 tests the doctors can have done. GAD and c-peptide but from my visit to the doctor's today, it seems like they're now only using Hb1Ac. I think this is dreadful and when I see the consultant in March I'm pushing for these. I want to know definitively what type I am and only have to take insulin if and when needed and not as a just in case or a more simplistic option. On other threads, I've mentioned my weight increase which I put down to the insulin, I've not changed my LCHF diet and increased 7k in 6 months. Nuff said

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have a way to test for ketones? High blood sugar + ketones = A+E.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
For type twos a low carb diet is a powerful tool to lower their blood glucose. For other types it is useless without insulin.
No amount of oral medication will help if you are not type two - and a couple of months of low carb should have dropped your bg levels significantly.
If you can't get help from you nurse than contacting your doctor might be a wise move - maybe phone the surgery every time you get a high reading and ask for advice. Be sure to make a note of how many times you have contacted them. It certainly seems as though you are being ignored when your levels should be ringing alarm bells, time to make more of a fuss I think.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you don’t get anywhere with your GP surgery, maybe contact the diabetes clinic at your local hospital,and ask them for advice on how to bring your sugars down?