School going to start soon.

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On 2 of January 2018 will be my first time attending school as a diabetic. Any people here can give me some tips of what to expect.I worry about how my friends and teachers will see me.Too many things to worry.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not a type one and I’m way passed school age! But I would say be straight with your friends about what’s happening with your health. Educate them about your diabetes, especially helping you if you suffer a hypo. I guess your parents should have a talk with the staff to make them aware too, in case of difficulties. Best wishes for the New Year x

Reactions: Gabrielle_Tai

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have fun first and don't over think things, tell your friends always carry something with you and explain why, if you do get you pump it will make things better, I made it through school, and I wasn't the best diabetic, just keep an eye on your BG, but do enjoy best years ever X X X

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do not let your diabetes control the best years of your life. Let your friends know about your diabetes and educate them on how to deal with a possible hypo/hyper.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't worry about what people think of you - the good ones will know that T1 doesn't make any difference! It might feel weird testing and injecting in front of other people, but I guarantee most of them won't even notice, and if they do they'll probably be too polite to ask you about it. If some mean people do bother you about it, just ignore it and stick with your friends. And then log on here and come and rant about it with us - we love a good rant!

Lots of people don't understand T1 very well and may have misconceptions - they might ask you if you ate too many sweets or drank too much soft drink, they might say you can't be diabetic since you're not fat, they may think that some miracle diet will cure your diabetes. Don't listen to them - if they are open minded you can use it as a chance to educate them, if they are not then you know the truth, so don't let them persuade you otherwise!

Make sure you talk to your teachers - tell them that you are a T1, you need to test/eat/inject sometimes in class, and what to do in an emergency.