I was really, really bad this evening.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went to a coworker’s house for a holiday dinner this evening. Up until tonight I have been keeping to less than 50g of carbs. Tonight however, I totally blew it. I estimate somewhere between 250-400g of carbs.
I checked my bg before going and it was 5.7, one hour after finishing eating it was 7.9, two hours afterwards, 7.4. The numbers may seem ok but I feel like utter rubbish!!
The worst part is I have blood work this Friday and I’m worried it’ll really affect it. I have a 90 day bg average of 6.2 so I’m hoping I didn’t screw things up too badly. Ugh!!!!!

ETA; these carbs were all junk/sugar.

Last edited:

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lesson learned?! Sometimes life happens and we just have to go with it - hope you enjoyed some of the goodies! At least a little?! Tomorrow is another day of the marathon of living with diabetes! It is surprising how your body balks at the carb overload though, isn't it? I would be very surprised if one meal would skew your bloodwork, but others here might have a better opinion....Cheers/L

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Depends what tests you're having. Trigs may be fine by friday if you are *good* and you should be ok with A1c, are you going to fast for a possible lipid panel?

As to your carb splurge, we are all human and no doubt I may do the same over the festive period but I shall remember that you said you are feeling pretty miserable after having all those pesky sugars so it might deter me. Fingers crossed.

Back on the waggon today, eh?

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
400g carbs - 7.4
Four possible explanations:
1 Your meter was overwhelmed (knackered)
2 You actually dreamed the whole sordid episode
3 You put the decimal point in the wrong place
4 You pricked someone else's finger

(Hope you had a nice evening)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Blurry eyed, just out of bed syndrome left me trying to figure out what a cow workers house actually was.:)
Initial thoughts were just a farmer.
Second read explained so much more:):)

O

oh_dear_me

Don't be so hard on yourself. We've all been there...especially this time of year. I thought your numbers were pretty good actually :) especially considering how many carbs you had. If it makes you feel any better I had a slice of jam roly poly a few weeks ago...I knew it was a bad idea but I still tucked into it! Before meal 5.8 and after meal 11.2. I felt so ill, whole body felt like it was shaking and fizzing. Tested again 2 hours after that 17.6!!!! Argh...Jam roly poly never again! I couldn't sleep, felt so ill and lesson learned.

Reactions: mytype1.life

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Argh...Jam roly poly never again!.

The times I've said that. Mainly birthday cake. Devil's work. With two daughters and four grandchildren there seems to be a never ending stream of birthday parties and CAKE. I just can't say no. It's not that I lie it you understand, I just don't know how to say 'no' to a three year old.

Seriously though, it's a 24 hour recovery cycle for me. Bloods can sometimes go up to 15, or I od and go hypo and get into the yo-yo thing. Grrrrr!

Reactions: Guzzler

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was there booze involved?
That may have helped keep the numbers low.

The food hangover/grotty after effect is horrible, isn't it?
Can't tell you how many times I have said 'Never Again!'
I will grow up... one day.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No booze involved. Just a lot of sugary treats. I still feel terrible this morning. Bg 7.8 and very Bad heartburn.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Guzzler I will be fasting for a lipid panel. I normally only eat 1 meal per day anyway within a 4 hour eating window. I can’t believe I used to do this on a very regular basis and thought I felt “normal” it’s no wonder I got fat and type2.

Mrsrobbieswan

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My husband had that. As soon as he felt ill we reached for the Libre but it read fine, but he still felt ill. I think the others are bang on, it's a food hangover.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@Guzzler I will be fasting for a lipid panel. I normally only eat 1 meal per day anyway within a 4 hour eating window. I can’t believe I used to do this on a very regular basis and thought I felt “normal” it’s no wonder I got fat and type2.

Remember that most people can do it and not get T2. Our genes, I suspect, have a lot to do with it. The important thing is that *we* are addressing the issue and we are winning! Despite the the odd wobble occasionally!

Reactions: Sue192

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Mrsrobbieswan it’s definitely a food hangover. Headache, upset stomach and a small but healthy dose of self loathing. I should know better.
I’ll be back to my better eating habits again today. I have all those carbs to burn off. We got some snow so I have quite a bit of shoveling to take care of today.

Reactions: lindijanice

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I went to a coworker’s house for a holiday dinner this evening. Up until tonight I have been keeping to less than 50g of carbs. Tonight however, I totally blew it. I estimate somewhere between 250-400g of carbs.
I checked my bg before going and it was 5.7, one hour after finishing eating it was 7.9, two hours afterwards, 7.4. The numbers may seem ok but I feel like utter rubbish!!
The worst part is I have blood work this Friday and I’m worried it’ll really affect it. I have a 90 day bg average of 6.2 so I’m hoping I didn’t screw things up too badly. Ugh!!!!!

I'm a type 1 and it's nearly impossible for me to avoid going into the 7s (and often higher) after eating pretty much anything. If I ate that many carbs and the highest I went was 7.9, I'd think I was cured! Just relax and enjoy!

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@scotteric one thing that sort of gnaws at me is the numbers. I don’t want them to be an excuse to be able to do that on a frequent basis. I’m glad they are low as a year ago eating what I did last night they would have been 16+. What I do find interesting though is the last time I had a meal with rice and nowhere near the carb count as last night, my numbers were much higher (11+)
I’ll just forge ahead keeping how I feel physically right now in mind when those trays of sugary foods appear in front of me.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The notion of a food hangover is very interesting, you (troubled1) have alluded to it, Mrs Robbie too.
I'm sure you're feeling so bad after a relative mountain of rubbish is testament to how well you have done up to that point. And yes, your body just can't handle it any more. It's almost like a toxic shock to the system.
I know I took the micky in an earlier post but the readings you quoted were pretty darn good considering what you'd eaten.
Anyhow, stick at it and best of luck with your Friday test.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just get back on the wagon , and dont let the cravings that are going to hit you cause you to go off plan--- you can do it.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Perhaps you were feeling guilty from eating the carbs and that made you feel bad as your BG levels weren't that bad. I don't think it will affect your blood test if it is an HbA1C as that averages the levels over the last three months not the last few days