For discount when buying SD strips, quote these codes at checkout

5 tubs 264086
10 tubs 975833

xtessa1x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep having Hypos I'm only on 500my once a day but keep getting bad hypos? My nurse won't let me test as its not in the policy so never know how low I am but I know my awareness is lower than it used to be and it it taking me longer to recover from them! A friend who is a nurse says I my be a late developing type 1 (large family history and I'm 38) anyone had experience like this? Thanks in advance x
The NHS say don't test your bg so do what I did buy yourself a code free bg monitor and test anyway that way you are more in control don't just rely on your HBA1C........ Think about this would you rely on a speed camera to tell you if you were speeding?......... No you would use your speedometer ...think of your blood glucose meter as your speedometer and keep a check on things.....hope you get on fine. Theresa xx

Reactions: DrQ

Absxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have posted before about being one month in with diabetes t2, this evening I had tea which admittedly wasn't very healthy then did 20 lengths swimming then an aqua aerobics class which was my first one in a bid to get fitter. After whilst I was trying to get changed I started to get really shaky and couldn't work out how to get changed made it out to reception finally dressed and tried to get a drink from the vending machine couldn't seem to work that so called the attendant and tried to explain but couldn't string a sentence together the man got my gist and called the manager and got me a lucozade. Which after drinking I felt better. Was this a hypo?

rosalindp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another thing that often happens to T2s getting a handle on their diabetes control is to experience false hypos, whereby the blood drops a bit lower than the body is used to experiencing, and it then gives a "feed me" signal. Over time, provided a good eating/drinking regime is followed, they hypo feelings ease, although if the blood numbers drop further can come back.
@AndBreathe How long does it usually take for the body to adjust to the "new normal" & stop freaking out with hypos, please? My BS levels were v high 3.5 mths ago, but metformin instantly brought them down to "Ok-ish" of around 7 point something - but I'm still frequently having hypo (feeling)s. I've bought my own meter, so I know my levels when that happens. It could be 6.2 or it could be 8.7. (Irrespective of my BS levels, if I'm dehydrated or too warm, I feel terrible... And if don't eat something every 2 or 3 hrs... I'll also get a "hypo"...)

Thanks.

~ "Room Service? Send up a larger room." - Groucho Marx

Tabbie17

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I’m also on Metformin speak to your doctor about this as I don’t know if it’s the same for you but I take 2 tablets a day both at my main meal as I was finding I was getting hypos around mid afternoon ish particularly if I had been exercising and not had a huge lunch or breakfast. Maybe in your case a shuffle of when you take your tablets might help? Also I don’t understand the comments on the NHS not providing it, even if you haven’t been prescribed one as a diabetic you should be exempt from charge. Although I have to say I’ve been provided with a monitor and all my testing strips and lancets free on the NHS (although I live in Wales so it might be different)

Swan2019

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My nurse friend seems to think it's not the met form in but could be type 1 I tend to have a hypo if I take my met form in but don't eat enough in the day? Xx
I was diagnosed a couple of months ago and this is a problem I seem to have when I haven’t eaten enough. I also wake up in the night feeling sick. DN says she doesn’t think it is to do with the diabetes or the medicine but could not give any suggestions what it could be! It only starting happening after the recent diagnosis

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed a couple of months ago and this is a problem I seem to have when I haven’t eaten enough. I also wake up in the night feeling sick. DN says she doesn’t think it is to do with the diabetes or the medicine but could not give any suggestions what it could be! It only starting happening after the recent diagnosis
Morning @Swan2019 and welcome to the forum.

Do you have a blood glucose meter and test strips? If not, I would acquire a meter and test regularly, especially when you experience these symptoms.

Have you made any changes to your way of eating since diagnosis?

Finally, (sorry, for all the questions) what medication(s) apart from Metformin have been prescribed?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Swan2019 ,

@LivingLightly asks some excellent questions... I know it might be a bit intimidating to start testing yourself, but I really, really would. When my blood sugars started to normalise, I experienced true hypo's because of the meds I was on (gliclazide; metformin doesn't usually cause hypo's, glic does), but also something called a False Hypo. It absolutely feels and acts like a real one, and it is just as scary as a real one to go through, because as far as your body is concerned you just plain are hypoglycemic, and it won't listen to reason. ;) It's so used to you being high all the time, it'll absolutely freak out when you start showing normal, healthy numbers. Resulting in things like a pounding heart, dizziness, rubbery legs, feeling faint and whatnot... Thing is, if you treat a false hypo as a real one, (meaning you throw sugars at it), it'll just take longer for your body to get used to normal blood glucose levels. Best thing to do is eat something rich in fats and/or protein, like some cheese or something, so your body'll stop freaking out, without kicking your blood sugars up high again. But first, you have to know whether you're actually hypo, or your body just thinks you are... And that's where finger pricking comes in. The more info you have, the better.

Let us know the answers to LivingLightly's questions, and if you can at some point, let us know what your meter tells you... It'll help us help you.

You're going to be okay.
(And yes.... Metformin can cause severe gastro-intestinal upsets. Nausea, explosive diarrhea, etc, and these are very common side effects... If they don't abate after 2 weeks, they're not likely to. Be sure to take metformin with food, never ever on an empty stomach, and/or ask for the slow release version, which seems to be kinder on the insides.... To me, three weeks of metformin meant bloody bowels and dehydration, so I started looking for alternatives. Been low carbing ever since, and remained in the normal, non-diabetic range these past 7,5 years. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html is what worked for me, just so you know. You have options, metformin isn't the end all/be all of medication and/or treatments.)

You be good to yourself eh... And let us know whether we can help with anything.
Jo

Reactions: Lamont D

Swan2019

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning @Swan2019 and welcome to the forum.

Do you have a blood glucose meter and test strips? If not, I would acquire a meter and test regularly, especially when you experience these symptoms.

Have you made any changes to your way of eating since diagnosis?

Finally, (sorry, for all the questions) what medication(s) apart from Metformin have been prescribed?
I already had a glucose meter and test strips but now resorted to buying a Libre 2 so I can get a better idea what is going on with my glucose levels, especially in the night, without having to keep pricking my finger.

Cut out almost completely biscuits, had one in 2 months, have very little cakes or alcohol, or squash with sugar, some was not difficult to do as didn't have many anyway as have a gluten intolerance. when out and having a drink having water more often that not as no one these days seems to do proper slimline tonic to go with a gin, the only truly diet drink option is Coke so full of sugar. Do have one chocolate if the glucose levels are in a reasonable range and these don't seem to cause to much of a rise, but all meals seem to send my blood glucose soaring and then big falls going to low.

Was only put on Metformin.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I already had a glucose meter and test strips but now resorted to buying a Libre 2 so I can get a better idea what is going on with my glucose levels, especially in the night, without having to keep pricking my finger.

Cut out almost completely biscuits, had one in 2 months, have very little cakes or alcohol, or squash with sugar, some was not difficult to do as didn't have many anyway as have a gluten intolerance. when out and having a drink having water more often that not as no one these days seems to do proper slimline tonic to go with a gin, the only truly diet drink option is Coke so full of sugar. Do have one chocolate if the glucose levels are in a reasonable range and these don't seem to cause to much of a rise, but all meals seem to send my blood glucose soaring and then big falls going to low.

Was only put on Metformin.
If possible, could you please post your readings around your meals?
Pre meal and one hour, two hours even three and four hours after.
I would like to see how high the spikes and the loss of course.
Many thanks.