Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hiya,
A simple question
Do you wear anything which identifies you as being diabetic?

I don't but don't know if I should, thanks Sue

Reactions: Snapsy

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dog tag necklace with Type 1 and other information.
Diabetic information card in wallet.
Diabetic tattoo on inner left forearm.

I believe @Snapsy wears something very fashionable and probably more in line for ladies.:)

Reactions: kev-w and Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @SueJB ,

Think of it this way.. If you were found in a hypoglycaemic state? You wouldn't wish them to assume you were drunk or "high"...

In the the unlikely event you were knocked unconscious by a bus. You would hope that the Doctor involved in your care was awair of your insulin dependency..

Every little helps.

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes I have medic alert bracelet.it is worth it and if u cannot.converse then this gives family tel nos.to contact I feel safe wearing it I have worn it for years now a.must have in my view.
Type 1 47 years.

Reactions: therower

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sue

I did when I was taking glicalazide because it can give a hypo. Now I’m only on metformin I do not.

I do, however, have a card in my purse that identifies me, my conditions and my medication. I also have this info on my phone under the health section.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I believe @Snapsy wears something very fashionable and probably more in line for ladies.:)
Not terribly fashionable but I do really love it - it pre-dates the fancy chainmail ones they've got now - it's the standard Medic Alert bracelet in sterling silver. I had the steel and red version from age about 14 I think, then some years ago I was given the silver one by someone special, and I've worn it ever since.
https://www.medicalert.org.uk/buy-jewellery/store/product/24/silver-classic-bracelet

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not terribly fashionable but I do really love it - it pre-dates the fancy chainmail ones they've got now - it's the standard Medic Alert bracelet in sterling silver. I had the steel and red version from age about 14 I think, then some years ago I was given the silver one by someone special, and I've worn it ever since.
https://www.medicalert.org.uk/buy-jewellery/store/product/24/silver-classic-bracelet
Those look so nice, too bad my parents already got a dog tag for me:arghh:.Not that i do not like it but it just feel like something a boy will wear and it just look weird.

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Over the Christmas break I've been out running a lot on my own, @SueJB , and I have agreed with Mr S that I will wear my parkrun barcode wristband in addition to my Medic Alert bracelet, because that has 'type 1 diabetes' and my name and his phone number on it.

What I love about Medic Alert is that they hold next of kin info, doctor into and medication info on me - and what Mr S loves about my parkrun band is that it has HIS number on it plain to see in case (in his words) I end up 'upside down....'!

:)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wear an SOS Talisman on a chain round my neck. I also have my medical ID viewable on the lock screen of my iPhone.

Reactions: Madmaureen

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Me only when I was a kid, I don't carry anything, but the tattoo sounds great, in the summer I am having one of mine the grapevine one made larger, so I will add a new one too

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hiya,
A simple question

I am only type 2 so it is not as vital for me but after a very long wait for a blood test I obtained a bracelet I bought for a couple of £ off ebay that just says "Alert type 2 diabetic". I wear it when I have an operation or go to "class" at hospital. It has met with universal approval even though my medical records clearly state I am t2d -or so I am told :). So at the very least I advise you have that. best to err on safe side of caution.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have a Quoll Digital Medical ID card on a lanyard, for when I play bowls as the pendant one annoy me when playing.

It has all of my details in the QR Code, which can be read by anyone with a qr code reader on their mobiles.

https://quollmedical.com.au/product/medical-card/

medical-card-600x600.jpg

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Here’s my silicone wrist band:

0346d1043e092bbb57a07b95dae5e2d1.jpg

I’ve had positive comments from A&E staff!

Full text is “Medical Alert Type 1 Diabetes Insulin Dependant”

Ebay bargain at under £2, choice of colours: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/222120784863

I bought two, but I’ve been wearing the same one for over a year: it seems to be indestructible.

You can buy T2 bands with appropriate text.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't. Except I usually have insulin and meter in my pockets which spells diabetes clear enough. Should I be unconcious, someone will probably phone an ambulance, and I believe glucose check comes right after checking if you're still alive, not bleeding to death and not in danger of broken neck or back. Seems good enough to me. Third, if something happens, someone will probably try to phone someone with my phone. I keep it unlocked and anyone on the other end will tell them I have diabetes. I guess I would do differently if I had a history of needing assistence with hypo's though.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have that Quoll medical ID in post #12 on the lock screen of my phone, but not with the qr code blanked out though. :D

AWo9mk0.png

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hiya,
A simple question

I can be identified by my pained expression when I am walking down the supermarket aisles.:arghh:

Seriously, as a T2 on just Metformin I don't think I would be at major risk in an accident or emergency; at least until they tried to revive me with hot sweet tea.

I think anyone with a hypo risk should wear something, however, just in case.

