Not coping

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is it something you wouldn’t admit to? It’s just a fungal infection like athletes foot and jock itch. Babies get it.

Well I sort of did admit to it. It seemed appropriate on this forum because we're all sharing our issues related to blood glucose.

But you're right, generally its not something I like to tell people, and a big part of that is because I am male and it's so often associated with women.

It's a bit like there being nothing wrong with a man having a pink handbag, regardless of how he identifies himself, but you just know people are going to look at him funny.

I don't have a pink handbag, by the way. I prefer autumnal colours, they go better with my clothes, especially at this time of year:)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Great post. I have to say, though...

I did that quite recently. The problem is, the bin was still accessible, and the stuff I threw out was still there in the morning - briefly! There's not a lot I won't go through for sweet stuff. I know someone who isn't diabetic but struggles with weight, when she feels she's gone out of control she pours washing up liquid on any remaining stuff she has then bins it.

There must be a name for this sort of behaviour, a bit like bulimia. Binimia or something?
Its called uncontrolled diabetes. We have all had it at some stage in our life. Some worse symptoms that others.

Great point about needing to damage food with huge amounts of strong pepper or the likes if still edible, I guess is another technique.
Its awful what this diabetes does to such intelligent people. It can make you feel like a failure when in fact we are all dynamic diabetic solders fighting the fight day in day out. Of course we get fatigued!
We are human.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well I sort of did admit to it. It seemed appropriate on this forum because we're all sharing our issues related to blood glucose.

But you're right, generally its not something I like to tell people, and a big part of that is because I am male and it's so often associated with women.

It's a bit like there being nothing wrong with a man having a pink handbag, regardless of how he identifies himself, but you just know people are going to look at him funny.

I don't have a pink handbag, by the way. I prefer autumnal colours, they go better with my clothes, especially at this time of year:)
:) :) :)
(Smiling, a lot) ;)

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Being a male, and fungi.. Canesten's also great for dealing with athlete's foot or other fungal related foot/nail infections and can stop them getting more serious/painful on account of our sweet feet. Pharmacists sometimes seem reluctant to provide it though, and dunno if that's because they make more off branded remedies that aren't as effective.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

That’s one way to perpetuate gender bias!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s one way to perpetuate gender bias!

More of an observation, really. If I were to tell a man that he shouldn't have a pink handbag, or that he's abnormal because he has thrush, that would be perpetuating gender bias. I think the distinction is subtle but important.

Reactions: ickihun

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hiya, I'm fairly newly diagnosed, June this year. I'm massively struggling with food and seem to have fallen into bad habbits. I know it sounds stupid but can you be addicted to chocolate?! Because I'm pretty sure I am, when I wake up in the morning I have to have some, then bits and bobs throughout the day, then more in the evening, sometimes I even wake up in the night and have some. We're not even talking small amounts, probably a 200g sized dairy milk a day at least. :banghead:

When I was first diagnosed I was slighty better for a while with my food, but I've let it slip massively and I struggled so much with the low/no carbs thing. I initially lost 2.5 stone in weight, its still coming off slowly but obviously Im hindering it.

I am suffering with re-occuring thrush which is the reason I've got so fed up and come on here for advice. I've had it 3 times in the last month and keep taking a fluconazole tablet each time, the thrush is really getting me down.

I feel like I've burried my head in the sand, hoping that if I ingore it its just going to go away, and without the thrush issues I'd probably still be ignoring it.

I used to check my readings often but I havent been recently, and when I do check it ive found convincing myself that its 'not too bad' even if the reading is in the low 20s. I currently take a single 750mg sr metformin and 2 gliclazide each day.

Appologies if this post frustrates anyone, I know I'm not helping myself :(

I think you can be addicted to chocolate, I know I am. If I don’t have any I think about it all the time so I have to go to the shop to get some. I have a very unhealthy diet and people on this forum have been great with advice but unfortunately there are lots of food on the low carb diet that I don’t like.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think you can be addicted to chocolate, I know I am. If I don’t have any I think about it all the time so I have to go to the shop to get some. I have a very unhealthy diet and people on this forum have been great with advice but unfortunately there are lots of food on the low carb diet that I don’t like.
How about making low carb versions of the food you do like? Iceland have a crustless quiche in their fridge? Or do you not like egg or omelette?

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You absolutely can be addicted to chocolate, and some of the things you say you've done (go through the bins) shows that you are. I am exactly the same. I'm ashamed to say that I have also gone through the bin, gone out in the middle of the night to buy some, and have also bought a **** ton of it and then just thrown it away in disgust.

The way I see it, sugar addiction is more dangerous than heroin addiction, and I have told my family to treat me as an addict. The problem with sugar addiction is that it is freely available, cheap and people are pushing you to have it all the time. It's almost rude not to accept a biscuit at someone's house and everyone says, ' a little won't hurt'.

What has helped me has been Low carb. The first two weeks were horrendous, cold turkey on all sugar and most carbs and I felt dreadful. The image of Ewan MCGregor in Trainspotting during his cold turkey came to mind several times. However, once that was over, it was wonderful. I felt like a completely new person, perfect sugars, so much more energy and I slept better.
I fell off the wagon spectacularly, including getting a dose of nasty old thrush, but have got back on recently and thankfully haven't had the keto flu so feeling great again.

You CAN do this, it won't be easy to start with but I always came on here for motivation whenever I was craving.

Good luck, and know we are all here to support you when you need it.
Merry Christmas.

