Advised to reuse lances? Is that right?

buffyiscool

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I change mine every use as that is what my diabetic nurse told me. Only testing twice daily so mine last 50 days. Up to now haven't had any complaints from GP surgery about how many I'm using. To be honest my GP surgery staff have been really helpful regarding my diabetes and related problem medications. Type 2 on Gliclazide and Humulin I insulin.

crumblecookie

I did tend to reuse my lancets when I first was diagnosed but after looking at some pictures of infected fingers shown to me by my doctor and being told you MUST use a new lancet each time I now do so.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Through my wife’s prescription plan at work my box of 100 lancets and 100 test strips for my verio costs a whopping $19.00
My Dr has finally given me a perpetual Rx for these. I do test up to 8x/day so I burn through them rather quickly.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use mine sometimes for 6 weeks depends how many times a day you test and on your pain threshold. I have been testing for over 15 years now so my pain threshold has increased with time.it does get easier. I wash hand and have never had an infection yet.
Question if I as a lancet maker say on the label change when you feel pain say once a week I sell 52 a year if I say for Single use only I sell 365 a year. What would you say ????
Perhaps I am being cynical

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Your nurse should not have told you to reuse as they are classified as single use only. They do go blunt after a couple of uses and I find they hurt then. I tend to change each day.
I change mine when I change my testing cassette which is 50 tests and am happy to say i've never had a problem, I don't think a nurse should have said though and of course the manufacturer wants you to change them at every test to make themselves more profit.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I change mine when it starts to hurt never had a problem. I don't get mine on prescription many T2's cannot get them or strips we have to buy our own

Reactions: dbr10

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it's a risk issue. Which then becomes a potential liability issue. So if we ignore manufacturer's advice & get an infection, it's our fault for not following their instructions. Then it becomes a risk reduction exercise. So if we wash our hands properly before use, that reduces the risk of bacteria or gunk being transfered from our skin.. Which then leaves most of the risk being transfer from needle to finger, or stabbie device to needle & then finger. Those risks can then be reduced by keeping those bits clean.. Which is one reason why I like the FastClix pen. Most of the risk's in the cartridge & cap. One's throwaway, the rest is easy to clean.