Update on my current situation

Fluffy12

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
So I called my gp and explained my symptoms to him,the constant thirst and having to go to the toilet often,fatigue,blurry vision,and he told me to come in the next day having eaten nothing the night before and in the morning.

So I came to see him at 9 in the morning and he tested my blood sugar and it came out to be 7.8. He was a little bit concerned but told me to keep an eye on my symptoms and go home.
Should have I pursued it further?

I am also noticing that my symptoms fluctuate and some days can be okay whilst others I feel very sick
Is that normal?
Thank you

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We can't diagnose anything here obviously, but in your situation I'd be inclined to at least have another word with them and try and ask for some sort of explanation.
Did they not have any theories about why you are feeling the way you do?

Reactions: dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
With a fasting blood glucose level of 7 or above, your doctor should have ordered a further blood test for you, an HbA1c. This is the test normally used to diagnose diabetes. Whilst your result of 7.8 is higher than normal, it does not on its own imply you have diabetes, but it does indicate there is a possibility, so the HbA1c should be done to confirm one way or the other.

Reactions: Fluffy12 and dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I called my gp and explained my symptoms to him,the constant thirst and having to go to the toilet often,fatigue,blurry vision,and he told me to come in the next day having eaten nothing the night before and in the morning.

So I came to see him at 9 in the morning and he tested my blood sugar and it came out to be 7.8. He was a little bit concerned but told me to keep an eye on my symptoms and go home.
Should have I pursued it further?

I am also noticing that my symptoms fluctuate and some days can be okay whilst others I feel very sick
Is that normal?
Thank you
I think doctor should have ordered HbA1c or OGTT just to check.

Reactions: Fluffy12

Fluffy12

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Reactions: Guzzler

Fluffy12

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
We can't diagnose anything here obviously, but in your situation I'd be inclined to at least have another word with them and try and ask for some sort of explanation.
Did they not have any theories about why you are feeling the way you do?
He seemed kind of lost and didn't tell me anything about what might be causing it

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He seemed kind of lost and didn't tell me anything about what might be causing it

I sympathize that you have been left in the lurch, it must feel horrid and isolating.
As has been said above, commenting from a non-medical perspective I must admit, I would have thought further blood tests may have been in order to try and help you.
Perhaps see if you can find an other GP?

Reactions: Fluffy12

Fluffy12

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I sympathize that you have been left in the lurch, it must feel horrid and isolating.
As has been said above, commenting from a non-medical perspective I must admit, I would have thought further blood tests may have been in order to try and help you.
Perhaps see if you can find an other GP?
I will see another gp if things don't get better. Thank you!!

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP sent me to the diabetes clinic at a fasting level of 6, so I think you should ask for additional tests at 7.8.