item 1.Things that annoy me

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife is addicted to cooking programs/competitions etc. So I am forced to watch more than I would by choice .The amount of SUGAR used is amazing and I have never heard Chefs mention diabetes or an alternative to sugar Masterchef get contestants to cook for fish guilds etc. why not for a group of Diabetics in general the baking program talk about people who cant eat gluten Jamie Oliver campaigns against sugar but where are his recipe s for those who are diabetics I could go on with example after example but what's the point

Reactions: Granny_grump_

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My wife is addicted to cooking programs/competitions etc. So I am forced to watch more than I would by choice .The amount of SUGAR used is amazing and I have never heard Chefs mention diabetes or an alternative to sugar Masterchef get contestants to cook for fish guilds etc. why not for a group of Diabetics in general the baking program talk about people who cant eat gluten Jamie Oliver campaigns against sugar but where are his recipe s for those who are diabetics I could go on with example after example but what's the point

I use Stevia instead of the poisonous sugar!

It’s zero sugar, zero carb, zero calories!

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sugar and me just do not click.Everytime i take sugar i need to poke my finger and then stab my tummy.Too bad almost everything have it with unsafe amount.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

If it was up to me, Robert Lustig's lecture on the dangers of sugar would be compulsive viewing on national TV but then again, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Jo1407

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sugar is a functional ingredient in baking and it is difficult to create the texture and appearance of baked goods by using sugar substitutes. You can however successfully reduce the % of sugar in some baked goods by around 10-20%. It’s a bit trial and error. Everything in moderation

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Things that annoy me! People who keep telling me what I should and shouldn’t be eating when they have done absolutely no reading around the subject if diabetes and low carb. What makes it worse is that this person is a diabetic themselves but who listens to the NHS and wonders why they can’t get well.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sugar is a functional ingredient in baking and it is difficult to create the texture and appearance of baked goods by using sugar substitutes. You can however successfully reduce the % of sugar in some baked goods by around 10-20%. It’s a bit trial and error. Everything in moderation

I know this but why cant gourmet cook do the trial and error and mention from time to time an adjustment for diabetics its as if we did not exist Not all Baking needs Sugar e.g savoury chefs create meals for restaurants as far as I know without any need to even try and control the sugar contents why cant cooking shows set chefs the challenge to cook delicious meals without using sugar once in a while after all Diabetics eat too & dine out

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sugar and me just do not click.Everytime i take sugar i need to poke my finger and then stab my tummy.Too bad almost everything have it with unsafe amount.

Perhaps get a FreeStyle Libre and Pump?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I know this but why cant gourmet cook do the trial and error and mention from time to time an adjustment for diabetics its as if we did not exist Not all Baking needs Sugar e.g savoury chefs create meals for restaurants as far as I know without any need to even try and control the sugar contents why cant cooking shows set chefs the challenge to cook delicious meals without using sugar once in a while after all Diabetics eat too & dine out
I love cooking and have begun to change and modify my style. I would just love a company to produce a series on nice stuff especially forT1D and how to make decent bread like stuff. Tried the keto bread on Diet doctor and it was yukky and far too salty. Just like real bread is the claim, nope!! not true

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Things that I hate... people being Uber evangelical about THEIR road to success. That’s your journey, pal. Some of us travel along a different road. “You are doing it wrong” truly makes me want to punch someone’s lights out!!! (Which I would count as a cardio work out, by the way!!!)

PS I am addicted to cookery programs!!! We can but dream :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have made comments and sent emails to various cookery programs - they say thank you and go on pushing the healthy low fat options -
I ate a huge Christmas dinner yesterday, huge and delicious and got a BG reading of 5.6mmol/l - it is so easy (sorry - for me it is easy) and I am even feeling embarrassed at my lack of problems.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"The sugar's behind you" gets me every time.

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps get a FreeStyle Libre and Pump?
Already on the way.My doctor is getting me a Dexcom G4 and omnipod but thanks to Christmas the arrived date is expected to be after new year. The running cost will bit higher than mdi(cons) but the advantage of better management (pro) in a long run.

Reactions: geefull

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The phrase 'If I can do it anyone can' really gets my back up. We are unique, just because you run can run up Mt. Everest with a carnation up your jacksy doesn't mean I can.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The phrase 'If I can do it anyone can' really gets my back up. We are unique, just because you run can run up Mt. Everest with a carnation up your jacksy doesn't mean I can.
Maybe if you take it in stages start with a walk to the shop without the carnation.

Reactions: L0llyp0p

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Errrr nothing annoys me - some things make me a bit sad, some things make me shake my head and smile wryly, some things make me feel a bit like meh, some things make me happy, some things make me frustrated- but annoyed no - can't be bothered wasting the energy

Reactions: eventhorizon