Dabe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have a type 2 wristband on my key ring and usually carry my bg meter been a hgv driver which also contains my tablets

P

pollensa

I wear an SOS Talisman on a chain round my neck. I also have my medical ID viewable on the lock screen of my iPhone.
I note excellent results athough not a doctor, and this is purely personal comments, I notice since the dropping of your A1C from high to now current which is very good, may I enquire have you considered or thoughts passed your mind these results are purely from the fact your taking medication ie. they are not real results but false if you look at it that way? It looks as though your situation is getting better, but in reality its not as what happens if you stop the metformin for example.

I refused Metformin to give you example, my doc refused to allow me change of lifestyle, low carb keto eating intermittent fasting 3 times a week,and exercising daily 4,00 to 10,000 steps a day 4klm up to 9klm a day depending on weather and other, this change of lifestyle resulted

lowered my A1C by 23% in 12 weeks NO MEDICATION.

My doc on viewing the results said excellent! but of course as I quote him "its understandable, the medication is working as it should keeping your sugar levels down i.e this shows up over the 3 months on the A1C testing"! How wrong was my Doc.

I had great pleasure to inform him, with no disrespect to him, I decided not to take the metformin, put them down the toilet basically, continued to take charge of my own body, which I know best, and the 23% lowered results on my A1C are due to completely 100% natural reversal of numbers, and not with assistance of a synthetic drug that can damage other organs kidneys as I am informed if true, and other, along with keeping sugar levels low, so A1C that show excellence of lowered results, when taking medication, may be the case, but the question the real question is, IS THE A1C TRUE...not really its giving false illusion that ones A1C is better, yes it may be, not by the bodys natural format of change of lifestyle, diet and exercise as was the result of my own A1C reducement.

It frustrates myself, that so many thousands of people, may be so happy to see a reduced A1C whilst on medication, the reality is another thing, and my question is and sadly it seems, NOT MANY if any take into consideration this??

Mallorca

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I note excellent results athough not a doctor, and this is purely personal comments, I notice since the dropping of your A1C from high to now current which is very good, may I enquire have you considered or thoughts passed your mind these results are purely from the fact your taking medication ie. they are not real results but false if you look at it that way? It looks as though your situation is getting better, but in reality its not as what happens if you stop the metformin for example.

I refused Metformin to give you example, my doc refused to allow me change of lifestyle, low carb keto eating intermittent fasting 3 times a week,and exercising daily 4,00 to 10,000 steps a day 4klm up to 9klm a day depending on weather and other, this change of lifestyle resulted

lowered my A1C by 23% in 12 weeks NO MEDICATION.

My doc on viewing the results said excellent! but of course as I quote him "its understandable, the medication is working as it should keeping your sugar levels down i.e this shows up over the 3 months on the A1C testing"! How wrong was my Doc.

I had great pleasure to inform him, with no disrespect to him, I decided not to take the metformin, put them down the toilet basically, continued to take charge of my own body, which I know best, and the 23% lowered results on my A1C are due to completely 100% natural reversal of numbers, and not with assistance of a synthetic drug that can damage other organs kidneys as I am informed if true, and other, along with keeping sugar levels low, so A1C that show excellence of lowered results, when taking medication, may be the case, but the question the real question is, IS THE A1C TRUE...not really its giving false illusion that ones A1C is better, yes it may be, not by the bodys natural format of change of lifestyle, diet and exercise as was the result of my own A1C reducement.

It frustrates myself, that so many thousands of people, may be so happy to see a reduced A1C whilst on medication, the reality is another thing, and my question is and sadly it seems, NOT MANY if any take into consideration this??

Mallorca

Hi Pollensa
You have posted a similar comment in reply to one of my previous posts. Here is a copy of my reply to you then (with weight loss figures updated). My thoughts remain the same. Could you please refrain from bothering to type your thoughts on my posts again. As I said before we’ll have to agree to differ.
“I put a lot of effort into controlling my blood sugar levels, I count my carb intake very accurately (50-70g/day), I test very regularly to check if my body isn’t tolerating something I’ve eaten. I don’t eat pasta, rice, normal bread or cereals. Metformin does very little to lower blood glucose levels and my levels do not spike and dip dramatically so I have faith that my HbA1c is an accurate reflection of my readings. It has also helped me lose 31.4kg easily, which will help too. I’m happy to take Metformin for the small amount it helps my blood sugar by stalling liver dump and helping ease insulin resistance, and also for the other benefits it gives. Fasting doesn’t suit me, I’ve tried it, my blood glucose levels just rise until I eat! I tested that recently when I fasted for my blood test.
I’m happy with the way I’m dealing with my Diabetes and you’re obviously happy with your way and thus we have to agree to differ.”