Gliclazide.....

Caz_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well the Metformin may not make amy difference but Gluclazide definitely does. I am still avoiding carbs but i have never had such low bg readings. Is still too high first (12.6 today) thing but two hours after breakfast which today was a cheese and ham omlette was 6. Yestetday 7.3 and friday 5.5. I have had very high readings for weeks now despite hardly any carbs until GP put me on this Thursday. Am aware you need to be careful as this drug can cause hypos but has certainly done the trick. Will be able to have a little treat over xmas after all xx

Reactions: lovinglife

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well Gliclazide do increasing the release of insulin so it can cause hypo. I do recommend you test like 4 to 8 times a day since i know how serious a hypo can be. I still not sure type 2 hypo is as worst as type 1 so ignore my advice if it is wrong.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I was put on gliclazide 80mg when first diagnosed in December 2015 and had my one and only hypo in June last year. I know why it happened, it was a combination of lack of food associated with a long flight.
I adopted a LCHF diet about 12 months ago and after my last HbA1c test and review my GP said I was clearly 'diet controlled' and reduced my gliclazide by 50%. She did consider stopping it completely but decided to see how I do at my my test in January.
Going by my own testing results I think there's a good chance I'll be off medication early in the new year. Fingers are crossed!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well the Metformin may not make amy difference but Gluclazide definitely does. I am still avoiding carbs but i have never had such low bg readings. Is still too high first (12.6 today) thing but two hours after breakfast which today was a cheese and ham omlette was 6. Yestetday 7.3 and friday 5.5. I have had very high readings for weeks now despite hardly any carbs until GP put me on this Thursday. Am aware you need to be careful as this drug can cause hypos but has certainly done the trick. Will be able to have a little treat over xmas after all xx

If the tests you are doing are random, other than the pre breakfast test will be totally useless to understand what is going on.
It needs to be regimented, for instance, pre meal and two hours after first bite.
Also use a food diary, to record everything.
This way, you can look for patterns. And then you can decide if you want your doctor to reduce the glicizide.
All hypos are not good and testing correctly will minimise the threat.

Caz_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all....will see how it goes. I have been testing more lately due to such high readings. I am still a bit confused by it all....as was 22.6 when first diagnosed just over two years ago and got it down through diet alone. Then last couple of months real high and despite very little carbs was nearly as high as when diagnosed hence being prescribed the gluclazide. Still waiting for the test for LADA type 1.5 to come back as first blood test was an insufficient sample whatever that exactly means. X