Type 2 What makes a good substitute for crackers for cheese... I crave the crunch

chevy57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone found carb free crackers or something that is suitable to use instead?? I love cheese and want to have it at Christmas , but can't find a something to do with it!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There is a recipe on Dietdoctor I beleive but I havn't tried it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Oops, all three of us typing at the same time with the same idea!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I second the elana’s pantry recipe that Kristin251 posted, I use mixed herbs and rosemary!

Reactions: Kristin251

chevy57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your replies, I will try them, they look great

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not crackers, but if you make very thin slices of hard cheese, lay them out on baking paper or whaddyacallit in English, possibly spice them with paprika, black pepper, chilli flakes, curry, garlic or whatever you fancy and zap them for 1,5 to 2 minutes, you'll have wonderful cheese crisps! Make sure you make enough, as everyone will steal your crisps. They should be completely crispy. If not, zap them a bit longer.

chevy57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's a great idea Antje, thank you, is that zapping in the oven or microwave???

Reactions: Antje77

chevy57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just cooked the herb crackers and they are great, will make the Christmas cheese board so much better. These little successes make being a diabetic a little more manageable. Thanks again to those who replied, the people on this site seem to know so much more than me so I look forward to asking more questions in the future. Happy and healthy Christmas to all x

Reactions: lindijanice

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ryvita or Nairns cheese oatcakes if you do not want to bake I love them with cheese and I can't resist a blob of Piccalilli . I do not bake because I do not like the taste of the almond flour

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just cooked the herb crackers and they are great, will make the Christmas cheese board so much better. These little successes make being a diabetic a little more manageable. Thanks again to those who replied, the people on this site seem to know so much more than me so I look forward to asking more questions in the future. Happy and healthy Christmas to all x
Glad you liked them! They’re very versatile too. I like sage with lemon zest but not sure that would be great with cheese.
The only problem with them is they are gone in a blink!

You can also make them into a log or block for thicker slices. I prefer the cracker. Still not decided of I like the brown edges better or the softer middle lol

chevy57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ryvita or Nairns cheese oatcakes if you do not want to bake I love them with cheese and I can't resist a blob of Piccalilli . I do not bake because I do not like the taste of the almond flour

They sound lovely, cheese and piccalilli is also a favourite of mine, or at least it was. I thought the shop bought crackers would be high in carbs and the piccalilli high in sugar, I will have to look at the labels . I would also prefer not to bake but if I have to I will. Do those crackers raise your BG ?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a great idea Antje, thank you, is that zapping in the oven or microwave???
Zap in microwave. In the oven works just as well, but I can't remember how long they needed. Just try!

chevy57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried baked apple thins. Thinly slice an apple and bake in oven to reduce some of the moisture. Comes out like a crisps. Great with cheese. I have also tried sprinkling apple with oats and then baking.

That apple idea sounds lovely, will definitely bring trying that
Thank you Sparrow

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I like the Morrisons high protein loaf. Toasted twice and cut into 4 makes it crunchy like Melba toast. 2 grams per piece, 8 grams carbs per slice.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I second celery, with a good blue cheese like Roquefort or crozier it's delicious.

Reactions: Vhm1

Vhm1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you tried baking the cheese as crackers? There are all sorts of recipes to do this on line. It is really easy and works quite well. Whether it is sliced or shredded cheese, it works. Just an idea. Good luck.