My bro can't keep going like this. His body won't last.

KGrimm93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My younger brother has type 1 diabetes. Diagnosed at 13. Currently 23. It has been a battle to get him to take care of himself and this illness since day 1. He was diagnosed with gasdtroperisis within the last few years causing more severe complications. He is sick very regularly at least half the month. 2 days at a time, sometimes longer. I have researched and learned what I can over the years. I just need advice on how to help get a healthy routine as far as food, sleep, excercises. Any information will help. Thank You so so so so much.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The sickness may be due to constant high blood sugars which cause high ketones that result in vomiting and generally feeling dreadful.

He needs to make an urgent appointment with whoever monitors his diabetic health. If he can't get an appointment then he should see the GP for an urgent referral to the Endocrine Clinic or Complex Diabetes Clinic at the hospital. He could also check in to A&E and they will conduct all the relevant blood tests and possibly admit him for urgent treatment. The GP may even send him to A&E with an admittance letter.

Last edited:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear this, @KGrimm93 . It must be really hard.

I am fortunate to be what I consider to be well controlled these days, but I went completely off the rails when I moved abroad for a year aged 18, then at university I barely tested.

It's been a heck of a ride, but small changes add up and will really help. A routine of regular testing, carb-counted meals and calculations for insulin dosing, and yes, decent sleep, will all help. Has he done the DAFNE course? Does he have the sympathetic ear of a diabetes nurse?

I see a counsellor regularly and she has over the last few years really helped me with my approach to coping with my conditions and my medical and psychiatric history. She's really helped me.

I think it's great that you're wanting to help your brother. It might though be the case that he's not quite ready, given your use of the word 'battle'. Tread gently. I hope you can help him to help himself.

Hugs.

Love Snapsy xxx

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What level of support is the clinic able to offer.....?

Is the issue with your brothers willingness to make the effort?

Getting educated alongside other diabetics is a good idea, so exploring that option with the clinic should be a priority....

The food going in his mouth should take the lead in terms of importance......as this is what is responsible for the blood sugar.....once that stabilizes, better sleep and activity levels will follow.....

So cutting carbs down is a good way to help a bit in the absence of a steady BG testing routine in the first instance.....

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
My younger brother has type 1 diabetes. Diagnosed at 13. Currently 23. It has been a battle to get him to take care of himself and this illness since day 1. He was diagnosed with gasdtroperisis within the last few years causing more severe complications. He is sick very regularly at least half the month. 2 days at a time, sometimes longer. I have researched and learned what I can over the years. I just need advice on how to help get a healthy routine as far as food, sleep, excercises. Any information will help. Thank You so so so so much.

Hi @KGrimm93 Sorry to hear about your brother - can you get him to sign up here so that he's supported by other type 1's ? It may help him to acknowledge his condition if he can get some mental support from others who understand what it's like.

Sadly no one but him can control this, it's very much down to him to take ownership and realise that he's responsible for looking after this, no one wants complications but sometimes when we are reminded of them then it gives us the push to become more responsible. He does need support though to tackle the issues he is currently facing and to cope better mentally, so a forum would help him to at least feel as though he isn't alone, his team should be able to look at counselling, so I hope that something positive will happen soon for him.

Humma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed aged 13 in 1968 50 years soon and made it this far with no complications at all since 1975 ive weight trained at the moment i go to the gym twice a day 5 days a week age 63 and this has been a life saver.............................

leahkian

I am sorry to hear about your brother i am a diabetic and have a brother who is also a diabetic too. My brother got diabetes about 20 years after i got it so you would think he would have an idea of what diabetes is, ever since he got diabetes he still says he has not got it. He does not attend appointments, take his insulin regular and does not do any BS at all, he takes drugs, drinks and has been admitted to hospital several times a year. As soon as his BS are normal he signs himself out of hospital and the last time we knew he was in hospital way back last year the doctor told him that they were going to refuse to treat him as he was not looking after himself. We sat down with him and said if he gave the drugs up and cut down on the drink we would help him but he chose the other way, i no his kidneys are starting to fail and he watched what i went through when i had a pancreas and kidney transplant and thinks he will get the same. I told his mate to tell him there was no chance of him getting on the list as he does not look after himself, his diabetes is that bad that he cannot work full time but shows no sign of changing. That is the big thing the person themselves need to want to change no matter what we say or they are told they will only do as they please, it is hard when you try to help them and no that after a couple of weeks they are back to their old ways. You can try and talk to your brother and explain how worried that you are and see if that gives him the push he needs, i wish you all the look in the world as i no that my brother is never going to change.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I am sorry to hear about your brother i am a diabetic and have a brother who is also a diabetic too. My brother got diabetes about 20 years after i got it so you would think he would have an idea of what diabetes is, ever since he got diabetes he still says he has not got it. He does not attend appointments, take his insulin regular and does not do any BS at all, he takes drugs, drinks and has been admitted to hospital several times a year. As soon as his BS are normal he signs himself out of hospital and the last time we knew he was in hospital way back last year the doctor told him that they were going to refuse to treat him as he was not looking after himself. We sat down with him and said if he gave the drugs up and cut down on the drink we would help him but he chose the other way, i no his kidneys are starting to fail and he watched what i went through when i had a pancreas and kidney transplant and thinks he will get the same. I told his mate to tell him there was no chance of him getting on the list as he does not look after himself, his diabetes is that bad that he cannot work full time but shows no sign of changing. That is the big thing the person themselves need to want to change no matter what we say or they are told they will only do as they please, it is hard when you try to help them and no that after a couple of weeks they are back to their old ways. You can try and talk to your brother and explain how worried that you are and see if that gives him the push he needs, i wish you all the look in the world as i no that my brother is never going to change.
I just cried reading your post..........hugs my friend xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Reactions: dbr10