No more Metformin for me....

Pinkcoat1965

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been given Metformin for my type 2 diabetes since 2008. From the start I felt sick, bouts of the runs and no energy. Constantly tired and anemic. I couldn't tolerate the ferrous sulphite, it went straight through me. Gave me stomach pains and guts ache. I constantly complained to my doctor and diabetic nurse about this. They just shrugged and said I would get used to it. This month I was tired of cooking a meal, feeling sick and not enjoying my food. Went to my doctor and told her I wanted to come off Metformin. She understood and said lots of people can't tolerate Metformin. I am now taking 60mg of Gliclazide at breakfast and 100mg Sitagliptin. I am having to glucose test 4 times a day and seeing my doctor every two weeks. I have more energy, don't feel sick and enjoy food better. I know it's early days yet but I'm glad I went to my doctor. Suffered needlessly all these years. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: DiabetesDestroyer

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do wonder if Metformin is such a bad drug because i heard it also given to type 1 to reduce insulin usage.But from what i read Metformin have more positive than negative. Anyway as long it work it a good enough for me and if the doctor said it ok to change drug i will folllow it.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do wonder if Metformin is such a bad drug because i heard it also given to type 1 to reduce insulin usage.But from what i read Metformin have more positive than negative. Anyway as long it work it a good enough for me and if the doctor said it ok to change drug i will folllow it.
You might like to read this: http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/yet-more-good-news-about-metformin.html
Jenny Ruhl is always enthusiastic about Metformin - you can see more positive articles by her on her site. Influenced by what she says, I would love to try Metformin, but my GP won't give it to me because I am not yet diabetic.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Most people find that the side effects of Metformin stop after a week or two and thereafter get on well with Metformin. For a few Metformin the side effects don't stop, but within days of them stopping taking Metformin, they recover.

Otherwise, Metformin has very low long-term risks and great benefits, therefore for anyone with insulin resistance, it is clearly the best drug to try first.

Reactions: Gabrielle_Tai

Lavkesh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
To me, Metformin is much safer drug than Gliclazide as Gliclazide tends to Hypoglycemia whereas Metformin has no such tendencies. If you are on Metformin please do not switch to other drugs without sufficient reason.

Reactions: Gabrielle_Tai

Caz_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Lavkesh....i have just been put on Gliclazide and my reading do seem to be dropping. Are you saying that you have to be careful with Gliclazide as your blood sugar can drop too low? X