Lidl's Low Gi rolls.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone tried these.
So much better and palatable than the protein rolls.

Caz_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No saw them on the shelf today though as i purchased 20 protein rolls. I quite like the protein rolls toasted....much nicer toasted x

Reactions: Prem51

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Has anyone tried these.
Oh good, it's not just me. I tried a protein roll, and came to the conclusion I'd rather eat cardboard. Felt a bit guilty since so many people are so enthusiastic about them here. I shall go looking for these the next time I shop. Although I am a little sceptical about what they base a claim of 'low gi' on since it's not exactly a standard measurement.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh good, it's not just me. I tried a protein roll, and came to the conclusion I'd rather eat cardboard. Felt a bit guilty since so many people are so enthusiastic about them here. I shall go looking for these the next time I shop. Although I am a little sceptical about what they base a claim of 'low gi' on since it's not exactly a standard measurement.
I know what you mean
The protein rolls can be hard work.
If someone said ,you have 5 mins left and you must eat a bread roll,it wouldn't be them.
Not to sure how low gi they are nor carbs,but I'm lucky brown bread don't affect me much.

Reactions: Gemma2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
High carb I'm afraid so do be careful.

Lidl 5302428 Low GI Roll
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 295kcal / 1240kJ
Fat 8.5g
Of which saturates 1.08g
Carbohydrate 44.9g
Of which sugars 4.2g
Fibre 8.4g
Protein 14.0g
Salt 0.78g

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Has anyone tried these.

Have you tried running your protein roll under the tap, then putting it in an oven at around 150 C for 10 minutes?

Changes it from cardboard and dust to something quite attractive.

Oh, and Low GI means an American serviceman of few morals (if any) steer clear if you value your health.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried running your protein roll under the tap, then putting it in an oven at around 150 C for 10 minutes?

Changes it from cardboard and dust to something quite attractive.

Oh, and Low GI means an American serviceman of few morals (if any) steer clear if you value your health.

I wanted to give you an informative and a funny. Could only do one, so chose funny!

A quick zap in the microwave also does the trick with the rolls, but I prefer them toasted.

Reactions: meandmaboy

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After 2 years of eating the high protein rolls I seem to have hit a wall, i've gone from loving them to enduring them to loathing them. Its recently taken me up to an hour to eat one. I'm having a week off and finding a substitute, hopefully i will rekindle my interest in them as they were a mainstay of my diet !

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After 2 years of eating the high protein rolls I seem to have hit a wall, i've gone from loving them to enduring them to loathing them. Its recently taken me up to an hour to eat one. I'm having a week off and finding a substitute, hopefully i will rekindle my interest in them as they were a mainstay of my diet !

I am devastated for you. :(

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I imagine this will be mentioned elsewhere, but just last night I discovered a new-to-me thing in Tesco. It's their own-brand "Tesco Finest High Protein Loaf".

One slice is about the same carbs as an entire Lidl high protein roll however. I bought one to try. Expensive but then probably not bad compared to the Lidl rolls. Haven't tried it yet, it's in the freezer.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep meaning to try some of the recipes I have collected for various breadlike things, crackers and so on. The ingredients can be difficult to find, but I think it could be worthwhile to experiment and try out various mail order sources to get back something similar if you are really missing a type of food.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2 years????? It took me about 6 weeks to complete the same journey!
I stick with hilo bread and josephs pittas / laavash bread if I fancy something bready

Last edited:

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back on the Lidl High Protein Rolls. Toasted or microwaved, it removes the plasticky texture.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

PCS1949

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Slice a Lidl Protein Roll horizontally with a large sharp knife to make four triangular "slices". Melt a knob of Lurpak garlic butter on a non-stick griddle (I use a Breville Panini Press which does both sides at once). Lay the slices on the melted butter for a minute or two until browning on the underside. Flip over, replenishing the garlic butter if necessary. Sprinkle some grated cheese on top and flip over again to melt the cheese into the bread (I use Tesco grated 4 cheese which has some mozzarella in it). Makes a cheesy garlic bread which I never tire of for lunch with soup. You can't beat it.

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just out of interest, I have been looking at fathead dough and am looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. Whilst browsing the web, I saw that someone had made rolls with it. I don't have a Lidl near to me, so I may have a go at some point. I am really missing cheese on toast.