Macular Degeneration

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of the negatives of diabetes is the adverse effects it has on eye sight. My diabetes was so unhelpful, that the focus of my eyes varied daily, such that I had an ice cream container filled with cheap pairs of spectacles to allow me to pick a pair for use each day. My eyesight was also tested by a slight cataract in the right eye, and a heavy duty cataract in my left eye. After attending QEII hospital in Welwyn, my cataract was deemed suitable for removal (I was within days of voluntarily stopping driving, as I found it difficult to see ahead and the kerbside at the same time). My left cataract was removed on the 11th November in a 30 minute operation, under local anasthetic, and after its removal, an artificial lens replaced the faulty one. Today, I am back to driving normally and (tic!) reading number plates on aeroplanes. For the benefit of future recipients, the whole operation was painless, and the only discomfort was having to look at a "bright" light, whilst the surgeon completes the task. Because I had Lasik treatment in 2004, the consultant required me to contact that surgeon to obtain the pre-Lasik treatment prescription records so that calculations for the cataract treatment could be computed using those.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the negatives of diabetes is the adverse effects it has on eye sight. My diabetes was so unhelpful, that the focus of my eyes varied daily, such that I had an ice cream container filled with cheap pairs of spectacles to allow me to pick a pair for use each day. My eyesight was also tested by a slight cataract in the right eye, and a heavy duty cataract in my left eye. After attending QEII hospital in Welwyn, my cataract was deemed suitable for removal (I was within days of voluntarily stopping driving, as I found it difficult to see ahead and the kerbside at the same time). My left cataract was removed on the 11th November in a 30 minute operation, under local anasthetic, and after its removal, an artificial lens replaced the faulty one. Today, I am back to driving normally and (tic!) reading number plates on aeroplanes. For the benefit of future recipients, the whole operation was painless, and the only discomfort was having to look at a "bright" light, whilst the surgeon completes the task. Because I had Lasik treatment in 2004, the consultant required me to contact that surgeon to obtain the pre-Lasik treatment prescription records so that calculations for the cataract treatment could be computed using those.

PNJB - I'm a bit confused by the title of your thread. I thought macular degeneration impacted the retina at the back of the ye, whereas cataracts impact the lenses? Do you also have macular degeneration as well as cataracts?

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Macular degeneration affects the central part of the retina, the macular, and resulting in distortion and loss of central vision. I have some macular degenration (seen as red blood spots on the back of my eye, at my last annual hospital eye test, as well as the afore mentioned cataract, however I regard anybody who drives and would not currently pass the eye test standard (20/20 vision or fourth line up from the bottom on the standard opticians eye chart (and which pre cataract OP. I would not) as having visual degeneration. Google informs me that the macular is located in the centre of the eye. Just for the record, I was trying to write an informative and helpful experience log for other possible sufferes, who might be nervous of undergoing such an operation rather than a medical treatise.

Last edited:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
thanks @PNJB
but the post above from DCUK still leaves the question unanswered -- macular degeneration and cataracts are not the same thing

I suffer with some maculopathy in my left eye -- were I to depend on it -- I would fail a sight test for driving even though I can see OK with it ( central vision being affected )-- my right eye is still perfect -- so my driving sight is unnaffected.

i have linked a study here that associates ARM ( age related maculopathy ) as an increased risk, following cataract surgery

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0161642003008169