Reactions: chocoholicnomore

Diligent500

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I dislike being diabetic and two heavy I am 80kg and want to get down to 50 kg very soon.
Males please feel free not to read this post. I can also recommend canesten cream (as a Type I I've had thrush after every pregnancy and occasionally when may blood sugars are less than ideal). I'd recommend pessaries as they not only treat the infection but give pretty well instant relief.
As regards chocolate, sugar etc... Sugar is definitely addictive, but if you can keep off it the cravings do go eventually. I used to yearn for maltezers and chocolate covered almonds, but I really don't feel the attraction any more (well, maybe the almonds if it's really good quality chocolate!).
Good luck

Diligent500

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I dislike being diabetic and two heavy I am 80kg and want to get down to 50 kg very soon.
Hi Ellie M,

Can I ask you Question please as you are Type 1 and have had thrush numerous times I've been told I am type 2 I also have lots of thrush and inflammation does that mean I am type 1 because I cannot get my b.s. down with out say 25 mm of insulin 2 x per day.

I am I right in this assumption or not??????

Diligent500.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Higher than normal blood sugars are common for both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics and make it more likely for these people to have thrush (urine in the sugar is a contributery factor). So having thrush doesn't make you more likely to be Type 2. As regards insulin: Type 1s stop producing insulin altogether so have to inject : Type 2s typically still produce insulin but metabolise it badly - sometimes they end up having to have injections but often they don't. If you can't get your blood sugars down then you really need to talk to your doctor.... Good luck with it all.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @Diligent500 what inflammation have you got and what are your BG readings?
My thrush start and gets worse in the 8.0mmol/l range. You?
Only inflammation I get is with thrush symptoms and no joint etc inflammation. In fact my blood tests all come back low inflammation, thank god.
Are you feeling run down at mo and have you had your vitD levels checked?
Your low mood won't last keep posting for support, we are here for you. :)

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya, I'm fairly newly diagnosed, June this year. I'm massively struggling with food and seem to have fallen into bad habbits. I know it sounds stupid but can you be addicted to chocolate?! Because I'm pretty sure I am, when I wake up in the morning I have to have some, then bits and bobs throughout the day, then more in the evening, sometimes I even wake up in the night and have some. We're not even talking small amounts, probably a 200g sized dairy milk a day at least. :banghead:

When I was first diagnosed I was slighty better for a while with my food, but I've let it slip massively and I struggled so much with the low/no carbs thing. I initially lost 2.5 stone in weight, its still coming off slowly but obviously Im hindering it.

I am suffering with re-occuring thrush which is the reason I've got so fed up and come on here for advice. I've had it 3 times in the last month and keep taking a fluconazole tablet each time, the thrush is really getting me down.

I feel like I've burried my head in the sand, hoping that if I ingore it its just going to go away, and without the thrush issues I'd probably still be ignoring it.

I used to check my readings often but I havent been recently, and when I do check it ive found convincing myself that its 'not too bad' even if the reading is in the low 20s. I currently take a single 750mg sr metformin and 2 gliclazide each day.

Appologies if this post frustrates anyone, I know I'm not helping myself :(
Its not the Chocolate that you are addicted to, its the Sugar in it. I used to think I was addicted to chocolate too. When I went low carb upon diagnosis, the unforeseen consequence was my uncontrolled sugar/milk chocolate craving went away. Go seriously low carb, you will find that your craving will vanish. All the best.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are definitely not addicted to chocolate, it is the sugar which is added to the cocoa which makes the cravings.

It is also the food for thrush and other fungi.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I definitely agree that chocolate is an addiction. I've been struggling with it even before diagnosis. I too am constantly thinking of chocolate and when/where I'll get my next fix. I also suffer with thrush but I know it's a side effect of canafliglozin which I take along with metformin. Yep I'm in denial and using the meds as my excuse. Is love to be as strong willed as the people on her who are low carbing. I pretend I'm low carbing when it comes to meals......the chocolate in between doesn't count! It's all mind over matter and sounds so easy but I struggle with it. Another new year approaching and another resolution- same as last year and the year better and before etc-giving up the chocolate and seriously low carbing and hopefully losing weight too.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know how you feel! This Christmas has been an absolute struggle! I was also addicted to chocolate but now only have a small bar of something (wispa gold) maybe every 2-3 weeks but Christmas I decided not to deprive myself and have whatever I wanted chocolate and sweet wise.. made a lovely trifle (ridiculously sweet!) had a few after eights, a few Ferraro, few quality streets, half a tub of Pringles and have felt horrified that I’ve been testing at 10’s, 11’s, 13 tops!! When I see anything over a 10 I run a mile on the treadmill and take 2 x cinnamon tablets (they really help me). I manage with diet alone but am worried I’ll me put on tablets on my next hba1c test sometime in January... it’s so so hard to keep up low carbs and no treats, makes me think what’s the point! Can’t even have a few treats Over Christmas without feeling guilty over high readings! Hate T2!!!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read that cravings for chocolate can be caused by a magnesium deficiency - so might be worthwhile investing in a magnesium supplement.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think, for me personally, I miss not being able to eat what I want every now and again without getting highs.. If I fancy chocolate, or a pudding, or some roast potatoes etc at Christmas, I find it really hard not being able to.. I can stick to low carb mon-Friday but I do want the odd meal out or takeaway and Easter egg at Easter etc like everyone else. It doesn’t help that I work 60 hours a week in an office job where I am stationary all day. I understand what the poster is saying and it’s not so much a craving, more hard to cure old eating habits.