Type 1 Vitamin supplements

joshluck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone use vitamin supplements and if so which ones, I was told a while back to take some for the aches and growth like pains in my legs, not related to diabetes!

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i take a multi vit tablet plus calcium and vit d. i dont expect it to do much but it should just be enough to hold off any defect in my diet

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You should see a nutritionist because its hard to take them in the correct amoubts and combo s without expert advice. Patrick Holford has a good deficiency checker in Optimum Nutrition. Sorru I do not have a link. Start with Vit D, C and magnesium checks as these are commom. I also take Co Q10 (can be depleted in diabs and will be if you are on statins) .D3. Onega 3 and Cod Liver oil btw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You need to find out if you have any problems with your kidneys before you start taking vitamins, as some like A,C,D can make things worse

barry54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use magnesium, D3 and COD liver oil daily, had no problems but who’s to say if it does any good

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Agree with getting a full load of tests like b12, folate, d3, ferritin etc before taking supplements.

Then have a look at your own food intake...

We could say we take fish oil everyday but if you ate a t in of oily fish each day it would be overload for you.

Same for D3... this needs a test done. Some have low vit d3 and the standard is to say take during winter. However, for me it would have had huge problems.. mine is well above normal and I have to avoid vit d3.

For leg pain r-ala is recommended but again, you could be on statins or a drug we are unaware if that us actually causing the pain and R-ala would not work....

Look at your diet and the nutrition in it. I have broccoli everyday to help with my iron levels because they are low after cancer. I cannot take supplements of iron as it would crucify my intestines..

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
when I had awful leg pains/arm pain/general fatigue I had lots of tests done (and expected the usual diabetic diagnosis of lack of Vit B12) but was surprised to hear I had a Vit D deficiency which was causing, I believe some of these issues, I also started taking magnesium supplements which have definitely helped the restless leg sort of pains! Hope this helps, only way to know what will help you is getting a quick blood test x

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The best you can take is a multivitamin and blend a whole fresh lemon a thumb size piece of fresh ginger and a teaspoon of tumeric powder mixed with a juice 1......https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/turmeric-diabetes-10-ways-turmeric-can-elp/
3..... http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/lemon-peel-for-diabetes/

Disagree, turmeric needs a source of black pepper... and a multivitamin is no good if you are eating a good varied multi coloyred diet but are over/under in one vitamin/mineral.

Best to get tested for everything first and decide from there.

Humma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Disagree, turmeric needs a source of black pepper... and a multivitamin is no good if you are eating a good varied multi coloyred diet but are over/under in one vitamin/mineral.

Best to get tested for everything first and decide from there.
5 years i`ve been taking this blend daily and not even a cold 100% fit

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
5 years i`ve been taking this blend daily and not even a cold 100% fit

That may be fine for you, but we are all individual.

I totally agree with turmeric. I have had no flu jabs and absolutely no problems at all for two years, despite having a verry poorly immine system due to cancer treatment. I take a teaspoon a day in tea with black peppeer and 2 pomi-t tablets a day. Totally believe in turmeric but we are all individual. Me personally, if I took multi citamin I would be overloaded in A, C and E. I am. It the only one that would be like this. Essentially if we eat got natural food we shouldnt need a multi vitamin...

I just do not pesonally agree wiith suggesting mulitivitamins without having an analysis of your own bloods and looking at your own individuual vitamins/minerals from your own perspective... ie age... would a coQ10 be best advised, no fruit at all.. perhaps a C but whatt veg is ate???