I'm addicted to making fathead dough!

Roxanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I may have to start buying mozzarella, ground almonds and cream cheese in bulk!

Just tried the sausage rolls from the Ditch the Carbs website, quite happy with how they turned out...

2193cc3ec8f9ac7baa1f0051ae0c0b1e.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I may have to start buying mozzarella, ground almonds and cream cheese in bulk!

Just tried the sausage rolls from the Ditch the Carbs website, quite happy with how they turned out...

2193cc3ec8f9ac7baa1f0051ae0c0b1e.jpg
They look fantastic. Will give them a try when I’m back on my feet!

Roxanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very easy to make too.

I think the great thing about the dough is that it's impossible to overeat as it's so filling. I used to be able to polish off a whole pizza but can only manage one or two small slices of this.

Wish I could get my husband on board, he says it tastes like cake

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm planning a great big in your face turkey and ham pie for the family on Christmas Tuesday- always make it but usually have to have willpower of steel to discard my pastry- not this year - nom nom nom

Reactions: Sue192

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having struggled to get the consistency right the first time I tried, I have to say I'm not remotely addicted to making it.

Eating it, however... :)

I'm sure I will be addicted to making it once I've mastered it! This dough has so much potential. I wonder what would happen if you added suet to the mix...

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very easy to make too.

I think the great thing about the dough is that it's impossible to overeat as it's so filling. I used to be able to polish off a whole pizza but can only manage one or two small slices of this.

Wish I could get my husband on board, he says it tastes like cake
My hubby prefers it to ‘real’ pizza now!

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How many carbs per roll or for a medium size pizza?

Roxanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How many carbs per roll or for a medium size pizza?
Around 5g, obviously depends what is in the sausages. The ones I used were 97% meat and only 1.5g per 2 sausages. Off the top of my head I think a slice of pizza is around 4g, again depends what toppings you use.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Around 5g, obviously depends what is in the sausages. The ones I used were 97% meat and only 1.5g per 2 sausages. Off the top of my head I think a slice of pizza is around 4g, again depends what toppings you use.

Thank you

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yum they look so good. The family love sausage rolls and my downfall is the pastry so I will definitely be making these.

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'm making the fathead pizza tonight. Does anyone know if it will freeze well - or rather be ok again once defrosted?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have frozen it before and it still tasted ok. I froze it in individual freezer bags so I could just grab the amount of slices that I wanted.

Reactions: Heatherpat

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Made the dough yesterday for the first time - er, somewhat overcooked - probably made the pastry too thin - and not remotely round! But broken in bits it's ok for dips and as a sort of cheese cracker, like @slinkimalinki says. Have never liked 'normal' sausage rolls but those look yummy, @Roxanne. Opens up the possibility of real pies.....

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well I did have some reservations about this once I started making it. Once you add the egg the whole thing is very wet and sticky to work with. Once you mix the egg in a bit then you will need to get kneading with your hand. However this is only for a very short time and it dough'd up really well.

I think if it was going to be frozen, it may be better to do so just as a pizza base and then add the toppings once you take it out to use - so cook the base as per the first part of the recipe then may freeze it once cool enough?

A couple of observations from my first effort last night - make sure you put the toppings right to the edge. If you don't - and you have made the base thin, the edges will crisp and even burn before the toppings are hot and sizzly.

Also, if you are using a fan oven, as I was - and I preheated it - the pizza and base will take less time than the recipe says so may be worth knocking off a few mins and checking the base is not getting over done.

I used frozen garlic in my dough mix (you can buy it ready to sprinkle in many supermarkets) and it gives a lovely favour. For my toppings I used the rest of the mozzarella over the tomato puree, pepperoni, a few stray olives, and finished with a bit of smoked cheese.

OH was most impressed with the final result - which now means he eats more healthily too.